PDA

View Full Version : Newbie on the block

rdaneel
26-03-09, 11:01
hi,

too be honest I dont know if I am having panic attacks or not !
I did think I was about to have a heart attack or that I was suffering from some weird lung disorder as I have been having palpatations, shortness of breath and feelings of disassociation for 18 months now and have even taken myself off to the A&E Dept of my local hospital when the symptoms have got really bad.

Anyway, my GP just shook his head and told me that there is nothing wrong with me and to go home. After changing docs i have had an ECG, 24 tracer, MRI, X Rays and cameras down my throat to name but a few tests. Apparently physically I'm fine, so what's going on ?
The doc says my symptoms are my body's way of dealing with stress. Great, still feel like I'm dieing but now I think I'm going mad too:yesyes:

Was really good to find this website so , hello to everyone :)

Tom

hamptongirl
26-03-09, 11:46
hey tom and welcome to the site,just wanted to reassure you that neither you are dying or going mad,it certainly sounds like you are suffering with stress anxiety and the feelings you are getting feel very real,they are actually harmless.i think it was very unprofessional for your gp to tell you that is the way our bodies deal with stress and then to send you home to deal with it,but there are plenty of good people and good advice on this site that should help you through some of wat yor suffering,please feel free to message me anytime you want as i hav had this for the last 30yrs and i am still alive to tell the story lol,you take care for now.x

kittykat
26-03-09, 12:00
Hi there and :welcome: to the site, lots of good advice here and a good chatroom as well, take care xx

Danny_dingle
26-03-09, 12:23
Hey Tom,

I too have literally just registered on this site today as I think it is awesome and has helped and reassured me massively whenever I was panicing!

It does sound an awful lot like you are having panic attacks, they can be terrible to cope with and feel really severe sometimes, I would know having suffered them for at least the past 4 years and not seeking help until the past year or so.

My best advice to you would be to be persistent. Is there another, more sympathetic doctor you can see at your surgery? It is just a case of putting your foot down and explaining to them how much of an effect the worry is having on your day-to-day life, and telling them that you need their help.

Also, if you look on the internet, there are tons of different independent and free counselling places you can go to where they can help you to get this sorted by yourself if your doctors don't seem to be much help.

Don't worry, everything will be fine, especially as you are being so pro-active about getting yourself better!

Keep us posted on your progress, all the best,

Danny xxx

Patty
26-03-09, 16:38
Hi Tom, :)

:welcome: to NMP. It's great that you've joined. There is so much information & help here.

Best wishes :)