PDA

View Full Version : can people with GAD work ok?

nicros
27-03-09, 13:50
Hi have had GAD for a few years now. Was a teacher before and left to bring up my kids, after post natal depression was diagnosed with GAD, I also have some depression, sometimes panic attacks and some OCD in the form of constant counting in my head and intrusive thoughts. I feel different from when I worked and couldn't possibly teach again feeling like this. I am in no rush to work but atm the thought of working anywhere scares me to death I even have panic attacks when I go shopping, I am on 75 + 37.5mg venlafaxine. Does anyone out there manage to work feeling like this or is anyone on benefits? would like some advice please, thanks Nic

JohnBliss
27-03-09, 20:59
Hi there
I carried on working for many years with all of the symptoms you describe.
I have found that my symptoms are far worse since I retired which I put down to not having so much to occupy my mind and therefore distractions to "take me out of myself "
You might find that you will feel better when you're back at work once you "feel the fear and do it"
Best of Luck
John

tskin
27-03-09, 21:44
I had it very bad in 2007, but carried on working. I worked in a very physically demanding job too so it was very hard.

PoppyC
27-03-09, 22:28
Hi Nic :)
I am sorry to hear your experiences. I think being able to work, when suffering with anxiety/depression all depends on the individual and how they feel they would or wouldnt be able to cope with working. If you are not ready for it, then personally I would wait until you feel that you are. Everyone is different. Some people can work with anxiety and others cant.
I had a really good job and after I got made redundant from it is when everything seemed to spiral downhill rapidly for me. It really knocked my confidence about working. I was diagnosed with GAD amongst other things, which I didnt want to admit to, but I do now.
I had a breakdown last year after a few years of all sorts of horrid things happening... I am now agoraphobic and was beginning to get extremely anxious and suffer with social phobia all over again after moving into a new home and then the death of my dad in Dec, so I went onto medication for the first time in my life. I am hoping that these will help me to be able to lead a fairly 'normal life' again. For now I just would not be able face being out there in a busy office with all those people around me....It makes me feel ill just thinking about it... I would end up having to run out I just know...Like you said, it scares me to death!
I have set up my own business now from home which is doing ok . Could you maybe think about doing something like that for now? I do realise that being at home does give me a lot of time to dwell on my issues, so I make sure I am always occupied.
I hope things improve for you. Is the Venlafaxine helping you at all?

Stressed32
28-03-09, 02:49
Hi Nic- I am a teacher suffering from GAD and HA. I will tell you that I personally notice that my symptoms are worse in the AM but once I am at work, the kids get my mind off of my anxiety & health scares. They keep me busy. My worse episodes are during breaks. Sad to say...this is the 1st time in 8 years of teaching that I am dreading summer for fear I may really lose it...so I signed up for a Master's Program :)

mothermac
28-03-09, 04:17
I too suffer from anxiety really bad and I work at Tesco.The job is very demanding and quite stressful as it's till work and customers are not the most understanding in the world but I feel as though I need some sort of distraction from the hideous feelings that anxiety can give you.I had a panic attack at work last night funnily enough and I haven't had a full blown one like that for a while.They were understanding and I just took time out for 10 minutes then I felt better,I think it was a combination of feeling a bit under the weather,a busy shop and I had just stuffed a cake down my mouth which was loaded with sugar so I will try and cool it a little in the future,I would encourage anybody who suffers from this awful condition to get on out there in the world as what have we got otherwise? colleagues help us get through the days and we need to feel normal like others who don't suffer from any form of mental distress.When I didn't work I found my symptoms much much worse as I didn't have enough going on in my life to take my thoughts away from my myself and I used to dwell on how I was feeling with the anxiety all the time,now I feel like I am needed somewhere else and part of a team which has helped me a lot,I couldn't bear to think I would have to go back to 5 days a week just being a housewife.It does depend on the individual though and some folk would hate to work with anxiety as the demands of work life and all that pressure may make some symptoms worse,it's 2 sides of the coin really.Good luck in your decision and I hope everything goes well.

nicros
28-03-09, 13:47
Thankyou everyone who took the time to read or reply to my question. I don't know how I taught full time but I did it and as I've been off for 6 years now since my daughter was born I feel so out of touch and think I have lost my personality and confidence quite a bit. There were days at work when I did struggle and felt exhausted when I got in but I'm lucky I don't have to work fulltime again. I used to teach Art so I have started making cards and hope to sell them but like a couple of you on here I had a terrible yeart last year which has really knocked me for six. My hubby also a teacher has had 2 opps and has been off for over a year so the money has stopped and he is hoping to go back soon even though the school have tried to talk him out of it. Our close friend died of cancer, my Dad was diagnosed with a crippling back problem, my sister attempted suicide and was sectioned again, my friends hubby was diagnosed with cancer and so was my husbands Aunty. My daughter had an operation and so did I, it really was a nightmare year and every time something happened I got lower and lower, the venlafaxine did work really well when I first went on it 2 years ago at 75mg but have upped the dose to another 37.5mg later in the day as 150mg made me feel awfull. Feel a bit better now and coping better but have a lot of side effects still. I think I need some time out for a while and then see how I feel about going back to work, but like you I couldn't stand the thought of being there now I would run away and hide. Thanks again everyone Nic