PDA

View Full Version : New and worried

worryw
27-03-09, 17:57
Hi
I'm not sure if I am posting in the right place as have never done this before....but I really hope you can help.

Feeling awful with horrible, tight throat, sticky swallowing etc...and to make things worse I went and googled the symptoms....which made me go from worried to panicked. SO how do I calm down?

amz
27-03-09, 18:06
You calm down by trying to stay positive. the more you panick the worce you will get. There is no point in fighting these feelings because they will just get worse.
THERE IS NOTHING WRONG WITH YOU.
you have to try and understand that. how long have you been suffering with panic attacks. have you been to your docs etc...
I have been suffering for the past 2 and half years.....
What symptoms do you get.
Try and stay positive. i do. i have good days and bad days.
hope this helps x

lostdaydreaming
27-03-09, 18:40
hi. i have been where you are, i have panic attacks for about 8 years. i always google everything i feel and i would only read the worse thing it could be. now i try not to google. breath and know you are OK.

worryw
27-03-09, 19:12
Thank you for the posts...I was not expecting responses so quickly..thank you!

I guess I have been having attacks for about 8 years now. This throat thing must have started more than four years ago...I think. I went to several docs about feeling this lump in my throat and they all said it was due to anxiety... but I have remained aware of my swallowing although it did go away...if I am honest usually replaced by another health worry....sigh! There are some weeks I could be at the docs every day. I thought I was better, but now for some reason it all feels so much worse and I feel I should go back to the docs beause this might not be all in my head//// but that makes me feel even more panicked because I am scared of what they will say. It feels different this time because before it was just a feeling of something stuck but now I feel my throat is tightening and am so aware of swallowing food or anything....and so it goes on and on...sigh!

kittykat
27-03-09, 19:36
Hi there and :welcome: to the site , a lot of good advice and support here, the chatroom is also very good, you take care xx

MoodyBlue
27-03-09, 19:47
Hey worryw,

I think on bad days (which we all have), we all doubt if all the health anxiety can be in our heads...but I can assure you it is! You can feel the swallowing more because you're thinking about it. If you read the posts on symptoms, you will see the same message coming across for all different kinds of symptoms. The more you think about the ache/pain/discomfort etc, the worse it seems to get!!! I know that doesn't help you right now, but the more you read the posts on here, the more you come to realise that you're not alone in feeling these things! I don't think anxiety can go away on it's own, especially if you have been suffering for 8 years - have you had CBT or read any of the self-help books?

Take care! x

Patty
28-03-09, 09:48
Hi Worryw, :hugs:

:welcome: to NMP. It's great that you've joined. There is so much information & help here.

Best wishes :)

jessicalittler79
28-03-09, 14:59
hi my name is jessica and iam 29 ive had ax every sence i was 14 years old and what you are asking yes honey ive had that and been to the doctors so many times for it ..i think u will be fine nothing to worrire about try your hardest to get it off ur mind

Southern_Belle
28-03-09, 18:37
Hi Worry,

Welcome to NMP. Many here will be able to relate how you are feeling and will give their support.

Take care,

Laura

worryw
28-03-09, 21:01
Hi and a big thank you to all who have replied. I feel a little better...I went for a run and have ordered a book on coping with HA...also have made contact with a CBT counsellor/hypnotist as advised by one very helpful member...so thank you. IT is still there but at least I am not in astate of complete panic. Thank you

sunshine-lady
28-03-09, 21:26
Hi and welcome to NMP

So pleased that you have found us. I am sure you will like it here as there is so much help, information and support. There is a chat room which is a great place to make new friends

Take care xxx

http://www.nomorepanic.co.uk/images/misc/progress.gif

worryw
02-04-09, 17:24
Well it has not been a good day on the anxiety front. I finally bit the bullet and went to see the doc. She looked at my throat,but was more interested in my HA...understandably. But she really panicked me when she asked me at the end...so do you thin you need to have a camera down your throat? I said I really did not know....now symptoms are worse..arghhH!