PDA

View Full Version : help please.. short of breath.. very scared!

eddiemell
27-03-09, 18:45
im an 18 year old and have recently been getting really short of breath kind of a drowning feeling and needing to take really deep breaths all the time!
i also get a sicky feeling with it and had a panic attack this morning because of it.
does anyone feel the same way or have any advice?
thanks Eddie

Cat
27-03-09, 21:16
Hiya!! I know exactly how you feel. About two years ago i started feeling really short of breath, shaky and felt really sick whenever i tried to eat something. I didn't know what it was which made me worse i thought i was dying. Every single day for about two months i had these really panicky feelings. I had tests at the doctors and an ecg on my heart which all came back fine. I didn't believe the doctor when he said that it was panic attacks and anxiety because i didn't think i was stressed or anything.

is there anything in your life thats bothering you at the moment? anything in your life thats upsetting you? don't think that you are dying or going crazy because your not.
:bighug1:

My advice is go to the doctors so you know exactly what your dealing. My doctor has been great in reassuring and helping me.

Nicola_lou
28-03-09, 00:44
Hi I have same problem have done for last 2 mths horrible thing.
I had tests done by doc just to make sure I didn't have asma and a ecg
Done.
But it was anxiety causing it. He said when you are stressed out could be
About a million things you start developing physical symtoms.

Hope that helps hun. Good luck
Email me if you want to be reasured

Southern_Belle
28-03-09, 18:54
Hi Eddie,

Welcome to NMP. Many here will be able to relate how you are feeling and will give their support. I sometimes get short of breath but I have some asthma. If it continues I would see your GP for a physical but it could all be anxiety related. Hope you feel better soon.

Take care,

Laura

sunshine-lady
28-03-09, 21:26
Hi and welcome to NMP

So pleased that you have found us. I am sure you will like it here as there is so much help, information and support. There is a chat room which is a great place to make new friends

Take care xxx

http://www.nomorepanic.co.uk/images/misc/progress.gif

Liam
29-03-09, 03:00
Hey there! You are in good company here.

I have experienced shortness and gasping for breath too. I thought I had heart disease for months but was too scared to go to a doctor. Lots of other people here had the same problem. They can be easily overcome with a few breathing techniques.

You should try the following: Take full deep breaths in the following ratio of 1:4:2. Example; Inhale for 5 seconds, hold for 20 seconds and exhale for 10. Do this 3 or 4 times 3 times a day and in a week you will notice a big difference!

Please read my story: http://www.nomorepanic.co.uk/showthread.php?t=46525

kittykat
29-03-09, 13:58
Hi there and :welcome: to the site, lots of good advice and support here, the chatroom is also very good , take care xx

Patty
29-03-09, 15:21
Hi Eddie, :)

:welcome: to NMP. It's great that you've joined. There is so much information & help here.

Best wishes :)

Aljamo78
29-03-09, 15:29
I know its clichede but breathing slowly in and out of a paper bag works for me, try not to take deep, sharp intakes of breath...

You are going to be fine... try to occupy your mind with something that you enjoy or find relaxing...