PDA

View Full Version : Anxious/Panicky when exercising

transport
27-03-09, 21:48
Hello Ladies & gents

i have just stumbled across this forum so i decided to register and air my feelings.

When i play football i get really panicky this started when i was about 16 years old and as continued with me till now (aged 32) the bottom line is i get the chest pains and im convinced its a heart attack, or a pain in my head and i think its a tumour. this makes me feel dizzy disorientated and i just want to get away from there. I have had periods where i have gone to football and been ok but i never seem to get over these feelings so i have stopped playing altogether now as the fear factor i get is unbearable, i have been on medication since the age of around 17 i have had paroxatine, citalopram and currently on sertaline, i have been to see someone about this which made me feel postive when i was in the room and when i would leave but then the next day when i was due to play football my confidence hits rock bottom and i dont go, or if i do and i start feeling the syptoms i make up a excuse that my knee is hurting and then go home. i think convincing myself im ok is the hardest part when im playing. Its been that bad in the past if i pick a newspaper and see someone as collasped and died playing football/rugby it makes me feel like above and it just cements my thoughts that im next. I have had a ecg and it came back all clear and i was ok for a few weeks but then i started again, i was thinking what if they missed something or maybe its my head as i havent had that checked out. I really miss playing football competively and feel ill never do it again. i get times at work and other places where i feel like the above for no reason but not as bad as i do whilst exercising, i starting to put on weight now cos i havent changed my eating habits and my exercise is none. im i the only one who suffers this or am i one of the many.

Sorry its war and peace
but thanks for reading
kindest regards

xboxer1994
27-03-09, 22:25
i play football and i get the same problem.
dude dont worry your not alone.
thats the number one thing everyone needs to know and it makes it all better.
your never ever alone.

transport
28-03-09, 10:57
Thanks for replying xboxer1994,

i suppose its a bit of a relieve knowing its not only me, if you dont mind me asking what have you done about it? any advise

regards

Sleepless999
28-03-09, 12:28
Hi Transport (Nice name?!) You are going to football EXPECTING to feel the things that you feel, and your fear is causing your symptoms - I used to be exactly the same in the gym. I would go in, and know that by the 3rd exercise, my ectopics would start - and low and behold - they always did! The symptoms are very real, but it is your anticipation and your adrenaline that make them happen - it is a vicious circle, and in the end, you become so afraid of the situation (football pitch/gym) that you avoid it altogether because you associate the location with the anxiety attack - eventually this can lead to agoraphobia. I had CBT and it really works - I also set small goals for myself, like going to the gym and doing just 2 exercises, and then 3 and gradually built back up to the full set. You have to have an "opt out" clause, which says that if you become uncomfotable you can stop - you are in total charge. Do you have depression or are you on SSRI's for anxiety?

xboxer1994
30-03-09, 01:17
trust me on this one it took me 2 seasons to figure out a cure.but i can promise you that it does not take that long to get stop them. like someone else said the thought of how bad you dont want to have a panic attack is what causes them. but the best way i decided (im just warning you it might take one panic attack to work but still). just tell yourself your having a panic attack and that it will be ok. tell yourself that it has happened before and you have lived through it. and if your like me then your panic attacks get worse and some how they always happen when something good happens.(which i dont understand at all). but just enjoy the moment and my best suggestion is to talk to someone. none one my friends know i have panic disorder but i want them to but its ok. but if your coach knows that you have panic attacks then just tell him you need to sit for 5-10 minutes. then the worset part of the panic attack is gone and you should be fine. i take medince for my panic attacks which helps alot but they can still happen sometimes. but having panic attacks sucks because i need to be working out for football right now but i can cause i dont wanna have a panic attack. but overall just tell yourself "im having a panic attack right now but it will be gone soon and then i will fine". the faster you are able to tell yourself the faster you can stop then. for more info on my method on regualr panic attacks please vist my website my goal is to atleast help one person.

I hope soooo much that this helps.
rember your not alone the person your lined up against might be going through the same thing.
thanks for giving me a chance to hopefully help you.

transport
31-03-09, 16:48
Hi Transport (Nice name?!) You are going to football EXPECTING to feel the things that you feel, and your fear is causing your symptoms youve hit the nail on the head with this

Do you have depression or are you on SSRI's for anxiety?
no depression ( in a funny sort of way its opposite the underlying problem is i think im going to die and dont want too. some depression makes you feel sucidal right?)

i currently take citalopram

I just want to be able to go to football and enjoy it, not 10 mins before i go start thinking oh s**t

transport
31-03-09, 16:51
trust me on this one it took me 2 seasons to figure out a cure.but i can promise you that it does not take that long to get stop them. like someone else said the thought of how bad you dont want to have a panic attack is what causes them. but the best way i decided (im just warning you it might take one panic attack to work but still). just tell yourself your having a panic attack and that it will be ok. tell yourself that it has happened before and you have lived through it. and if your like me then your panic attacks get worse and some how they always happen when something good happens.(which i dont understand at all). but just enjoy the moment and my best suggestion is to talk to someone. none one my friends know i have panic disorder but i want them to but its ok. but if your coach knows that you have panic attacks then just tell him you need to sit for 5-10 minutes. then the worset part of the panic attack is gone and you should be fine. i take medince for my panic attacks which helps alot but they can still happen sometimes. but having panic attacks sucks because i need to be working out for football right now but i can cause i dont wanna have a panic attack. but overall just tell yourself "im having a panic attack right now but it will be gone soon and then i will fine". the faster you are able to tell yourself the faster you can stop then. for more info on my method on regualr panic attacks please vist my website my goal is to atleast help one person.

I hope soooo much that this helps.
rember your not alone the person your lined up against might be going through the same thing.
thanks for giving me a chance to hopefully help you.

thanks for replying, ill give that a go, first thing is too pluck up the courage to go then ill work on that, but its hard to switch offf from it.... but ill give it my best shot

thanks again

xboxer1994
31-03-09, 21:50
ya i know it can be hard
just rember its all in your head what you think is what will happen. tell yourself that and you will be fine.

Your welcome i love to help

Sleepless999
31-03-09, 22:30
Hi again Transport - I only asked about depression because I wondered if you take Citalopram for anxiety or depression - I don't think you're depressed because you are motivated and ultimately, you are thinking the worst (as I was) - that these attacks may kill you, and that isn't what you want! It's difficult to get yourself gently back into football because you have to commit to a game and it would be difficult to "opt out" half way through! I think you should go to a gym and get on the treadmill, nothing heavy, just do some power walking initially, safe in the knowledge that you can please yourself and can stop whenever you want - nobody would even notice. This would mean that you are under no pressure whatsoever, and I'm pretty sure that you would feel able to carry on, simply because you don't have to! Build up to a slow jog and then go further - hopefully this will prepare you for football again - just take it slowly! I hope this helps - my psychologist said I have to give myself choices and it was good advice! Take care !:)

transport
03-04-09, 09:10
Thanks guys

I will keep you posted on my events

thanks again

transport
24-04-13, 22:55
Well as you can see its been a long time since I was last on this forum but I'm going through the same events again any thing that will raise my heart rate is a no no. Since last time on here I have had times where I have thought right this as got to stop and I have gone and played football not feeling 100% but still went. I started fell walking and everything seemed fine. But last year after the incident where a footballer nearly died on the pitch I have done no exercise what so ever. I'm still on sertraline but haven't been to see my doctor since originally posting on here just keep getting repeat prescriptions. I'm coming up 37 and need to get back out there.

Meltdown
27-04-13, 13:25
I used to go running, but the last time I went (2 or 3 years ago), I had a bout of bad ectopics half way round that set off a full panic attack. I was about 3/4 mile from home, and felt very helpless and trapped. I had to walk home at a smail's pace. I haven't been since!

Now I am trying cycling. I have the extra fear that I have become more unfit since giving up the running! I still have the same problems, but am currently just riding 1/2 mile down the road and coming back again. I hopr to work it up to a couple of miles, then slowly get back into running again!

I also don't like the light headed feel you get after excercise! I used to like that sensation, but now it just reminds me of the feeling you get during panic!