PDA

View Full Version : Was this a panic attack?

mothermac
28-03-09, 04:40
Hi guys,just wanting some advice ona few things.
I suffer from anxiety a lot and yesterday whilst at work I had a funny spell which I think was a panic attack. I work in Tesco and I was on the till serving somebody when I just started to feel my heart speed up,I tried to ignore it and carry on with the transaction but this made it worse and the heart rate increased I started to feel shaky and jittery and I just felt ill,I practically threw the guys change at him and just bolted off the shop floor,my colleague took me upstairs into the staff room and give me a glass of water and a paper bag to blow into,the bag didn't really work but I felt my heart slowing down a little so this eased my symptoms,my legs felt like jelly and my hands were shaking really badly,after about 15 minutes I felt back to normal like nothing had happened it was really wierd.I put it down to eating a lot of sugar about 10 minutes before as I had a break and ate a sandwch and a gooey cake in the space of 20 minutes,could this have been why? I have had racing heart syndrome before especially in the middle of the night but never at work,I am due at the hospital next week to have a 24 hr monitor fitted to check out my heart as I also have high bp this may put my mind at rest.I just don't know if it was a panic attack or not,and Iam frightened I get another,they will think I am mad.

angel 2
28-03-09, 07:11
sounds like a panic attack to me. Classic get up and run syndrome. I find I'm having to make excuses why I've bolted like 'I thought there was a wasp or spider' or similar. If you say it's nothing people look at you 'gone out' all they see is this mad woman running from pillar to post. I'm used to it now and I think that helps knowing what they are. They don't come quite as often then! Good luck

Gryphoenix
09-04-09, 22:59
I had the exact same thing! Not at the store though, it was just after dinner and I had eaten a bit of chocolate, a very sweet thing, and it just hit me. Racing heart for no reason. I just felt so panicky. After trying like mad to calm myself down, I felt better after about 15 min though I had such bad shakes. I can't stand this feeling! I know what it is and I can usually stave off panics but this hit out of nowhere! I blame it on the sugar and feeling anxious all day.

Is this all in my head or from my body? I can't tell!

eurotrashcub
09-04-09, 23:03
what you describe is a panic attack, obviously having your heart checked if it is the first time it has happened to make sure it is all good is not a bad idea... but i bet it will come back fine and you will be told by your GPO that it was a panic attack

welcome to the club!

Nicola_lou
09-04-09, 23:29
does sound like one, when i first had one it lasted an hour i was anxious all day had a really bad hangover. but i just thought s**t i forgotton how to breath like i was holding my breath so an ambulance come my heart rate was 150bpm thats all i remember i had that monitor on me all night ,checking me every 15 i had no sleep, but my hr as been 120 or around thet since.

This post has been automatically edited by the NMP post filter

homebythefence
11-04-09, 09:50
Yeah, definetly a panic attack. Well done to your colleuges for getting you a paper bag and well done to you for surviving it :)

nikita
11-04-09, 09:53
Definitely a panic attack. i get like that a lot and each time it scares the life out of me. You dealt with it well. I'd say the sugar hit triggered it. happens to me too.