PDA

View Full Version : Need advice on what meds help with anxiety

KellyT
28-03-09, 11:35
Hi, i am new to this and have been suffering with anxiety for the past 4 years, it is getting worse, it is making me become where i can not go out of my house, is there any medication that can help with this, i have got diazapan for when it is really bad. I just want my life back, this is taking over everything, it all started 4 years ago when i had a panic attack for no reason. Ever since i am scared of so many situations incase i have another one. When i try to explain this to my doctor i think he thinks i am an attention seeker, he is a herbal doctor and only gives real medication in exteme situations and i guess he does not think i am one of those, would really love to hear from anyone in a similar situation or anyone who has come out of the other side.

finny12000
28-03-09, 12:21
Hi kelly
im no expert but 4 years with anxiety and only diazepan is not on.
I Suffered like you quite badly and if you look back on my first posts here you will see what i mean.
I ended up on trazadone after many ssri,s and it taken at night helped me sleep and stopped the worse of any anxiety during day along with anxiety
classes which i harp on about all the time but they were invaluable.

They helped me understand my thought cycle so i could nip the anxiety thoughts immediately before they were full blown ,i was taught distraction techniques ,relaxation and its worth saying to doctor that you want then.

Our illnesses make us think were alone,we live in a anxiety bubble it will never get better but it does kelly and im living proof.

You get back to this herbal guy and tell him what u want and require of him
its his duty to help you and meanwhile theres loads of self help and tips on here and plenty ppl to chat to
Your not alone x

Southern_Belle
28-03-09, 16:51
Hi Kelly,

I will first state I do not know your healthcare system. I also do not know if you can change doctors. If you can, I would change in a heartbeat. If I had a doctor that I felt did not believe me and felt I was just seeking attention I would be out of there. You have to be your own health advocate these days and getting the right doctor is the first step. As for medication everyone reacts to each one differently. What works for one will not work for another. If you go to a regular GP I feel like he/she will be able to suggest an SSRI aka anti-depressant for anxiety that will help you if that is the road you wish to take at this time. Remember, you don't have to stay on them forever. I also found for me that counseling helped too. I will also state that warm baths with lavender and soft music help me relax. Try and do things you enjoy and pamper yourself until you are able to get in to see someone who will take you seriously. I do hope you feel better soon because I have been where you are now.

Best wishes,

Laura

butchville
30-03-09, 08:12
diazapam has really helped me but only take it when you need to as your body can be come amune to this drug therefore you need more of it to work also try to distract your mind ,,,eg watch a film or something,,,also avoid stressfull situations ,,but most of all we bring panic on ourselves so its our thoughts we have to change ,,but dont worry they will not halm you in any way ,,but they are scarey and can relate where you are coming from ,,if you want more help please email me ,,,www.stuart.curtis1975@sky.com (http://www.stuart.curtis1975@sky.com)