PDA

View Full Version : Colonopsy..help..

Alexy
29-03-09, 00:14
Im so so scared about all of my weird anal/rectal pains, random constipation and cocksics pains..and i really don't know if i should go and have one done..im 17 and its so horrible having to think about this when all of my friends just seem to lead normal lives:(

Will it hurt? and is it possible for it to go wrong?:S

Ddcoo
29-03-09, 11:01
Hi Alexy, so sorry you are worried about your bowel, but may I suggest that if you are really worried about it that you go to your doctor and ask him if he can arrange for a Sygmoidoscopy, that only entails a camera being inserted into the first 18" of the bowel and does not involve the discomfort of a colonoscopy. I have had both done on a couple of occasions and the sygmoid was done at the doctors surgery with only a little discomfort when they blow air into the bowel so that it can be inflated and they can see around it better. Hope this helps.

nomorepanic
29-03-09, 13:13
Hi Alex

We have two sub-forums dedicated to these two procedures so have a read of the posts in there as well.

I have had both a colonoscopy and a sigmoidoscopy and would rather the sigmoid every time!

Trixie
29-03-09, 13:20
I had a colonoscopy the other year I suffer from diverticular disease (a family trait). I didn't have sedation or pain killers so I was able to watch the whole thing on the monitor ( being a nurse I was interested ) it took about 20 minutes to go from anus to appendix.

I did have IV Buscapan to try and stop the bowel spasms. If you have sedation you would be fine. Apparently sedation is the norm for this procedure according to the staff on the ward so it may well be the same where you live.

Good luck and do not worry.