PDA

View Full Version : Depression again

zena
05-08-05, 23:33
I have been kidding myself for the last 4 or 5 months thinking I was ok, but, really did need to go the doctors to get myself sorted out.

I thought I have been doing really well by over coming some things but have been putting on a mask.

Having sleepless nights where I have been waking up at 3.00am and not getting back to sleep 4.30am...not knowing why I was awake. Was and still am very tired when I get up...not looking after house very well and crying at the drop of a hat. (when I was on my own first thing in the morning when no one else is around)

Looking at stuff and writing lists of things to do and only doing 2 or 3 things on them.

Well hubby had a fit over the weekend...1st one in 10 months...only to find out that he is worried about me hence the trip to the doctors.

He hasn't known me so long but has got me down to a tee...so I quite like him as he actually listened. He told me that I have probably been depressed for 6 months or so.....have got tablets to take, not to keen but I think I need the help to get over this little blip that I have found myself in.

On a more positive note though...going to the doctors and him confirming that I already knew has made me feel better!!
Strange really...This is my 2nd major bout of depression in 6 years so in that why I have done well.

He reckons I will be on them for 6 months....if they make me feel better then thats the way to go.

Apart from that everything is fine. I just had to share. Hope you don't mind.

with good wishes

Zena

Karen
06-08-05, 00:28
Hi Zena

Sorry that things have been bad for you again, but it is good that you have recognised that the depression has returned and you've taken action by seeing your doctor.

The early waking is one of the most common aspects of depression and is one of the ways the body tries to protect itself from exhaustion. When depressed you have longer periods of REM sleep and dreaming than at other times, which means the body doesn't have enough of the restful and replenishing slow wave sleep it needs in between periods of REMing. This is one of the reasons why early waking is so common and also why you can wake up feeling exhausted even if you feel you have slept for hours.

Doing two or three things from a list is good when you are feeling low, as it is difficult to motivate yourself to do things.

Are you receiving any counselling in addition to the medication?

Karen

It is not easy to find happiness in ourselves, and it is not possible to find it elsewhere.

seh1980
06-08-05, 10:43
Well done for recognising the problem and going to the doctor Zena!! That can often be the hardest bit. Hopefully you will start to feel the benefits of the meds soon..:D

"Life is too important to take seriously" Corky Siegal

Piglet
06-08-05, 11:24
Hi Zena

It can be a relief in itself just to acknowledge how you feel and get some help.

Alot of us bottle stuff up and only deal with it eventually when we have no choice.

I find when I admit to a few close people that I'm feeling pants it takes away at least a little of the pressure!

Chat soon

Love Piglet

zena
06-08-05, 12:35
Hi Karen,

No i'm not on councelling at the moment. I don't know if it will help. I have just got alot of things that have built up and not dealt with them entirely yet, hence the list.

with good wishes

Zena