PDA

View Full Version : Newby - petrified of flying!

mellow
29-03-09, 21:28
Hi y'all
Im a newby to all this and so glad I have found a site and people feeling the same, nice to know im not going mad!
Never suffered from panic attacks until i was pregnant with my second child, and thought it would stop when she was born, but the seed was sown. So for the past 18 months it has been really freaky.
Went to see gp and was subcribed Citalopram but it made it ten times worse, so I came off that and now I am not taking anything. Seem to be handling it quite well but I do have my moments, even on the school run for god sake which sooo daft.
Anyway going on hol in July and convinced Im gonna .
die on the plane, keep trying to focus lying on a beach but it only lasts for about 5 mins. I seem to do ok then I really picture myself sitting in the seat in the plane and then utter panic sets in, taking too kids and really dont wont to freak out.
Any ideas would be gratefully recieved.
Mellow xx:yesyes:

diane07
29-03-09, 21:40
Hi and a huge warm welcome to nmp

you'll get loads of help and support here and make some lovely friends along the way.

Is anyone else going with you besides you and kiddies?

di xx

mellow
29-03-09, 21:48
Hi Di
Yeah my chap is with me, but he thinks this business is all in the mind (which it is) and im just having another dicky fit. He is very chilled and nothing ever phases him, he tries his best but telling me to pull myself together doesnt really have any impact. Thought about a one off vallium but not so sure.
What do you think?

sunshine-lady
29-03-09, 21:57
Hi and welcome to NMP

A one off dose of valium to help you fly will not hurt you at all and will make the flight a lot easier.

So pleased that you have found us. I am sure you will like it here as there is so much help, information and support. There is a chat room which is a great place to make new friends

Take care xxx

kittykat
30-03-09, 10:22
Hi there and :welcome: to the site, lots of good advice and support here, the chatroom is also very good, take care xx

Southern_Belle
30-03-09, 15:27
Hi Mellow,

Welcome to NMP. I also hate to fly but still do it. First of all I come prepared with magazines to read (books are too long, I need short articles), mints, ear plugs to drown out the engine sounds, earphones & my favorite music to calm me and I have a little Angel Stone that I take everywhere I go that I hold. I know you can't get an Angel Stone probably but I'm sure you can find something to hold that is small and when you are scared just rub it and it gives your hand something to do and as I am doing that I think of a lavender field or somewhere wonderful. Sounds silly I know but it helps me. You will probably be distracted by your children so that will also help. You can do this and I hope you have a wonderful holiday and can't wait to read your success story when you return!

Take care,

Laura