PDA

View Full Version : Hard to take deep breath in

sammyj
30-03-09, 11:21
helloI am a bit concerned and I dont know if it because of health anxiety I feel like my breathing is being effected.Its not that I am necessarily finding it hard to breath but I feel the need to constantly take a deep breath in. So deep in fact that its feels its not possible to take any deeper a breath! It scares me because sometimes I feel I cannot take a deep breath and when I relax i then manage to take this huge deep breath. Could I be doing damage to my chest muscles as they just feel weird.The doctor has listend to my lungs and heart and said both are fine. I also had blood tests done in January which were fine. But I dont know why I feel the need to have to take a deep breath all the time and let out a huge sigh. Am I short of breath? is this what being short of breath is? it also feels like a huge not in my chest and I keep thinking the worst, like a huge tumor or something.I am so scared and dont know if I should go back to the doctor, but i dont know what to say as I already went for this. I dont have trouble with physical things so am not getting puffed out i feel that if I breath any deeper in I am going to suck my chest wall into my back!

NoPoet
30-03-09, 11:53
Hi Sammyj, it sounds like you're suffering from hyperventilation or just plain anxiety, both of which make it feel like you can't take enough air in. Try to take slow, deep breaths to calm yourself down or breathe into a paper bag or your cupped hands.

You won't damage your chest muscles and you haven't got anything to worry about, hyperventilation is normal and harmless and practically everyone here suffers from it. Stay calm and take steady breaths. :)

sammyj
30-03-09, 12:01
thanks psycho poet, i am relatively new to all this HA and its awful. I just worry cause I feel that when I can take a deep breath, i do it so hard I feel like I am going to crack my chest. Its right in the centre and I feel like I am over doing.

**twinkle**
30-03-09, 13:18
i have this too when im getting anxious. you feel like no matter how hard you breathe in, your not getting enough air. When in fact you probably have too much air, due to you changing your breathing patterns.
And as for the chest pains, its classic anxiety as you start to worry, your chest muscles tighten.

Hope this helps.
Twinkle