PDA

View Full Version : ectopic heart beats

lin
06-08-05, 17:57
I really thought i had got rid of these but the ectopic heart beats have come not as bad as before but they are annoying me when they are there. I may not have one for hours them all of a sudden one comes it does still frighten me, i know i have asked this before but tell me they are not harmful. Also when i was cleaning my kitchen floor i had wot felt like palpitations don't know why it happened i had to stop and take a deep breathe (they are not harmful are they) i'm not stressed so why have they come back. It makes me feel :( to think i feel ok.

PLEASE HELP!!!!!!!

linda xx:(:(

Meg
06-08-05, 19:41
Hi Linda,

You've been doing so well with these.

I'm glad you say they're now annoying as opposed to terrifying which they used to be.

None of them are harmful so do take your deep breath and go about your day.

Palpitations (http://www.nomorepanic.co.uk/NMPcms.php?nmppage=palpitations)

Meg
www.anxietymanagementltd.com

Your anxiety is the human representation of the pictures that you paint using your many vivid colours of revolving and reoccurring thoughts.
How big is your gallery ?

seh1980
06-08-05, 20:05
hi Linda,

No, of course they won't hurt you. Try your best to ignore them!!

Sarah :D

"Life is too important to take seriously" Corky Siegal

Piglet
06-08-05, 21:42
Lin

You and I have both been here before haven't we.

Its this very symptom which brought me to the site in the first place - mine have calmed right down but still get the odd one and I still get scared.

Now I have the site though so my reassurance is on tap!!!!

Be reassured!!!!!!!!

Love Piglet:D

anniethepooh
07-08-05, 16:14
Hi when I first got panic attacks 13 years ago ,I too had eptopic heart beats diagnosed.For a whole year I lived in terror of having a heart attack,the doctors where so kind at the surgery and I had 3 ecg's in the end.Anyway the thing that I did that worked for me was to completly cut out all caffeine.I bought Redbush tea bags,from the health food shop,although some Tescos and Sainsburys stock it now ,after a few cups when you get used to the slightly different taste, they taste just like a normal cuppa,some of the herbal t bags arn't quite the same as a nice cuppa in the morning.I also got barley cup from the health food shop in place of coffee.Both of these are 100% caffeine free.From what I understand,some of the so called caffeine free ones still have lots of caffeine in?But Redbush is naturally caffeine free.
Anyway (burble burble!!)the point I am getting to, is that I now am 99% eptopic heartbeat free!! which is amazing and incredible.Not only that, I developed a kind of excema anxiety thing in my ears and other places that made me itch like crazy, that has cleared as well,so I wonder if Redbush has helped that too.I would urge anyone to give it a try.
I am suffering at the moment but it's another thing now.So I'm trying to find a cure for that too!
I hope this may help you,
Annie
x

a cheetham

pinkscrumpy
07-08-05, 19:36
Hi Lin

I'm with Piglet. I too came to the site because of them. They are awful and yes very scary.

Hope you are feeling a little more relaxed.

love

MANDIE XX

sadie
09-08-05, 19:04
I suffer etopic beats too and I believe it is when my breathing is all too pot, especially when I am breathing shallow.... they always pass.

Try and not worry.

sadie

lin
12-08-05, 12:24
hi Guys

Thanks for all your replys they were helpful, since sending my post i haven't had many i do think they will come and go. I'm so glad i'm on the site without the help i think i would go crazy.

Anyway thanks alot :D:D

linda xx

Meg
12-08-05, 15:31
You keep doing what you're doing - its going well !

Meg
www.anxietymanagementltd.com

Your anxiety is the human representation of the pictures that you paint using your many vivid colours of revolving and reoccurring thoughts.
How big is your gallery ?

zig
14-08-05, 16:12
I have these ectopics also. Sometimes I dont get them for weeks and sometimes I get them every few minutes. I complained about them to my GP and he didnt even bother to examine me. I totally freaked out :). After every word I said he kept repeating the same word anxiety- but but ... i said - 'anxiety' - but doc my heart is pounding and it scares me - 'anxiety' - but ... 'anxiety' - don't i need some additional tests? - 'anxiety'. I dont now how he can be so sure. I hope he is right or else I am going to die healthy :).

Regards

19jim71
14-07-06, 05:07
Hello,

I am newer to the board. I was glad to see that I was not the only one suffering with "Extra heart beats" I was recently diagnosed with eptopic beats. This experiance scared me to no end. As like others I read I to rushed to the hospital thinking that I was going to have a heart attack. After a ekg, chest xray, & blood work, I was sent home to follow up with my Dr. He then followed up with a second ekg, more bloodwork, echocardiagram, and a holtor monitor. I just recieved my results today. All came back normal. The monitor showed this irregularity but he said this is no cause for concern. Thats easy for him to say. I am going to take an exercise stress test to follow up. This scares me also. I have no heart problems in my family and all my cholestoral came back normal. Is there anything out there to make this go away?? I usally get this when I am at rest and not active. I think I am driving my poor wife crazy with this. I just wanted to share my experiance, it does seem to help when others are coping with this.

fletch
15-07-06, 04:59
What a great site! I'm a 40 year old male who just recently started having Ectopic beats, out of nowwhere, and they scared the heck out me. I actually went to the emergency room a couple of weeks ago after having one very large beat that felt like a hose was placed in my chest, a huge beat, and blood pushing into my neck. My heart actually fluttered for a couple of seconds and then reset itself. It really scared me. The hospital ran all the blood test, ex rays, etc. and the doctor stated that I was fine and that these are very common. I've visited my personal doctor and he ran additional blood test, including Cholesterol, and everything was good. I am going in for a Holter Belt, Treadmill, etc next week. My doctor stated that Stress, Caffeine, and Adrenaline can cause these and that upwards of 80% of people have at least one of these extra beats a day and just don't feel them. I haven't drank a cup of coffee in close to 2 weeks and it's definitely helped. Good luck to all.

19jim71
17-07-06, 04:29
Hello,

Fletch Hang in there, I hope all your tests come back good. I to thought that caffiene was the culprit but I have been off of this for approx. three weeks and still having some episodes. I have an excercise stress test scheduled to rule out anything underlying. This is very scary at 35....One thing that I didn't think was related but seems to be is acid reflux. I used to get terrible heart burn and burning under the ribcage and to the left. This seems to be calmer since the removal of caffeine but still lets me know it is there. I did have one episode very bad of pvcs the other day and I couldn't seem to make it stop. I stopped by the pharmacy and bought some pepto bismal and chugged down half the bottle. I couldn't belive this but they slowly went away. I bought another bottle and take some when I feel that burning. Knock on wood I haven't felt any for two days so far. My Dr. scheduled an endoscopy for this later this week. Good to talk with someone on this. Sometimes you think your going nuts.

Lonely Lu
17-07-06, 16:05
Hi Linda,

I'm new here, but can totally sympathise with you and all the other posters on this topic. I started getting these scary ectopic beats a few years back, and they scared me witless. I went to a & e straight away, convinced I was about to have a fatal heart attack, not helped by the fact that I was getting breathless at the same time! They ran all the tests and said I was fine, it wasn't an unusual occurrance etc, and the breathlessness could have been me panicking too much. I used to experience palpitations very very regularyly, but never really got used to them - they always scared me, no matter how much my doc assured me I was perfectly fine. I actually felt like screaming at him sometimes, that it was all very well for him to try to reassure me, but he wasn't the one who'd have to have a heart attack if he was wrong!

Then I cut back my caffeine intake drastically (thought of doing the same with nicotine, but decided enough is enough for one day!) - I switched overnight to decaff coffee and tea and put a stop to all coke type drinks; I was amazed at the difference it made. I rarely get palpitations any more - although I must admit that when I do, I DO still panic, but am able to calm down by thinking back over what I've eaten or drunk, and nine times out of ten I'll remember I ate a chocolate bar a little while before, or had a normal coffee at work as there was no decaff. I have cut right back on chocolate, but refuse to give it up entirely![:P]

Hope some of this has helped.

LL x

manyana
19-07-06, 10:19
hi everyone
i have had ectopic beats since nov 2005 - mine are what they call premature atrial contractions - everyone said the same thing - benign - wont hurt you - get used to them - they may go away - they may not
i had all the tests and saw a cardiologist - everything fine with my heart
then i had to go into hospital as i had a bout of atrial flutter - which is not benign - hosp found i was having too much thyroxine (thyroid med) - normal range is 0.3 to 5.0 and i was showing at 0.9 - which is right at the high end - altho in the normal range - obviously not normal for my body
they reduced my dose and guess what - havent had a single pac in 9 days - i was getting 10 to 70ish a day - it took 6 weeks for the lower dose to take effect mind you!!
so if you havent - get your thyroid levels checked - it could be the same problem for you
ps the atrial flutter only happened because of the thyroid med being too high - not because of pacs - dont want to scare anyone
luv lynne
x

joolee
07-08-06, 16:31
:D hi i am new to this site i am sooooooo happy that i can talk to people who experience ectopics the same as me i have had them for a good few years now i thought i was going mad my poor family has put up with so much of me going on and on about them YES they are really scary i sometimes cant concentrate when i have them i used to take panic attacks but i have got over this now as i went to cbt it was so helpful but when i concurd the panic attacks i started to get ectopic beats i have ecgs done and they have all came back as ectopic i have also had a heart scan which came back fine they used to stop me from going and doing the things i loved but i have just about over come this i have also been told over and over again that it is not life threatning but when you experience one your mind still gets that fright and you always think the worst but i have also noticed that if you think about them it can make one come on so i try to ignor it it is hard but it does help

lisamarie36
11-08-06, 19:21
Hi, I am so glad to have found this site. I have suffered with panic attacks, health anxiety and general anxiety for many years now and the many physical symptoms that come with that. My most frightening symptom, are these eptopic beats that I have been reading so much about on this page. Like many of you, I can get them at any time of day or night, lying in bed, watching T.V., anywhere, anytime. They can appear totally out of the blue for no reason, even when I was on holiday and totally stress free! I am constantly checking my pulse, and if I notice my heart is beating faster than usual, I panic and that then leads to the irregular beats. I know that its the anxiety that is playing havoc with the natural rthythm of the heart, but it is still really frightening. Reasurrance and reading other peoples experiences on this site really has helped me though.

Lisa x

lin
13-08-06, 19:11
Hi All

When i first posted this post i had been getting loads of ectopics, but now they have calmed down so much.

I get them bad when i get angry mainly when the kids play up but other than that i may get the odd one or two a day now.

They don't seem to bother me so much now, so everyone that has them try not to worry to much as it will get better.

linda xx

Julian
12-12-06, 17:36
This website is brilliant, I have been suffering ectopics for 2 yrs, sometimes fine for a few days, sometimes every day sometimes singles, sometimes going on for hours.
Cant believe there are so many sufferers. I had a holter test and bloods and all was fine.

People dont realise how scary these are, and that they can happen at any time and make you feel like your going to die.

I have cut out caffeine and alcohol for the last 6 weeks and things are so much better,
makes me scared to have anything with caffeine or anything alcoholic.

rmlamatt
12-12-06, 21:47
(People dont realise how scary these are, and that they can happen at any time and make you feel like your going to die.)

Boy, if that isn't a true statement. I'm sixty-four and started having skipped beats when I was sixteen years old. Thinking I was dying or about to die. Told no one about them which caused me to have all kinds of phobia's, including agoraphobia. Stayed in the house for five years, fear of driving, fear of fear itself. Then in my forties I had an IVP study done and it proved that I had PVC's, Ventricle Tackycardia. They put me on a pill and I've been on it since. The problem now is, how do you pay for pills over a hundred dollars a month when you can not take a generic? Don't know about UK but the US needs help in the health care industry. Sure wish we would go to universal medicine.
I have to share this story a doctor told me, "because you have skipped beats your will live longer, because the heart doesn't beat as often."
PVC's held first place in my life for many years, and in the long run I wrote a memoir on how they played a part in my lfie. So I guess you could say something good came out of something that terrified me for almost a lifetime. Here's to skipped beats. Rose[^]
www.rmlamatt.com

Don't walk in front of me I may not follow.
Don't walk behind me I may not lead.
Just walk beside me and be my friend

looking4answers
13-12-06, 02:25
<b id="quote">quote:</b id="quote"><table border="0" id="quote"><tr id="quote"><td class="quote" id="quote">I have these ectopics also. Sometimes I dont get them for weeks and sometimes I get them every few minutes. I complained about them to my GP and he didnt even bother to examine me. I totally freaked out :). After every word I said he kept repeating the same word anxiety- but but ... i said - 'anxiety' - but doc my heart is pounding and it scares me - 'anxiety' - but ... 'anxiety' - don't i need some additional tests? - 'anxiety'. I dont now how he can be so sure. I hope he is right or else I am going to die healthy :).

Regards

I wanted to tell you I know exactly how you feel with the doctor saying anxiety everytime you try to say something.I have been checked out by two doctors both say they can find nothing wrong other than stress.The other night we had some friends over and one was a 30 year veteran head nurse at a hospital.I ask her about hearing my pulse and she said oh well..and then she said there is nothing wrong with you .I know and would be willing to bet anything there is totally nothing wrong with you.Ok..Im sitting there and have been battling a sinus infection for about two or three weeks..My pulse was all over the place .I told her that I think my heart is skipping at least 30 beats every minute..she looked at me like I was crazy and said everybodies heart skips they just dont notice it.I was freaking out and never had that many skipped beats in my life..I went to the bathroom and think that i actually felt my heart stop..and then five weird beats and then back in sync but fast..Continued missing beats alot until they left and then only one or so every minute the rest of the night..Totally weirded me out..So im like you .This woman would not let sit there experiencing what I thought was heart failure and not do anything but get this.. she did say well if your heart stops then I just start it back.Can you imagaine how freaked out that was to me..But I made it and since have experienced a few here and there mostly after eating but that night scared me and I felt like you did...hoping they are all right or I will die healthy.. Just thought I would mention exactly how you felt I know first hand..They just say ahhh its anxiety.. nothing to be concerned about.. well guess time will tell
<div align="right">Originally posted by zig - 14 August 2005 : 16:12:08</div id="right">
</td id="quote"></tr id="quote"></table id="quote">

angiebaby
13-12-06, 22:11
HI, mine started 11 years ago after a great shock, and have had them on and off since then, but when my anxiety and depression and panic kicked in two years ago these little blighters started with a vengeance. I have loads in a day and just get the odd day without any at all although this is not very often unfortunatly. Have seen GP loads and have seen a cardiologist who said i was fine, but i was not happy as he didn't seem bothered at all and wouldn't give me a 24 hour tape which is what i wanted for comfort really. So i've been re referred and am now waiting for a 48 hour tape. They are sure that i am ok, but this is more for proof and reassurance. Will probably have to wait ages though for another appointment now. Just hope to get it done as soon as possible and put my tired brain at rest on the subject. lol. Angie. x

It takes a minute to get anxiety, but a lifetime to get rid of it!!!

Stu M
14-12-06, 09:58
Hi,

Dont these little blighters really hack you off, I know in my rational mind that these things are harmless, I get told often enough, but when one of them hits me thats it all rational thought slips away and I think im about to die :(

Its nice in a selfish way to hear other people have this too, and Im trying to think positive and banish these negative thoughts, I really think thats the key!!! This is what I keep telling myself....

I have had these things EVERY day over a number of years so if they were dangerous I would be dead by now, right?!?!

Ive had 3 ECG baseline tests over the last 2 years and they were fine!!

My doctor has no worries about my heart, surely after seeing me sooo many times, if there was the slightest hint of cardiac problems I would be off in an ambulance.

My mum gets these and shes still alive!!!

So many people all over the world get these symptoms, and there is not some mass epademic of Ectopic Heartbeat deaths, so why am I worrying.

Its anxiety!!!

All these things make so much sense I believe them, and if they are true for me, then they should be true for you too, as I suffer the same problem.

I suffer from Health anxiety so its difficult to put these thoughts into practice when Im panicking, but when I can it helps and I truly believe that one day I can re-train my subconscious to understand this as my conscious mind does and I can at least live with these VERY scary symptoms.

I hope that helps a bit.

Stu

Dragonlady
18-01-07, 15:25
Hello I am new to your site and experience ectopic beats too. I had heart surgery in August last, having a replacement mitral valve. I am in sinus but still suffer ectopic episodes occasionally. My surgeon said it is okay and nothing to worry about so I am not worrying (much) but it is annoying so I sympathise with all you who get them too.

Dragonlady

angiebaby
18-01-07, 17:30
I have had ectopics for 11 years now and all my ECG's, believe me i have had hundreds, have come back normal. I am going to have a 48 hour tape, holter monitor, fitted tomorrow and even though i have nursed this sort of thing for a long long time i am still terrified of going. I know what they will do and i know it is nothing to worry about but i think the fear is of them actually finding something wrong in the results. If i'm a wreck about it now , what am i going to be like when i travel to crewe tomorrow morning to get this done? I think i will be in tears before i even get there! I feel such a wimp but this is now how i am feeling, can't help it, i was never like this before, i feel so silly.

Angiebaby.x
It takes a minute to get anxiety, but a lifetime to get rid of it!!!

patch
26-01-07, 20:47
<b id="quote">quote:</b id="quote"><table border="0" id="quote"><tr id="quote"><td class="quote" id="quote">Hi when I first got panic attacks 13 years ago ,I too had eptopic heart beats diagnosed.For a whole year I lived in terror of having a heart attack,the doctors where so kind at the surgery and I had 3 ecg's in the end.Anyway the thing that I did that worked for me was to completly cut out all caffeine.I bought Redbush tea bags,from the health food shop,although some Tescos and Sainsburys stock it now ,after a few cups when you get used to the slightly different taste, they taste just like a normal cuppa,some of the herbal t bags arn't quite the same as a nice cuppa in the morning.I also got barley cup from the health food shop in place of coffee.Both of these are 100% caffeine free.From what I understand,some of the so called caffeine free ones still have lots of caffeine in?But Redbush is naturally caffeine free.
Anyway (burble burble!!)the point I am getting to, is that I now am 99% eptopic heartbeat free!! which is amazing and incredible.Not only that, I developed a kind of excema anxiety thing in my ears and other places that made me itch like crazy, that has cleared as well,so I wonder if Redbush has helped that too.I would urge anyone to give it a try.
I am suffering at the moment but it's another thing now.So I'm trying to find a cure for that too!
I hope this may help you,
Annie
x

a cheetham

<div align="right">Originally posted by anniethepooh - 07 August 2005 : 16:14:07</div id="right">
</td id="quote"></tr id="quote"></table id="quote">

patch
26-01-07, 20:53
hi im new to this site .my name is alex and ive noticed that a lot of you suffer from ectopic beats . ive been getting them for about a year now and when i get one i fell dizzy also get a sore head any basicly fell crap for a few hours my doctor has put me on 10ml of bisoprolol which help sometimes .can any one tell me if they get the same pain when they get ectopic beats cheers alex[8]

dolly7
26-08-08, 08:58
sorry to hear that , doctors can be so insenstive. my doctor chuckled at my etopics.made me feel like a dummy for even coming in. told me they are not scarey and not dangerous.although i was having runs of about 20 a minute, he didnt seem to think it was anything to wink at. but he hasnt got them so he really doesnt know how he would feel if he did.i dont always get that many in a row. i actually went about 3 weeks without hardly any. then the last 5 days i have had a bunch again.most the day today i feel about 2 a minute. this has been going on for hours.I try to relax and pray and excercise more. i eat much smaller portions and that really does help. take fish oil and eat very healthy. i havent found a cure but i do find there are certain things i can do deal with them better.I hope all you on here are feeling better. if you ever want to chat email me at iamthepizzagirl@aol.com. if be happy to talk to anyone who needs someone to chat to about the etopics.i would be glad to pen pal on the computer with anyone who has these and can relate. i just think people who dont get etopics, cant get the real impact they leave on a person each day.

Mikke
26-08-08, 23:43
My doctor actually have them. He told me he experience them when there is lot to do at work, and whenever he's stressed out.
At first I was a bit relieved, as he just laughed at me and wondered why the ectopics scared me so much.
I asked "don't they scare you?"
- "Oh, no not at all, I just try to remember that if my heart really stops for longer than expected I will just cough hard, and it will start right up again".

That's when I got really scared :blush:

Roland
06-09-08, 00:07
First time here. This site is gr8. I just found it tonight and I feel better already. I started having ectopic beats or skipped beats about a year ago. However, then I would only have about 1 or 2 a month. I would notice them when I was on the computer playing pinochle (a game I love). Then in mid May 08 I started having a bunch of them about every 30 seconds and was scared 2 death. Did not know what was going on. Was referred to my heart Dr, but by the time I seen him they had just about stopped. Dr. done a complete workup and found no major problems. Now about a month ago, the ectopic beats started again, only worse, they were even skipping every other beat and it scared me again. So I called the heart Docs nurse and she put a monitor on me today. Yes, it is very scary, I am an anxiety type and fit the pattern, I quess. From everyting I read I guess I need to just turn it over the the man above, my God and just forget about it, but, you are right, it is hard. I am so thankful for this site. Roland

scouser1959
20-09-08, 22:56
[quote=lin;4674]I really thought i had got rid of these but the ectopic heart beats have come not as bad as before but they are annoying me when they are there. I may not have one for hours them all of a sudden one comes it does still frighten me, i know i have asked this before but tell me they are not harmful. Also when i was cleaning my kitchen floor i had wot felt like palpitations don't know why it happened i had to stop and take a deep breathe (they are not harmful are they) i'm not stressed so why have they come back. It makes me feel :( to think i feel ok.

PLEASE HELP!!!!!!!

linda xx:(:([/quot.] they are normal linda i know becos i have been where you are, i have had 3 egs blood tests and a heart scan all were normal,