PDA

View Full Version : new member!

yorkie lad
06-08-05, 18:20
hello all

I have been a secret reader now for a while but enough is enough I need to introduce myself! this website is fantastic and thank you to all the people who run this website and to the people who contribute to it everyday.

here it goes.....

well im 30 years old and had my 1st anxiety attack in April 2005. I was at work (service engineer) and I had some breathing problems, I thought to my self this don't feel right. I do suffer from asthma (mild) , but I knew it was not asthma. I carried on working and then it happened my breathing slowed right down and I felt like I was gasping but in fact my breathing had increased, then my heart was beating very fast but at one point it felt liked it had stopped. my arm went numb down one side, so my immediate thought was a stroke. I run for help on customer premises and asked them to call for an ambulance for me as I think "Im having a heart attack or a stroke" I was on the floor through shock and it went into full body cramping where my hands/fingers looked like crab pincer claws. ambulanced arrived in quick time and reassured me that im not having a heart attack as he was doing a ECG on me.
it was then I was diagnosed with having a anxiety attack, I was shocked, frightened and yeah I admit it I broke down crying.

why has this happened to me? what next?

as soon as I got home I made an appointment at the doctors where upon I explained all what happened. she prescribed me Diazepam to relax me. I refused to take them and explained that to her. Im the most happy go lucky person going, likes a laugh, joke and I don't suffer from stress at work (I love my job) I have no money worries, no family trouble or relationship problems. SO WHY NOW?? she could not tell me.

so in the coming weeks I had a few more, so back to the doctors again I said I need more info on this and help. she said I should try CBT (cognitive-behavioural therapy) and she referred me. as I have private medical insurance BUPA through work I though sod it I need help now.
so I saw a physiatrist and he said im not suffering from depression, stress or any major problems, He said I had GAD (general anxiety disorder and I have a fear of having another attack that's why I have been having more attacks.

my last attack was 18MAY!!! yes I now can control my attacks, don't get me wrong it's ****** hard but I can do it. the best thing for me is (I know it sounds stupid) that I have had every symptom listed on "NO MORE PANIC HOME PAGE"

1) Hyperventilation
2) dizziness
3) chest pains
4) Throat tightening (The worse one for me)
5) vision
6) Cardiovascular

having had all these it has made me recognise that im not dying and that I suffer from ANXIETY. yeah its hard but the biggest thing is EDUCATION and ACCEPTANCE once you can do that it will help, and in my case it has.

and now?

as I already stated that I have not had an attack since 18th May, im still going to my CBT, and yes I still get symptoms mainly breathing, but im getting better. its gonna take time and it is not easy because some days I do feel poor and upset but I say to myself this will not beat me.
Im very lucky that I caught this problem at an early stage. I read all these posts and I really do feel for everyone of you and me too.

please keep positive and if any of you ever need to private message me please do, and if I ever need to me Private message any of YOU GUYS on here I hope we can help each other.

hey if this sounds positive or happy it's because im having a GREAT day:D

hey if you fancy a good laugh have a look at my picture.[:I] when it gets the loaded on

kirgray
06-08-05, 18:54
hiya YL just read your post and you are soo positive its great and an inspiration to me today as was having a rather tough one today ( a hangover never helps!! LOL) :D:D

Claireabell
06-08-05, 19:20
Hi Yorkie Lad

Welcome to the site.

Claireabell

sal
06-08-05, 19:35
Great you have introduced yourself and a big welcome.

Love Sal xx

Dont mess up the best things in your life, just because at present you are unsure who you are.

"Life is a distance and to travel that distance you were given the strength and guidance to do so".

seh1980
06-08-05, 19:53
Welcome aboard!! :D

"Life is too important to take seriously" Corky Siegal

Meg
06-08-05, 20:08
Yorkie Lad,

Welcome. I'm so glad that you've been secretly reading and benefitting from the site. Thank you for telling us how it has helped you.

We know from the site stats how many people read and visit almost daily and don't register or post and thats fine but it is lovely to get feed back.

As for you, sounds like you had a good ambulance crew, a good doctor and fabulous that you could access CBT so fast. So well done on going with it.

You may never know what set you off with the first one, I guess you've looked at caffiene, sugar levels, hydration etc but the main thing is that now you have leant that our bodies can play up but that it is not always terminal despite what illnesses you may associate the feelings with ..

Many congratulations

Meg
www.anxietymanagementltd.com

Your anxiety is the human representation of the pictures that you paint using your many vivid colours of revolving and reoccurring thoughts.
How big is your gallery ?

Karen
06-08-05, 20:20
Hi Yorkie Lad

Welcome to the forum.

Karen

It is not easy to find happiness in ourselves, and it is not possible to find it elsewhere.

yorkie lad
06-08-05, 20:55
<b id="quote">quote:</b id="quote"><table border="0" id="quote"><tr id="quote"><td class="quote" id="quote">Yorkie Lad,

Welcome. I'm so glad that you've been secretly reading and benefitting from the site. Thank you for telling us how it has helped you.

We know from the site stats how many people read and visit almost daily and don't register or post and thats fine but it is lovely to get feed back.

As for you, sounds like you had a good ambulance crew, a good doctor and fabulous that you could access CBT so fast. So well done on going with it.

You may never know what set you off with the first one, I guess you've looked at caffiene, sugar levels, hydration etc but the main thing is that now you have leant that our bodies can play up but that it is not always terminal despite what illnesses you may associate the feelings with ..

Many congratulations

<div align="right">Originally posted by Meg - 06 August 2005 : 20:08:33</div id="right">
</td id="quote"></tr id="quote"></table id="quote">

thanks for the warm welcome

can i add which i did miss. i have cut out alot of caffine i do not drink in fizzy pop or tea now, which i really do miss[V] but i do now have de caff tea and by mistake i had a normal tea at home the other day and it tastes awfull. so a big thumbs up for decaffe tea.

i meant to also say that i did have several blood tests and had a heart monitor attached for 24hrs, just because i thought that there must be something wrong with me, but i was proved wrong.

another thing is that i taken gym membership up keep myself fit and to help them chemical indorfines (spelling?) flow around the brain! and i feel much fitter healthy. thanks again all

yorkie lad
06-08-05, 20:57
<b id="quote">quote:</b id="quote"><table border="0" id="quote"><tr id="quote"><td class="quote" id="quote">hiya YL just read your post and you are soo positive its great and an inspiration to me today as was having a rather tough one today ( a hangover never helps!! LOL) :D:D

<div align="right">Originally posted by kirgray - 06 August 2005 : 18:54:13</div id="right">
</td id="quote"></tr id="quote"></table id="quote">

im glad i have been of help:D

just a note on alchol, i did not drink any through out my ordeal as i though it would be bad on the old brain, but started drinking a liitle bit now. take care

Meg
06-08-05, 20:57
Hey , health promotion into the bargain . Great !!

yorkie lad
06-08-05, 20:58
thanks to all who have welcomed me

Piglet
06-08-05, 21:04
A big welcome to the site.

Love Piglet

"Supposing a tree fell down, Pooh, when we were underneath it?" said Piglet.
"Supposing it didn't," said Pooh after careful thought.

pinkscrumpy
06-08-05, 22:25
Hi Yorkie Lad

Welcome to the site

MANDIE XX

kairen
07-08-05, 15:36
Hi Yorkie lad

welcome to the site,

take care

kairen x

michelleann
07-08-05, 17:59
HI THERE YORKIE LAD:D
YOU SOUND A REALLY POSITIVE AND A FUN GUY, ITS GREAT THAT YOU CAN RECOGNISE YOUR SYMPTOMS AND CONTROL THEM, I AM TO A DEGREE BUT ITS THE HYPERVENTILATING THAT IM STRUGGELING TO CONTROL.
PS YOUR PICTURE MADE ME GIGGLE CHEERS!!!
LOVE MICHELLE XXX

nomorepanic
07-08-05, 19:05
Hi Yorkie Lad

A big warm welcome aboard the forum.

You sound very positive about things and that is great to hear!

Look forward to hearing more from you.

Nicola

"Nearly all happiness comes into our lives through doors we don't even remember leaving open"