PDA

View Full Version : Colposcopy fears

xfilme
31-03-09, 17:36
I have just received my second set of results for my smear test as the first one six months ago showed borderline changes to my cells. The letter that came through today from the second test said I should go for a colposcopy to investigate further, but it did not state the abnormalities at all like in the first letter. I called up my surgery to ask them if it was the same or worse and they told me they were not allowed to speak to me about my results as they were not qualified and I would have to speak to a doctor, but a doctor would not be able to call me until tomorrow morning. I am so scared. Im frightened it could have progressed and be real bad.... now I have to sit and wait til the morning. I dont know how to stop myself freaking out. SOmeone reassure me... Im frightened im next in line to die x

kittykat
31-03-09, 18:07
Hey hun, i'm sure you'll be fine, as you know any kind of changes to the cervix takes years in some cases to develop into anything serious. Remember these smears tell us that that cells have changed but they are not at the cancerous stage. Borderline changes and even abnormal cells do not mean cancer.The good thing with you is that they have been keeping an eye on things and you have as well , receptionist are not allowed to tell you anything as they could get it wrong and scare you even more. They prob want you to go for the coloscopy because the cells are prob still there and are still borderline so they will be deciding whether to leave them or fix them to give you peace of mind. Try not to worry too much tonite, just focus on getting the phonecall from the doc that will put your mind at rest i'm sure. Is there anything you can do to distract yourself for a while , maybe even pop into chat later on. But try to stop worrying im sure all will be fine xx

jojo2316
31-03-09, 18:37
I think the purpose of a colposcopy is to get a really good look in order to decide whether further treatment is needed or not. In that case it can't be obvious from your smear - so I'm guessing the cells are still borderline. Don't worry too much.... cervical cancer takes years and years to develop. I believe the fateful letter Jade ignored, telling her she had pre-cancerous cells, was more than 5 years before she died........
xxxx

bex1970
31-03-09, 18:40
Have PM'd you - but DO NOT PANIC. It's just your borderline changes are still there - it's good that they are following up and keeping an eye on you. Colposcopy does not mean cancer - it means a closer look - it's not cancer, just cell changes that haven't returned to normal.... and receptionists are definitely NOT allowed to tell you anything, so don't translate that as scary - I'd be more alarmed if the doctor had called you asap - the fact that one can't speak to you until tomorrow is a good thing!
You have nothing to be scared of - they are just having a look to see the cell changes - not to tell you you have cancer. Most women I know have had this at one time or another.... and I've had it three times - and I'm still here to tell the tale, very much so! They want to know what's causing the cell changes... please don't panic. Let us know what your doc says. Thinking of you, because I know how scary it is.... but you'll be fine.

RosieXXX
31-03-09, 18:57
I am sure the cells are still borderline too, and all they want to do is take a closer look. I have had several colposcopy examinations because of borderline cells, and nothing sinister was picked up. I think this is a routine procedure if the smear still isn't coming back absolutely normal, it certainly doesn't mean there is anything drastically wrong; it does take years for things to develop and I am certain nothing untoward has happened since your last smear. :hugs:

leah22
31-03-09, 19:01
Please don't panic, like i said before my friend has just had this done, she said if she had to do it again she would with out any worry she didn't and don't have cancer just abnormal cells, she was treated and she's fine :):)

ann b
31-03-09, 21:02
Hi i got my smear test results a few weeks a go showing severe changes and too had to have a colposcopy like yourself i was beside myself with worry.Ive had my colposcopy done was no way as scary as i thought it would be, at any time you can tell them to stop and explain things to you so please try not to worry too much:)

xfilme
31-03-09, 21:29
Im feeling better by the minute. Keep em coming :P xxx (Thank you all so much)

Mr.B
31-03-09, 23:30
This is a major flaw with the system. Communication is reassurance.

xfilme
01-04-09, 16:57
Ok so I spoke to my doctor and she told me that my abnormal changes have stayed the same, which is why I need to go for a colposcopy, which i find reassuring in itself. I feel pretty calm. I had imagined it was gonna go from borderline to carcinoma in situ, but thankfully that was just paranoia. I have my colposcopy booked for June. I feel pretty relieved to be honest.

fairyloveheart
01-04-09, 17:11
That's great news. They are obviously not worried as would have got you in straight away if they were. Phew! You can relax a bit now....

bex1970
01-04-09, 17:47
Thank goodness.... thought it would be ok. you must be feeling a lot better - hope your Dad was ok today?
x

xfilme
01-04-09, 18:05
yeah my dads doing pretty good. he had his clamps out today and is feeling much better... its just very tiring looking after myself as well as being everywhere he needs me as well. x

bex1970
01-04-09, 18:08
it's exhausting looking after someone else too - but the good news is, you're results are not what you thought they were.... and that's the main thing in terms of looking after yourself.... I'm really pleased for you. Maybe you'll actually get a decent nights sleep tonight.
x