PDA

View Full Version : One thought drifting into another?

obscure200
01-04-09, 10:55
Hi Everyone...

I cant seem to control them at all.

Ive tried different things that i've read on other posts..- think positively when negative thoughts arise. This works when you think negatively but im talking about thinking all the time about silly things and not being able to just relax and think one thing at a time...

I lay in bed at night with one million things coming into my head.
Everynight I pray to God before I sleep and for some reason I cant even finish my prayer before my mind drifts to another thought, and then as im thinking the other thought half way through it drifts to another.... and then i realise what im doing after about a minute and i try to control it before it starts again...

what is wrong with me? does anyone else have this problem???

jbond1978
01-04-09, 11:09
Yeah, I definitely have that problem sometimes... For me it happens when I haven't slept well (in the morning), or when I'm really pressed with a lot going on in my mind.

It's really not pleasant, and it seems incontrollable. Feels a bit like going insane or like the mind is overloaded - which it is in the cases where I get this.

My solution is a lot of rest. The mind needs to relax.

all the best, Jens

Allye
01-04-09, 11:14
Best thing is to not worry about the other thoughts just acknowledge them (without analysing them) and go back to your first thought. If you accept that other thoughts may flow through your head you are half way there.

I tend to focus on one word (mine is "Yellow") to calm the brain. If my mind drifts I simply go back to the word again.

Hope this makes some sense

Take care
Allye

obscure200
01-04-09, 11:30
Thankyou.. That does help

I'll definatly try to focus on one word, that might help..

Do u think its a lack of concentration ?

NoPoet
01-04-09, 16:41
Hi, yeah it's your attention wandering, nothing at all to worry about, it always happens when we are stressed or tired and it just shows a healthy and active imagination. The more tired or confused you feel, the worse the symptoms become. The more frustrated you feel, the harder you try to concentrate, the harder it will be to hold onto one train of thought.

I would advise you to try to get more sleep, so go to bed a little bit earlier, and relax if you find your attention wandering, it is completely harmless. Try cutting down on stimulants like caffeine and energy drinks (but don't suddenly stop caffeine altogether) and try taking a few deep, slow, calming breaths when you first lie down to help settle your mind and slow your body down.

obscure200
01-04-09, 17:29
great advice psychopoet..

God bless x

goingmadder
02-04-09, 12:15
Totally agree with Poet.

Too much caffine or other stimulants makes the anxiety that can come from negative thoughts more pronounced. Your body becomes stressed and has the moment of fight or flight hence the sudden rush of adrenaline. This happend to me yesterday infact.. too much coffee and too many hours alone with my thoughts.. not good.

But also highlight one of poets points... do not cut it out cold turkey as this could have its own negative effects on your body and mind. Just try to reduce it ...

Meditation is very good for wandering minds, it takes practice so you have to stick to it and not give up on yourself when it doesnt work the first time.

Lay down in bed and concentrate on your body... take deep breaths and be concious of the way your stomach rises and falls.. do this for a few minutes.. every time you catch your mind wandering off in though go back to your stomach rising and falling...

Start concentrating on your toes, clench them tight and then let them go .. do this slowly over a few minutes going up to your calves then your knees thights and so on all the way up your body.. pay attention to how they feel when you release them and again ANYTIME you catch your mind wandering go back to your stomach and feel it rise and fall..

Don't fight the thought.. let them in and out pay no attnetion to it dont push them or pull them just accept they are there and they will go... focus on your breathing.

Once you've manged to relax your body concentrate on your hands, whether they are on your stomach or at your sides just turn your focus to your hands, feel any senstions you may have, warmth tingling anything...

Try it... It really does help...

Big hug

X