PDA

View Full Version : Weight Issues and Health Anxiety

kittykat
01-04-09, 11:31
Hi thought i would do a poll on this as i've always been curious about this question, I was just wondering if anyone has the same problems as me.
One of my fears is anything relating to cancer, so I know wieght loss can be a sign of this or some other serious illness. I really need to lose some more weight but I feel that by keeping the weight on or putting some on I know at least I don't have one of the signs of cancer and I cant be dying with a serious illness, and you here so many people saying '' oh you'd lose weight if you had anything serious wrong with you''. So I manage to lose not too bad amounts of weight , then I get some symptom that I put down to being cancer, and I start putting weight on again to see if my body can, now I know being overweight isn't good either for your health, all this yo-yo stuff has caused my metabolisim to be absolute crap. Does any of this make sense and can anyone relate, it's like at least i'm in control of something xx

Lissy43
01-04-09, 11:58
I am very underweight, well not as much as I was but when I do get anxious I lose my apetite.

leah22
01-04-09, 14:45
kittykat i am exactly the same! ive lost 8 stone in 2 years through doing slimming world but since i've had bowel problems that i think straight away this must be cancer! so i am eating chocolate and crisps now and then so i dont loose weight ( not gaining either as i'm not totally pigging out) but then i think if i still loose weight whilst eating theses that i must be ill !! but i havn't lost weight so i'm keeping that as a good sign at the moment. It's funny that we seem to do the same things us anxiety sufferers.

Mondie
01-04-09, 14:45
I strangley try to put on weight so that I'm not worried that I have a disease which causes weightloss - go figure!!

Kraggy
21-05-09, 22:10
I know exactly how you feel, Mondie. :P

I got the Metabolism of a Nasa rocket, so I burn my fuel & weight extremely fast..so just imagine how much I eat to gain weight xP

daniel22
15-06-09, 19:17
I used to weigh 7.5 stone before i started to suffer from anxiety, 3 months on i now weigh 10stone, spoke to my doctor but he says its the medication not the anxiety which i dont belive.

Nikky
25-06-09, 22:23
Since the age of 12, i have a minor problem of weight. I was not obese, but i had a minimum of 12 to 15 kilos to lose. When i started having anxiety problems, and since i started the treatment, i have gained 35 kilos. This is really bad, and is affecting my depression a lot. I don't know if gaining weight is a result of anxiety or the treatment.

Mich1111
01-08-09, 22:09
years ago I was on venlafaxine - over the years my weight went up. Two years ago I came off the medication and the weight fell off. Now friends and family call me boney. I am now on prozac but can eat and eat and still not put on any weight - guess it depends on your metabolism and medication.

pd
01-08-09, 23:35
My weight goes up and down quite a lot, I have a fast metabolism, so I've always found it far too easy to lose weight and quite hard to put it on, when I lose weight it usually sparks cancer fears, so I then deliberately gain a few pounds to make myself feel better. Since using a different hormonal contaceptive however, I've gained half a stone, which has reduced cancer fears, because I wouldn't be putting on weight if I had cancer. I know what people mean about losing weight being a symptom of a serious illness, so putting on some weight helps that, if that makes any sense?

Trixie
03-08-09, 07:26
I used to weigh 7.5 stone before i started to suffer from anxiety, 3 months on i now weigh 10stone, spoke to my doctor but he says its the medication not the anxiety which i dont belive.

Take my word for it is the medication.

I am on Cipralex and I put on 3 stone. I am eating things I never ate before and more of them.

I am quite annoyed as I lost 3 stone and yet when I was put on Cipralex (I don't suffer from HA but anxiety focused on my oldest Siamese cat-long story) I put it all back on in 6 months.

If you type in on Google the name of your medication and weight gain you will see what I mean.

When I put the 3 stone back on the doctor told me that the medication causes increased appetite change in taste and weight gain.:weep:

jaynem
03-08-09, 12:26
Hi there

I have polycystic ovarian syndrome which does not help with weight issues, I hate being overweight but if I loose weight I start to think I have a serious health issue mainly cancer.

I hate myself for thinking this but can not help it, I become obssessive with checking myself for things, everthing leads to thinking I have this.

I totally understand how you feel its not a nice feeling to have it takes over your life I think

Some days I try to block it out but its always there somewhere ready to leap out at you

Just wanted to say you are not alone xxxx

snoozy24
03-08-09, 23:45
hi everyone,

Im a very active 25 yr old who suffers from HA.i weigh 9 stone but over the last couple of weeks i have lost acouple of pounds!!!im eating as normal but playing golf everyday!!!think there is somethng seriously wrong with me, scared of the big 'C' so immediately think that i have it!!!

reassurance required.

george08
04-08-09, 11:41
when ever i go through a real bad patch i loose weight and then every one coments that i have lost weight and look good which then freaks me out because if they have noticed i have lost weight i must have cancer! Then i start eating loads of fattening foods like pizza takeawys so i can put the weight back on because if i can put on weight i dont have cancer! how silly!

allyp82
07-08-09, 12:45
I put on about 3-4 stone after going on Cipralex (esciptalopram) it increased my appetitie and gave me alcohol cravings (really strong cravings - i never used to drink before going on the meds!)

I decided i wanted to lose weight so started weight watchers. I managed to lose 2.5 stone and it was hard work. The i came off the tablets and started losing weight without trying. In total i have now lost 4 stone.

I am now convinced that the weight loss is because i have a serious disease (a specific disease that I am too embarrassed to go into) I am not losing huge amounts of weight - maybe half to 1 pound a week. But people keep telling me how well i am doing and it make me feel sick with dread because I am not trying any more.

I also have other symptoms of the condition i am worried about (gastric symptoms).

I also keep trying to eat more to see if i put on weight, but i don;t!

Equally, i wanted to maybe try the Cipralex again as i am feeling so bad, but as much as i am worried about the weight loss, i don;t want to put on 4 stone again just by taking the meds!

magpie girl
07-08-09, 14:04
i have gained 3 stone from mirtazapine,then cipralex,Im starting slimming world again to see if a change in diet will help.But i know its the meds and not my life style as i have always had a healthy diet

MandySlade
09-08-09, 22:28
when ever i go through a real bad patch i loose weight and then every one coments that i have lost weight and look good which then freaks me out because if they have noticed i have lost weight i must have cancer! Then i start eating loads of fattening foods like pizza takeawys so i can put the weight back on because if i can put on weight i dont have cancer! how silly!

Ohhhh trust me, I go through this all the time. I'm 5ft6 and (right now, I just checked) 121 lbs... but I have a really small frame. I've always been thin, naturally. The most I've ever weighed was 125. I always fret about being too thin and if I lose any weight I start freaking out. Recently I went through a really bad anxiety patch and I wasn't eating as much as normal (normally I eat A LOT, I have to because my body burns it off). I dropped down to 116 and started panicking thinking I have cancer. I started eating everything in site and got back up to 120 in a couple weeks. I asked the doctor last time I went if my weight was ok. He basically said I have a really tiny frame and I have a healthy body fat percentage (I actually have curves, despite my weight). Even then, as soon as a couple lbs comes off I fret.

The funniest part (in retrospect) is I was so worried during the last drop, convinced I have cancer, etc...
Then I started being less picky about food, trying to eat more protein, etc..
and I gained those 5 lbs back in a couple weeks. So, what do I do?

I start googling "rapid weight gain" and "health issues" associated with it.

*SIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIGH*