PDA

View Full Version : Really Anxious (advice wanted)

louise0501
01-04-09, 11:32
hey there, i'm really really anxious today about all sorts of things, for one i read somewhere that a tooth infection can lead to all sorts of problems and be fatal. i'm so scared of this because i havn't been to the dentist in about 4 or 5 years because im too scared to go but also i know i will need some work and can't afford it. i also broke a bit of my tooth off last year and im now worried that this may cause an infection? i do get some toothache but its quite minor and not all the time, but i put that down to sinusitus coz i get alot of pains around my eyes, face, jaw and temple as well. will i know if i have infection? will the pain be severe? i'm really scared and worried and i don't want to google.
Please reply
Luv Louise

PoppyC
01-04-09, 11:40
Hi Louise
You are not alone in how you feel. I have the same problem with a broken off tooth and I hate going to the dentist. I have not been to the dentist in years. I get pain on and off with mine. I worry more now too, as my dad died of septicemia from an undiagnosed water infection in December, along with other things, so my worry is that my tooth will cause an infection and you can guess the rest what I am thinking! I know I have to go to the dentist and I think this is the only way we can be absolutely certain that the tooth will not go on to cause further problems. If we had an infection it would cause a lot of pain, probably swelling and the pain would be constant. At least after going we wont have to worry anymore. I am going to be brave and book an appt. Are there any NHS dental clinics in your area that you can go to?

kittykat
01-04-09, 11:42
Hi Louise ,

the most common infection i think is an abcess caused by dental decay, and you would know if you had that, a lot of pain and also your face can swell and feel hot with it on the side with the pain. I know that the dentist can be expensive but mine lets me do a scheme on my treatment if it's going to be expensive, like splitting it into four more manageble payments, maybe you could ask about this. Oh and well done for not googling , take care xx

bex1970
01-04-09, 12:18
You would definitely know... and yes, it would be bad/bad pain. Try and be brave and get it checked out - I had a broken tooth, they just filed off the edges and kept an eye on it... nothing else. Try not to panic and I'm sure that infected teeth being left for a really long time might cause a few problems - but you don't have that so no need to worry. Most dentists are used to terrified patients.... as most people are scared of them!

louise0501
01-04-09, 17:16
so can a broken tooth or cause an infection? or anything serious?
please reply
Luv Louise

bex1970
01-04-09, 17:58
The only way I can see it causing an infection would be if it had split all the way up to the gum and you maybe had caught food in it or something... and no, it can't cause anything more serious than a small infection at worst....honestly. But, I would go to the dentist to get it checked out - not because it's serious (truly) but because if you've broken a tooth, you should see the dentist anyway... unless of course it's just slightly chipped, then don't worry about it... but it would be no more serious than an infection and that's all...
x