PDA

View Full Version : Is it my heart or is it gastro-esophageal reflux - please help!

Blot
01-04-09, 15:36
Hi all.

I had 2 PA'S yesterday, one after lunch & 1 after supper.
Today I had sudden pain in my throat & neck after lunch, of course I had a mild PA. I am now burping .Could this be GERD? I have had ecg's & my heart checked months ago when I was having "episodes" - the doc said that all was well. I feel so unsure of what to do, I cannot keep going to the A&E to be checked out but I am terrified that something sinister is happening & I am not close to a hospital. Please advise me, I need & look forward to your posts.:ohmy:

LisaLisa
01-04-09, 15:41
PA are horrible. Think sounds like anything you are feeliong since them is related to them,really if you think about it , its quite disturbing feeling so it takes ages to feel better after one, never mind two!!

If I were you I would just try and relax and do something to cheer yourself up and take your mind of feeling anxious

Lisa
xx

valleybear
01-04-09, 15:59
Sounds gastro related Blot. The PAs are horrible and I have this sort of thing during the night sometimes...many years ago I have called ambulances! Keep a couple of antacids handy to chew and when you feel the pain go away you will be more reassured. The fact that you got rid of wind too points to stomach related. Try not to worry. XXx

Blot
01-04-09, 16:27
Thanx for your reassurance! I need it so much. I never thought that GERD can be so painful, it is not heartburn, it is as if my esophageal muscles are painful! Does this make sense?

House fan
01-04-09, 16:43
Hi Blot

A course of omeprazole 20 mg, should do the trick. They don't work immediately though, but will settle things down after a few weeks.

House.

Sammy J
01-04-09, 19:05
Blot,

I am currently suffering from Gerd and it is indeed very painful. I've been to A&E several times since last summer with chest pain and after many tests I've been told it's Gerd.

Omeprazole is good but stopped working for me and I was back to daily pain so have started new tablets today.

By the way, as I am typing this I am in the middle of a big PA which as started because I took new tablet for 1st time a couple of hours ago...I read side effects and it sends me into a PA every time :(

Sam

Blot
01-04-09, 19:08
Hi SAM,

Oh boy, I know that panic when taking a new medication.I also read the blurb & feel so damn anxious that I will have an allergic restion to the tab.

Thanx for the advice, how are you feeling now?

Sammy J
01-04-09, 19:51
Slightly calmer but still feel abit spaced out and am yawning (I always yawn when coming out of a panic)...luckily my usual 'hands around throat' feeling isn't too bad.

Don't ya just love panic attacks?? :yesyes:

What made it worse was my partner saying I ''looked abit pale''...that set me off big time. Hoping it goes away shortly.

Sam

Blot
01-04-09, 20:06
Hmmmm, certainly not a breeze! I am reading Claire Weekes book at the mo. It is very very informative & insightful. I am trying to use her techniques to " cure" myself. I do not want to be a victim anymore. I am trying to FACE the panic, not run away from it or avoid it. Very easy to talk about, but not so easy to do.......

A HUG FOR YOUXXX

Sammy J
01-04-09, 20:26
Thanks Blot :winks: x

I have some stuff to read as I had my assessment for CBT last week (on waiting list for 9 months), and it all makes sense but putting it into practice is another story. I've even forgot to complete the 'panic diary' they gave me where I have to detail each PA, symptoms, duration etc...must catch-up with that later.

As well as changing my meds today I have also quit smoking :doh: ...have smoked for 22 years and quit today. I hope I hold it together and don't relapse as it will do my confidence good in a 'if I can quit smoking I can beat PA's/anxiety' kinda way.

Blot
01-04-09, 20:31
I commend you for taking the step to quit smoking! Well done. I was not a heavy smoker & only smoked for a few years. I decided to give up smoking before my 40th birthday, that was 5 years ago. I was fortunate that I did not ever feel the need to light up again. Good luck & take one day at a time.

How did you find out about CBT - is it offered through the NHS?

Sammy J
01-04-09, 20:45
My doctor offered to refer me when I ended up in A&E twice with PA's last summer, and I've just had my assessment. Not sure how the sessions will go but everything I have read has been encouraging.

From what I have seen on here though not all doctors are willing to refer patients for CBT.

Blot
01-04-09, 21:13
Yes, I found my GP less than interested in my PA's. I have felt rather helpless,that is the reason for reading Dr Claire Weekes. Good luck with the smoking!!

xxxx

enigmatique
01-04-09, 23:55
I had very similar symptoms a couple of years ago when I was revising for my finals and super-stressed. My GP prescribed ranitidine (a stronger dose than you can get over the counter) and it really did the trick, although if I remember correctly it took a week or two to really get it under control. I get the beginnings of it whenever I get stressed but I recognise the signs and take the tablets and usually I don't suffer too much any more.

Blot
02-04-09, 13:48
Thanx for all the support!!
xxxxx