PDA

View Full Version : citalopram

pinkemobunny
02-04-09, 10:49
well im new here and just want a bit of advice. I have been put on citalopram and this is my second day. I feel like i cant consentrate and go a bad headaches. I have been reading all about the side effects and now getting slightly worried about been on them, im on 20mg and just wondered is this normal to stay off on.

mo-cadbird
02-04-09, 11:02
hi,:welcome:

Yes, feeling odd is quite normal, if you read the threads under the citalopram in the meds section theres alot about these meds to make you feel reasured, it is scary :scared15:, but if in doubt speak to you dr! , mine started me on 10mg and then went to 20mg after a week, good luck :bighug1:

pinkemobunny
02-04-09, 13:39
hi, i will have a look thanks it is slighty scary, have long have you been on them?

mo-cadbird
02-04-09, 13:47
hi,

Been on meds since 23rd Feb, was really low when I started & still get the odd low day (today being one of them) but I can honestly say that i feel they are helping me to be me again - if you know what I mean, I'm still only on 20mg which reading the other threads is still relatively low. but it has made a difference to me - i can still 'function' without being in tears all the blo*dy time.

pinkemobunny
03-04-09, 08:11
yes i get what you mean, i dont no how long im on them or if there are going to up my dose. i got given 28 days then i have to go back when they run out. i was scared about going on them at first but im seeing it as a last resort because i cant cope and i didnt no what else to do.

mo-cadbird
03-04-09, 08:25
hi,

make sure you go back before you run out, missing a tab can increase the side effects! I must admit my GP has been great, with reviews on how things are going every week in the offset & now every two weeks, unless I feel I need to see him in between , then he'll fit me in at the end of surgery or will phone me if im overly uptight about anything. It might be worth have a chat with your GP about the side effects, and maybe he'll lower the dose initally & build up slower.
good luck :bighug1:

pinkemobunny
03-04-09, 08:31
yeh ill go back before i run out, this GP is really good none of my others have believed me and he does so i dont mind going to see him. ill leave it for now i am coping with the side effects coz i dont want them to get any worse. thanks. so how old are you if you dont mind me asking. x

mo-cadbird
03-04-09, 09:19
:doh: 44 this month ! agh :weep:

pinkemobunny
03-04-09, 10:53
aw that anit to bad, have you been depressed long

Yvonne
03-04-09, 11:02
Hi

You won't feel very good for a couple of weeks whilst you're going through the side effect stage. A chemical has been introduced to your brain and the little neurotransmitters have to get used to the drug. You should feel better after a couple of weeks - you just have to get through the side effects with these meds - which some people get to lesser and greater degrees.

Take care.

pinkemobunny
03-04-09, 11:04
hey, do you think it is better to take them at the night or in the morning.

thanks

mo-cadbird
03-04-09, 12:03
Been depressed & anx on & off for 5 years, but probably longer than that if i look deep down, realised that i needed help when I just couldn't take it anymore & thought about topping my self, which scared me, so I knew I needed help. I've just come back from the doctors this mornign & he doesn't want to see me for a month, which has got to be good :yesyes:.

I started taking meds in the evening as the inital side effects were hitting me at night, but my doctor advised me to take during the day now I'm getting used to them. appently more effective if you take in the morning as the calming effect helps though the day.

how long have you been low?

pinkemobunny
03-04-09, 12:09
ok well i might try them in an after noon keep having them earlier till i get to the morning if that works better.
i have been low about 5 years, i told the doctors but they didnt believe me, i tried to kill myself last year and have had cousling for the last year which i finished and thought i would be ok, then i just keep feeling low and bad and i couldnt cope so i went to the doctors thinking they wouldnt believe me but i would give it a go anyway and i have got a new doctor that is really nice and seems to understande the pain i am going through.

mo-cadbird
03-04-09, 15:55
have a good weekend - i'm off line over the weekends as I sit at a pc all week!

:bighug1:

things will get better :hugs:

kola
03-04-09, 16:57
Have been on 20mg for 7 weeks now, am feeling so much better, was put on for depression, but am still feeling anxious and trouble sleeping... worried that it should have cleared up by now. Anyone have advice?

K

kola
03-04-09, 17:00
P.S. am taking meds at night because they made me feel sick initially, is it better to take in the morning?

K

Budgie
03-04-09, 21:33
Have been on 20mg for 7 weeks now, am feeling so much better, was put on for depression, but am still feeling anxious and trouble sleeping... worried that it should have cleared up by now. Anyone have advice?

K

Hi Kola, I'm in the same situation. I've been taking cit for a couple of months now and find that it has helped take the edge of my depression, but my anxiety rages on! I haven't slept well in.... gosh I can't remember the last time really :shrug::unsure:

suzy-sue
03-04-09, 21:49
I was the same on 20mg.the depression lifted and i did have some good days,but the anxiety didnt improve much until i had been on 30mg for 3-4 weeks. Perhaps its worth talking to your Drs abt an increase.I have been told by a very good source and also read "that anxiety needs a higher dose" and should be taken for at least 9months to 1 year for the best outcome. All the Best SUE:hugs: :bighug1:

Rosie
04-04-09, 08:25
Hiya, i think ive got to the stage where i need a bit of help medication wise!

I take other medication, for high blood pressure, and Athritis, ive been reading about "Citalopram" and its side effects, is anyone else on this and on other drugs?? or do you have to go on something else??

pinkemobunny
07-04-09, 08:36
i have been taking them on the night but it making me not sleep, iv been getting really bad dreams as well. the sickness anit so bad, this is my 6th day on them. how do u no if you doctors give you fake pills?

holly21
12-04-09, 15:06
fake pills?! im really confused with citalopram as I was initially put on them for anxiety and now on week 6 my anxiety has increased, I also feel fatigued and cant get out of bed in the morning! urgh i think I will just come off them and try cope by myself again xx

pinkemobunny
14-04-09, 08:11
i dont no i had it into my head that the doctor had give me fake pills but i have been reasured now which is good and i dont believe that. im on my second week and things anit so bad excep i had a drink last night and after i had two i felt so depressed it was unbelieable.

PoppyC
14-04-09, 09:29
Hi Holly :)
I am going through the same thing. Can I ask what dosage you are taking?

NoPoet
14-04-09, 20:45
Holly, you need to speak to your doctor cos it sounds like your body isn't tolerating the medication. The doctor might recommend you try something else. Don't suddenly stop taking citalopram as there can be nasty withdrawal effects.