PDA

View Full Version : Stopped my Medication

sadie
27-12-03, 10:05
Hi all,

I haven't taken any Exeffor tablets since Monday of this week. The reason being that I ran out and never made it too the doctors on time on Xmas Eve to get a repeat prescription. This made me feel a little on edge on Xmas day and Boxing Day. :(

Anyway, I have been experiencing diziness, upset stomach and more scarily weird feelings on my right side of my head...I have been taking paracetomol which seems to have helped a bit. It seems a bit different to a migraine. I tried to phone NHS24 for some advice but they were so busy over the Xmas period that i couldnt get to speak to anyone at the time.

Does anyone know about the symptoms when you have stopped your medication? Are they dangerous or will it just take time for the medication to get out your system??

Please help[:0]

sadie

Meg
27-12-03, 10:59
They may feel bad for a while but they will pass.

They are not dangerous but can be very unpleasant. It depends what dose you were on when you stopped whether you had been tapering down or not.

Meg

Watch your thoughts, they become your words...
Watch your words, they become your actions... Watch your actions, they become your habits... Watch your habits, they become your character... Watch your character, it becomes your destiny...

sadie
27-12-03, 14:02
Radar,

I was taking 75mg every 2nd day. I dont think I will bother getting anymore now. How long will these symptoms last?

I think I will start 2004 on a positive note and focus on coping without the meds. At least I can always come for support here. Thanks for replying so quick for me..you are a star!!

Hope you had a lovely time in Switzerland.

sadie

benoo5
27-12-03, 14:31
hi sadie,

coming off meds,is difficult,at the best of times,let alone the xmas period...women seem to take the responsibility of getting everything right,on there shoulders,and can make an anxious person,even more so.

going without your meds during this time,must have been very difficult for you,but youve got through the worse of it now,and you should feel very proud of yourself,its little steps like this,that slowly turn into big steps.

i know,that you were a bit emotional over xmas,but that was to be expected,my friend,every household in the country,had at least one over emotional person in it...it seems to be the time of year to let lose,a few tears,and there better out,than in!

so,get your journals at the ready,next year is not going to be easy,but between us,were going to take little steps together,invisible hands,holding each other,whispering encouragement to each other,post every little success,doesnt matter how small,it may seem to you,to someone else,it may seem a giant step.

youve seen xmas through,without any meds,thats a great success on its own,be proud of yourself sadie,because,we all are :)..bryan.

sadie
27-12-03, 15:28
Bryan,

Well as I said to you before, i have been a bit emotional over Xmas and after reading your post the tears seemed to flow yet again.

Thanks for your lovely words and kind support. You have been such a help to me over the last few weeks. Its because of people like you that makes me feel that I will do this because you have faith in me and everyone else on this forum. You truly are a lovely person.

sadie

Meg
27-12-03, 17:11
Hi Sadie,

I'm still here till tomorrow and cannot get used to the french keyboard...

If you accept that you may feel a bit edgy for some time it'll be easier, rather than worrying about every twinge of anxt.

Meg

Watch your words, they become your actions... Watch your actions, they become your habits... Watch your habits, they become your character... Watch your character, it becomes your destiny...

sadie
27-12-03, 17:32
Radar,

i just cant seem to get it together at the moment. just came back from the shops as I really felt dizzy, sick and the twinges in my head are scaring me...I feel tingly down the right side of my body...could it be a migraine???I'm so confused and so worried (fighting back the tears as I write this!!)

I have phoned NHS24 now, but i still feel worried. The nurse I spoke to said the symptoms I am experiencing are due to stopping my med too quickly..and that they should pass in a weeks time!!! I am worried I have something wrong with my head..

I am so sorry for being like this over Xmas...I just dont no what else to do..

sorry

sadie

Meg
27-12-03, 17:46
Sadie,

I agree stopping it quickly or suddenly is not the easiest way.

Those twinges you've mentioned before when you were dropping doses. You do not get them every day. If it is a migraine - it will pass , if it is a anxiety withdrawal then it too will pass - albeit after making you feel quite paniky and all the symptoms that come along with it- of which all you mention can be anxiety related.

As you haven't got any tabs you will need to go through withdrawal sympoms to stay off them so either go and get some tabs asap or be firm and make a contract with yourself that you will get through this, look after yourself nutritionally, emotionally, spiritually and physically and will put up with symptoms for 3 weeks and then review the situation.

we'll support your through it but you need to be able to cope with some discomfort and NOT allow yourself to dwell on all the other highly unlikely options for twinges and feelings.It's not just about positive thoughts but separating the rational ones from the totally imaginary ones.

Meg

sadie
27-12-03, 18:01
Thanks Radar,

I know your'e right about putting everything into perspective..something which I do find quite difficult..especially in moments of anxiety.

I will do my best to not worry too much about these symptoms.. as you say, they will pass.... I think I will stop the med altogether though, as I have never truly felt comfortable on them anyway.

The thing that gets me though, is my GP was happy for me to just take 6 tabs every 2nd day until they finished and then that would be me weaned off them. I had to go back and ask for more tabs as I felt terrible then too. Surely he should have pre warned me about these side effects? Maybe I wouldnt be soo worried now if he had explained to me how I may be feeling... The nurse I spoke to at NHS24 said only 3% of the population experience these side effects is that true?

sadie

benoo5
27-12-03, 18:05
sadie,

just take a few minutes,to sit quiet,with no distractions,it might be a good idea,just to lay on top of the bed,in the dark...rest your hands gently on your tummy,and concentrate on your breathing,just for a few minutes...now keep repeating out loud...these symptoms ime having,are just a reaction...cos thats wot they are my friend,they are due entirely to withdrawing from your meds,they happen to everybody...it happened really bad to my sister,when i got her off diazepam...there is nothing physically wrong with you...keep telling yourself that,out aloud,dont worry wot hubby might say...making affirmations out aloud has been going on for thousands of years,and will continue to do so...every morning in the large squares,in the centre of chinas cities,tens of thousands of people do tai chi,and affirm away their fears and worries,so they can get on with their lives.

sadie,you are okay...these symptoms are horrible...but they will go away,and you will feel stronger afterwards..now,blow your nose..take a deep breath..every day,in every way,ime going to get better...bryan.

sadie
27-12-03, 18:26
Hi Bryan,

You have such a great way putting things into perspective...in such a way that puts a nice smile on my face.

Im not the most patient of people as hubby would tell you..I want these symptoms to pass like yesterday but I know they wont.

What is funny about all this is I actually found myself saying to myself today....give me panic attacks symptoms as I now understand them and feel I can cope with them now..but these weird feelings just scare me!!!

I just wish that when a GP prescribes these pills to you they explain how they will make you feel at the beginning, middle and end of the course...mines didnt and I would never have taken them if I know what I know now!! For anyone who has felt real peace from taking medication then I am sorry for my comments but I just wish I had never agreed to it.

The tears have stopped for the moment..Ive taken some parecetomol for my head which has helped a bit..hopefully these symptoms will pass soon!1

How long did your sister feel awful?

sadie

benoo5
27-12-03, 19:06
well,my sister had secretly been taking high doses of diazepam,for about two years,after the breakup of her marriage.

she went to get her repeat script,and her gp,said no,you need to stand on your own two feet...thats when i heard about it,for the first time,as a few days later,she came to me,in a terrible state.

i took her to my doctor,and he couldnt believe wot had happened..i explained to the doc,that i would wean her off the tablets,over eight weeks,and he agreed...after that,she had no withdrawals.

meg will tell you,that its not possible for us to tell you,how to come off medication,its between you,and your doctor,and no one else should interefere with that,as its unethical.

all we can tell you,is that your getting withdrawal symptoms,which everybody gets..they can be mild,or they can be fearce,my sister was actually shaking so bad,she couldnt stand up...i know your worried,my friend,but the symptoms wont harm you,and they will ease in time...try taking bach rescue...,and vitaminB complex..both should help,with your symptoms..shops open late tonite,ask hubby to pop to the chemist...best wishes..bryan.

sadie
27-12-03, 19:21
So do you think I am best going back to the doctors and asking to be weaned off them better?? I am so confused about my medication..I HATE IT!!!!!

As i mentioned before, I asked him about stopping the medication and about side effects etc and he said I would be fine..but obviously I am not.

I have Bach rescue in the house but not the VitaminB complex..will get that and hopefully this will make me feel a bit better.

I feel ok when I am sitting down..its when Im standing I feel dizzy..etc.etc. If these symptoms will last for more than 1 week I will go back to the doctors but if they will pass within that time..I think I will just cope with them.

I think its just the time of year that this has happened that is making it all seem so much more worse...I just dont feel like myself

thanks again Bryan, I am sorry for this...Hope you are ok and had a nice xmas.

Take care

sadie

apricot
27-12-03, 19:45
Hi,

I don't know whether this will help but I have now 3 times taken myself of meds, gone cold turkey, although it is not advised. You should gradually cut down the dose. I have been put on Prozac twice and Seroxat once. My thoughts are, well if you've got to get over it you might as well feel the full force, but there are times, and I have been there, when you are so desperate for some sort of release from the fear that you would do anything, if it is going to help. The symptoms that I got all three times were a feeling like an electric shock going through you body, hazy head, not quite feeling with it and a buzzing feeling. All these symtoms passed within a few weeks but you do have to perserve and if at any time you feel really bad, that you can't take anymore, go back to your GP for more meds, as sometimes people can become lower than they were before. Just take one hour, one day at a time. It may be just as well to get a repeat so if you do start to suffer badly you can take a pill. This was how I realised that the feelings were withdrawal - I'd forgotten to take my meds for 3 days and on the 3rd day I began getting all the above, yet when I took a pill within a couple of hours I felt 'normal' again. I have been off my last medication, prozac, since August and really do not want to go back on any again. I have had some really low times but know that I have to start trying to walk before I can run and that once I can run it will be easier without the stick to help that are meds.

Take care and beleive in yourself, you can do it.

Turn 'what ifs' into 'I can' and you will.

benoo5
27-12-03, 19:58
ime sure bach rescue,will help,just a few drops in a small bottle of mineral water,you can carry it about with you,just sip all day,and nite,keep it next to the bed ,and have a few sips if you wake up.

remember,you cant overdose on this,and it will take the edge off your symptoms..come on..start sipping!

best wishes..bryan.

sadie
27-12-03, 20:32
Thanks Bryan, again for your help and support.;)

Apricot (hope I got that right!)

The symptoms you are listing are exactly the ones that I am feeling. They are not nice at all but I will get over them...just like you have done and as Bryan and Meg have explained, so have many others.

I decided to find out some info for myself regarding withdrawal symptoms of Venlafaxine. I cam across this message forum which was similar to this one...but no way as good:). Anyway, people were listing their symptoms whilst taking this med and stopping it and its scary[:0]

Everyone discusses an electric shock sensation intheir body but others were talking about vivid nightmares and hearing voices, seeing lights etc...This is what I mean when GP's dont tell you of the side effects these type of meds can cause. Who in their right mind would take pills if they new that they would experience these side effects...I know if I was given the option I wouldn't and Ive only been taking this medication for 2 mths. Some people like yourself have been taking it for years.[:0]

Well I hope these symptoms will pass quickly...and that 2004 will be a drug free and happier year than this one has been for us all.
[8D]

Hope you have a good New Year.

Take care

sadie

sadie
28-12-03, 12:42
Hi Bryan,

Took your advice last night..put some Bach remedy in a some water and sat it next to my bed. i was a bit worried about going to sleep in case I got a bad nightmare etc as I have read some info on the net about withdrawal symptoms of Effexor and thats what a lot of people describe they suffered.[:0]

Anyway...managed to have a great sleep last night..no bad dreams, no waking up in a panic etc. Maybe these symptoms will pass quicker for me as unlike many others I have only been taking these meds for a short period of time and not at a particularly high dosage (fingers crossed)[:I]

Well I feel ok at the moment...bit of a sore head but no electric shock sensations in my head yet....thank god!

Thanks to everyone who took the time to help me yesterday..I really appreciate it. I was at a very low ebb yesterday!![V]

Thanks again!

sadie

apricot
28-12-03, 13:21
Hi Sadie,

See you can do it! :) Just take minute by minute, hour by hour, day by day. If you do get any of the sensations again, just try to reason with you mind...these feelings mean that my body is returning to normal, they will not last, they are only feelings and they can't hurt me, I got through this yesterday and I can do it again today...this is my new start and Panic is not going to control me again...I am in control. I also find if you can get angry with it, it helps. I found that in someway getting angry and having an arguement in your mind with the Panic defuses it somehow?

Anyway you are doing brill, take care, you are well on your way.

Nikki

pauline
28-12-03, 13:35
Hi All

After reading all the posts i'm in more of a mess than ever. Have suffered with anxiety and panic for 14 years. Got better and then 6 years ago everything came back, ended up leaving job and being in a constant state of panic 24/7. Slowly over the years i have got so much better and now work. But all of this is local nothing to far away. So after having a stressful 2 weeks with partner making me feel bad about not going to works christmas partys because they were about 45 min drive away. I decide that i had to do something, and went to my doctor to ask for something have to say that over the years have tried different tabs but nothing has helped me that much. My doctor has also said how proud he is of me that i try without med. Anyway my councellor told my doctor to give me Citalopram and i thought right i'm taking as cannot stand the way i am anymore. But when you read the posts i wonder what the heck am i doing starting tabs. Here's lots of you getting of them and here's me going on them, i suppose i was wondering should i take them will they help me. I just do not know anymore. Feel more confused then an ever. Has anyone here had the fear of going away from the home and gotten over it? If so how did you managed it? I just feel so much terror at the thought of being so far from home, and i cannot say its because i feel panic free at home as i still have panic attacks at home.

Take care
pauline

pjpriest

sadie
28-12-03, 14:08
Hi Pauline,

I am so sorry If I have made you feel more confused about taking your medication. What has happened to me over the last few days has been due to the fact that I have had no tablets to take as I ran out and was unable to get anymore from my GP. The result being that I have suffered horrible withdrawal symptoms. In normal circumstances these symptoms would not really present themselves to the extent they have as I would be weaned off them properly.

Pauline I am also a bit like you, I have suffered anxiety and panic attacks for over 3 yrs now and never taken any medication to help with the symptoms as I always thought the cure lies within me. However, I lost my job recently after months of bullying etc at work and I suddenly felt that I just couldnt cope anymore...thats why I finally agreed to take soem pills for a short period of time.

However, I never felt that good on the medication, I seemed to suffer a lot of side effects etc..I realised that I did not want to take these pills. That is why I have tried to wean myself off them but not that successfully as you have probably guessed.

Anyway, that is my story but there are lots of people who have found great peace when taking medication and its seems to help them cope with their anxiety. The choice is yours to make, only you know whether its the right thing for you to do. A good friend recently told me, I can not make your mind up for you, I can only offer help and support when you need it.

What is right for one person does not necessarily mean it is right for another. You should read lots of different posts on this forum on coping strategies etc and you will find that some people cope successfully through taking medication, others through Cognitive Behavioural Therapy or Counselling which you are recieving. Its through trial and error that you find the right one for you.

I have been a member of this great forum now since November and for me this has been the best medicine ever. There is so much advice, help and support that you just cant get from anything else. I know that in the end, its down to me to cope with my anxiety and its only me that can do it but I know that when times are hard I can come here for just a bit of help and support to help me stay focused.

Whatever, you decide to do always remember we will be here to help you the best we can and the only way we know how. Remember you are not alone in this...we all truly know what you are feeling and that we all can get better together.

The best advice I was given by Meg and that I can pass on to you is to look after yourself emotionally, physically, spirituality and nutritionally and you will be making a head start in your recovery.

Take care

sadie

sadie
28-12-03, 14:56
Hi Apricot,

Forgot to say thanks for the support...head feeling a bit swarmy at present, so have been doing what you have suggested...telling myself that I CAN DO IT....I coped ok yesterday and will cope again today.

I must admit, Im feeling a liitle nervous as hubby is going out for a couple of hours..but Im not prepared to let myself get scared. I will be ok..(will tell myself that anyway)

Thanks Again

Hope your well

sadie

apricot
28-12-03, 15:18
Hi Sadie,

Keep yourself occupied! I never used to worry about being on my own but I do at times now. My partner had to go to a works thing for chistmas and I didn't know how I was going to cope...but I did. Just keep busy. My parnter is out at the moment with the kids and I am here on my own, just remeber there was a time when you didn't think twice about being alone. Turn the negs into pos. And another thing I find that helps when it all seems to get too much, do something funny. Like stare into a mirror and pull the weirdest face you can, run around the house jumping and dancing silly or try to climb the stairs on your knees...just something to bring the kid out in you again, to make you smile :) !

sadie
28-12-03, 15:26
I have this nice funny image of you..climbing the stairs in your knees or maybe going down them on your bum...sounds like good fun but I dont have any stairs!!! Nevermind, Im doing the house work at the mo and got Will Young on so Im presently singing along to that...that will keep me occupied.

Also, my hubby has started to make mushroom soup but has left me with instructions on how to finish it. This involves using the belnder which is a piece of kitchen equipment that doesnt really like me...hopefully everything will be ok and that the soup wont end up all over me and the kitchen ceiling!! Will keep you posted on this...

Take care

sadie

pauline
28-12-03, 16:06
Hi Sadie

Thanks for your reply. I suppose i think that because i have had the anxiety for so long and yes i have done well. There was a time when i was like you would hate to be left on my own used to panic terrible. So i know i'm so much better, its just this going away from the house, thats why i thought would take tabs, have had councelling for some time now. feel i'm at stale point right now. Councellor says that cause i have had panic for so long it is deeply in bedded into my mind and will take alot to get it out, and i do see what she means its just automatic to me now to panic. I know all there is to know about panic have read all the books, tried all the new herbal tabs that have come out. I drink lots of water take vits do the exerciseing only have one cup of tea. But i just cannot move from the panic of leaving home. So on one hand i am better but the other hand i'm not as my life is still ruled by fear and i am still trapped in my safety zone. So have decided will give them a try and if i'm not good on them then will just stop them what have i to lose.

Ps i look forward to getting to know you all, its so good to have somewhere to come that truely knows what i am talking about and do not have to explain myself.

Take care
Pauline

pjpriest

rick
28-12-03, 16:16
Hi sadie!

You answered a post of mine earler, and, not being real familiar with the board, am still a little discombobulated(!) (how's THAT for a word)as to how it works and where folks are.

Anyways, I read with great empathy this series of posts by you. I know apricot and all the others have given you wonderful advice, but may I offer one thing that may or may not help.. When I suffered from my bad attacks in the 1980's, a counselor, who, unfortunately for me at the time, was not availiabe here for very long, DID give me a suggestion that gives temporary relief.

Perhaps this has been mentioned before (Remember, I'm a newbie), and to some, a little barbaric - but it may help a bit. It's called the amazing rubber band cure. Place a rubber band around your wrist. (Be sure and make sure it's not tight - you don't wat your hand to turn blue!!!). Whenever a surge of panic comes on you, give the band a snap, and see what happens.

Some may think this a form of negative reinforcement, but for me, it gives all those panicky chemicals flowing around your body something else to do! (You can almost hear them saying, "Who the heck just snapped me on the wrist!! Let's check it out".) The chemicals that go looking for who just popped you are much nicer than the ones that go swirling around our bodies (for me, my stomach), just looking for ways to make us miserable.

This may be too simple, and, granted, it only works very short term, but even a moment of peace in a tumultuous state is wonderful, as I all too well know!

Hang in there, remember, you're in the worst of it right now. It'll get better, 'cause folks like us care, and we don't let bad things happen to folks we care about!! (this would be the point I would insert a smiley face, but I haven't figured it out, yet...)

Rick

sadie
28-12-03, 16:46
Thanks Rik,

Thaks for the advice..will give the elastic band thing a go..Im up for trying anything once.

Thought Id help you out with the smiley faces etc...instead of doing a quick reply...at the bottom of the page there is an option of 'Reply to topic', this will allow you to insert some smiley faces etc...

Well take care and speak to you soon!

sadie

Meg
28-12-03, 17:37
Sadie,

Good for you, getting a good night after a difficult day .

You have been doing so so well. Review the last few weeks and the successes you've shared with us !!

I'm sure much of this is the fact that you cannot control whether you take the pills or not as you don't have any and cannot get any instantly !! So you're stuck at present.
Your choice whether you return to them . We'll here whichever you choose. You will need to come off them one day and cope so that time could be now especially as you're already part way through ...

Sleep with you is important as the settling down in your brain will mostly be done whilst you're sleeping .

How was the soup ?

Meg

Meg
28-12-03, 17:45
Pauline ,

Meds can really give you a break and the extra confidence whilst you work on overcoming your fears but they are mood altering drugs and will not remove your fear process and triggers so do not just sit back and revel in being fear free when you're on them - really challenge yourself and work on getting over your fears so when oyu do come off them you are more prepared to cope without them .

Remember - settling in with meds may cause sideeffects for the first few days/weeks - be aware of this and don't panic with each twinge . It's normal !!

You can do it.

Meg

benoo5
28-12-03, 17:47
hi rick,

we used the elastic band trick in the army,when stationed in belfast,we would go long stretches,without sleep,and if we felt our eyes closing,we would twang the elastic,and although it made our eyes water,it was better,than getting a bullet through the head.

its a great idea though,as you say,it gives the chemicals something else to think about..i also agree with nikki,when she says get annoyed.

i read a great article,and posted about it months ago.......this guy,had panic attacks for 20yrs,and could take it no longer...so next time he felt an attack coming on...he shouted out aloud <come on you bxxxxxd,come and get me,do your worse>,and it did,but he just sat there,and took it,as it was raging all over him,he kept shouting out<is that the best you can do>,well it subsided eventually,for the next few weeks,he still got panics,and each time,he would dare it,to do its worse,but it never did,he reckons he scared the sxxt out of it,and it was getting scared to come back....well over the next couple of months,the panics got less,and less,and when they did come,they were mild,so mild,he would laugh at them out loud.....its 5yrs or more now,since his last panic...he says sometimes he tries to bring one on,just to show it whos boss,but it wont come.

sorry to ramble on...best wishes..bryan.

sadie
28-12-03, 18:00
hi everyone,

not doing so well now...all alone and had a massive panic attack. Had to phone NHS24 again and nurse thinks I need to speak to someone tonight to see if they can help me. Just phoned my friend who is coming over just now and taking me to GP.

Again feel like a failure...I just cant stop crying again. I keep getting the funny sensations in my chest and throat again...just want to disappear...

have to go

sadie

apricot
28-12-03, 18:14
You are not a failure. Little steps first and if you need someone to give you cuddle and tell you things are gonna be ok, then thats fine too(we've all needed that at some time). You've got to remember that if you suffer from PA's then you are hyper-sensitive and that any little change in your body will draw attention to its self. So coming off meds will give you sensations that you will pick up on, you are not mad or weird, you are normal. Even someone coming off cigges will get sensations in their body and they use patches etc.. to help calm these down, so if you do go to the GP and he gives you more meds, then fine, you can work at coming off them gradually, causing you as little upset as possible. You are still progressing, don't think you aren't. We all need to learn to crawl before we can walk and I think that is true with PA's. We are learning all over again, but with the added problem of having a conscience. When we were little did we worry about having an upset stomach, having a bad cold so our breathing was a little out or working up a bit of a sweat? No, because we had no real conscience. Our parents worried for us. So, you have made great progress in even trying and if you need a little help along the way, so what, we all need it at some time and it is not a race.

Take care, and remember, you are not alone.

Nikki

benoo5
28-12-03, 18:28
sadie,we can get through this again...i will go onto messenger later,if you feel up to chatting.

your a very brave lady,and you will get there my friend,there is a lot of love for you,on this forum,and together,we will all get you through this.

you know where i am...bryan.xxx.

pauline
28-12-03, 18:49
Hi sadie

you are doing GREAT sorry i should of said that before.
Hang on you can do it, your such a brave person and i'm only just getting to know you. I so feel for you i know where your coming from
i so hope your on here and that your friend has come round to distract you thats what you need right now. Someone to take your mind of things. Please believe me you will get better it cannot get any worse. Please let us know how you are our in my thoughts and i'm worrying for you as i know how you are suffering. Have a large glass of wine will it help?

take care
Pauline

pjpriest

rick
28-12-03, 19:02
I feel so bad for you... Bcause I know what its like. Hang in there. It'll get better - because, as several others have said, you're in the worst of it right now.

It's like a feedback loop. Once it gets started, its so hard to get it to stop, and what works for some may not work for others. Just keep trying, and once you find something that makes the attacks pause, if only for a moment, then, hang on to it. Remember, if you can feel even a moment of peace, then all is not lost. If we can still feel, we can still heal. You can make it thru the night...

I'm pulling for you over here!!

Rick:)

sadie
28-12-03, 20:51
Hi everyone,

I am so touched by all the help and support I have received today and over the last couple of days...you dont know just how much it means to me.

I have been to the GP tonight. I wrote down all the symptoms I have been experiencing over the last few days...something Bryan told me to do as I always forget to mention something. Anyway, he took one look at it at said that they were all just anxiety symtoms.

I told him about stopping my med etc..but he said that my symptoms were unlikely to be withdrawal symptoms as I havent been on them that long and it wasnt a particularly high dosage. But I explained about the electric shock sensations in my head but again he said that its more thanlikely a symptom of anxiety but could be a withdrawal symptom.

Anyway, basically all he offered me was some Valium to help me through which I said NO THANKS. Basically he said its up to me what I want to do..either take more tablets for at least another 4 mths or just learn to cope without them. What he did say though is that I am probably the type of person that will always suffer from anxiety and I will just have to learn to cope with it.

Dont really know what to do. If anyone can help me make a decision I would really appreciate any of your comments.

Thanks again

sadie

sadie
28-12-03, 21:00
Hi Radar,

forgot to mention about the soup....believe it or not but I couldnt get the blender to work...I bet it did it deliberatly but at least Im not covered in mushroom soup...hubby has got it to work and it tastes really good.

sadie

pauline
28-12-03, 21:08
Hi Sadie

So glab to read that you managed to get to doctors. Thats a difficult question to answer only you know how bad you are feeling.

If you are feeling like i was at the beginning of anxiety then perhaps you should stop frighting and take the meds. Ask yourself did you feel better on the meds than you do now? can you suffer the way you are for much longer? What is the quality of your life at the moment? Will the tabs help you to cope? remember that nothing is written in stone and you do not have to stay on meds for ever just to get you over this difficult time.

Take care
Pauline

pjpriest

Meg
28-12-03, 21:08
Dear Sadie,

It's totally your choice. Write down pros and cons and see which list is longer.

The net result is that sometime you may need to come off them ie baby producing. When is the best time for you to learn to cope ?

I forget where you live. Would you like me to come over and spend some time to try to figure out what bit is eluding you as you're so very nearly there most of the time but are still prone to geting caught in the downwards spiral to panic sometimes ?

You may be a worry wort but you do not - whatever personality you are- need to live with anxiety that hinders your everyday life.

I hate it when GP's put panic down as a character trait. It's not.

Meg

sadie
28-12-03, 21:16
Oh Radar, if only I could bend your ear, so to speak for a few hours that would be great, but I live in Scotland!!! do you fancy a small holiday to Scotland perhaps???

I was a bit annoyed too when he said that he thinks Im the type of person that will always suffer anxiety...he doesnt know me at all..

Have just done the pro/con list and well I can only think of one to stay on the pills and that is to stop feeling like I do now...there are so many points for not going back on them..the list is endless.

Well, you have just helped me make up my mind..thanks.

The only thing is though, I may need all your help a bit more at first until I find my feet again...hope you all dont mind!!

sadie

benoo5
28-12-03, 21:26
so glad your okay my friend,

meg,as usual,is so right,this can be overcome,its a matter of finding,and using the right tools for the job...best wishes..bryan.

Meg
28-12-03, 21:27
Dear Sadie,

It's a biggie though when you feel really awful. In the weeks you were on them after settling down did they help ?

Have you tried betablockers ?
Remind me what you are actually doing to support/heal yourself these days.

Whereabouts in Scotlands airport wise ?

Meg

sadie
28-12-03, 21:36
Radar,

I live about 10mins from Prestwick airport or 30min for Glasgow Airport...do you know Scotland at all??

As for the meds...I guess I felt ok on the meds but they didnt take away the sensations completely for me, they probably made them less severe or frequent.

I have tried beta blockers when my anxiety first presented itself but only for 1 mth then GP took me off them.

At the moment, Im not doing that much to heal myself..which is probably half the problem. I am trying to do some breathing exercises as I find I overbreathe quite a lot but apart from that not much else...

have decided that I will start 2004 on a much more positive note...I will eat better, do some form of relaxation, keep a journal, take vitamins, try and do some exercise...what else do you recommend???

sadie

Meg
28-12-03, 21:58
Did the betablockers help ?

All of the above as well as addressing your downward spiral...

I may be wrong but it seems to me that you start off fine and strong and then get a symptom, it freezes you and then you start analysing it and then get another one , blow them out of realistic proportion when deep down you know it's only anxiety, then you focus on being alone and what might happen and then you let it win and off to a panic attack you whizz.

Meg

sadie
28-12-03, 22:05
Radar,

It was 3yrs ago and I think they helped a small bit..I think I still had symptoms etc. They help when your hearts racing etc, is that correct??

Anyway, I think you are so right about me...deep down I know its anxiety but the symptoms seem to scare me still. Dont really know why as I have experienced the same ones for 3yrs and Im still living to tell the tale!

How do I stop this??? Do you have the answer Meg??

sadie

Meg
28-12-03, 22:31
Yes, that's right. No side effects and dampen down symptoms of heart racing brethlessness etc.

Which symptoms are the scary ones and what happens in your mind to actually scare you. You can email me directly through the site if you don't want to be public.

I think a diary will really help you and taking a holistic view of it all rather than doing 'sound bite' healing.

You stop it yourself , I may be able to guide you but you need to work at it consistantly and be prepared to feel yuk at times.

Meg

sadie
28-12-03, 22:38
Thanks Radar,

I would like to email you and maybe explain things in more depth with you if thats ok?

What do you mean by a holistic view and 'sound bite' healing?

sadie

Meg
28-12-03, 22:45
Sure, that's fine .

An all round view of yourself and proactive multi faceted healing not just reactionary at the moment when you feel yuk .

Nutritionally, physically, emotionally, spiritually etc

Panic is the release of the pressure cooker valve. Our aim is to heal ourselves so as not to get to that state to start with.

Meg

sadie
28-12-03, 23:01
I understand now..

I will email you so I can talk more personally with you about my anxiety.

I dont know how to thank you for all your kind help and support over the these last few days...you are such a special lady.

Thanks so much

sadie

twister
29-12-03, 13:49
Hi Sadie

Sorry to hear you have been feeling so bad over Christmas time...I too had a doctor who told me I would have to be on meds for the rest of my life as I would never recover from anxiety. I went to see a pyschiatrist who put this in to perspective a bit more. He said as I have worried all my life I probably will always be a 'worrier' but this does not entail suffering from panic attacks and that with help I would become 98% better - which'll do me!

So dont give up hope and ignore your stupid doctor...

Emily

sadie
29-12-03, 19:45
Thanks Twister,

The more I have thought about what the GP said, the more determined I am too cope and get over this.

Anyway, today was slightly better than yesterday..which can only be a good sign..at least its not any worse. I woke up today and felt a bit more alive or maybe not so fuzzy in the head...do you know what I mean?? I have been so tired lately and have found it so difficult to get up in the morning etc..today I felt better.

I did have a few weird sensations in the head again..felt a bit dizzy and nauseous but whats new? I cant think of the last time I didnt feel like this!!

Well, a new year is dawning and i am determined to cope with this and get better. Thanks for your support, it means a lot to me.

Are you still on meds?

sadie

nomorepanic
29-12-03, 22:45
Sadie

Everyone starts the new year with great intentions so I decided to break the mould and start today. A few people at work said to me "it is not the new year yet" but why wait - lol.

I am starting today - get a head start on the rest eh?

Hope you feel better

Nicola

sadie
29-12-03, 22:53
Hi Nicola,

Well to be honest, its through circumstance that Ive decided better now than later to stop the meds. Never mind..Im starting to feel a bit more human now and feeling quite positive about it all.

This forum was such a wee life saver for me over Xmas, god knows what would have happened if I didnt have the support from everyone on here.

Hope you had a fab Xmas though...did you get lots of nice pressies?

sadie