PDA

View Full Version : Still Worrying

kittykat
02-04-09, 14:48
I'm really needing advice here, I've had pain under and around my right armpit and to the side of my breast for over a week and a half now, I cant feel any lumps and nothing is enlarged, it just started after I finished my period,when I'm sitting still it's okay it's just when I move certain ways with it, I'm feeling panicky cause it isn't going away I'm even feeling pain into my right arm as well . I'm scared in case its the start of breast cancer, you hear lots of people getting it at my age 37. I can't go to the doctor's again as i was just there last week getting a swab taken for a suspected infection, still waiting for the results. I'd be too embarassed to go back i seem to be always there at the moment but its just one thing after another. I'm just so scared this pain is breast cancer, help.

vh
02-04-09, 15:01
hi you do sound really worried. Don't worry about how often you go to the doctors if you suspect anything get it checked. Have you taken any tablets does it ease slight when you do? I get that pain too but on the left side and down my shoulder mine is the anxiety though!

kittykat
02-04-09, 15:11
I've taken paracetamol and im also on diclofenac for my back but it doesnt really take it completely away , im just wanting to know what it is , pain that i dont know what the cause is scares me xx

Wee-Mee
02-04-09, 15:12
What kind of pain is it hun?

I've had a weird thing in my arm pit round at my breast but it's the left side so my fears are heart attacks.

It kinda goes away though then comes back

kittykat
02-04-09, 15:16
its like a achey pain in my armpit and also at the side of my breast at the top, but its worse certain ways i move and im also getting the aching feeling at the top of my arm as well.....argh

Wee-Mee
02-04-09, 15:30
it sounds like maybe a little infection sweety or a little abcess in which case they would give antibiotics for it :)

Or muscular? Could it be? I've pulled so many muscles here and there and they all get sore in different ways!

I hope you feel better soon sweety.

If it was breast cancer though I don't think it's sore.

It would be sore more when it was advanced and if it was advvanced you would be in alot more pain hun

xxxx

kittykat
02-04-09, 15:37
If it was breast cancer would you have a lump, cause im thinking what if it is and ive had it a while ,although there's no lump there, sorry for going on just worried x

bex1970
02-04-09, 18:35
I get that too.... really aching under arm, pain in breast.... apparently it's really common - and can be to do with your cycle.... mine got so bad that I had to take painkillers quite a lot at one stage....

I remember there was a poll on here - think it was the symptoms one, its one the symptoms listed - and LOADS of women said yes to it. Made me feel a lot better actually because I was convinced it was breast cancer too.... but had no lumps like you....

It's not - it's anxiety and hormonal - probably related to your back as well and I have it too - on and off, normally when a few of my many other worries have subsided (temporarily!!)...

Lots of people post about it... promise.
x

kittykat
02-04-09, 18:47
ok ive been bad and googled, im really worried now, they are saying underarm pain can be a sign of an agressive breast cancer it doesnt have lumps just what im experiencing, omg im really scared i hate feeling like this, and im not seeing the doctor till monday , what can i do

nomorepanic
02-04-09, 18:59
Calm down and stop googling for one thing

If it was breast cancer it would hurt all the time and not just when you move so it is definitely not that.

Sounds like a pulled muscle to me

kittykat
02-04-09, 19:13
Thanks everyone for the replies, I hate when these feelings get the better of me, cant cope with them , this is when i need my mum. I'm going to take a diazepam to see if it'll calm me down a bit, i'll see if i can get my appt moved from monday to 2morrow.

Wee-Mee
02-04-09, 19:26
I hate seeing you going through this. I know how hard it is.

I really think google should have some sort of block with symptoms and things..

It's like I am starting to think that half of the medical pages and stuff are done by people that aren't really in the medical profession and just do their own crazy research. Is there no one you can speak to just now to calm yourself a bit??

To be honest I am in a bit of a weird place with my breasts just now too cos I noticed a little dark spot on one of nipples which is freaking me out now!

It really is never ending and I'm sorry you have to suffer like this hun xxxxxxxxxxxx

Stressed32
02-04-09, 20:28
I had this years back under my right arm. There was no lump, it just hurt really bad. I went to my OBGYN and she felt around and pushed...which hurt SO SO bad. She did not feel a lump. She told me it was bruised. At the time, I was in college carrying a heavy bookbag. Sure enough...I switched shoulders and it went away. Have you strained yourself lately or lifted something heavy..worked in the garden, anything?

kittykat
02-04-09, 20:38
No and That's whats scaring me, ive not done anything like that i have lower back problems with my discs and arthritis so have got to be careful what i do and heavy lifting is a no go, so it must be something serious, just wish i could stop worrying. My stomach is all churning with it, its making me feel shakey, i have took a tablet so hopefully it will kick in soon, just wish it was monday so i can see the doctor about it. I hate this anxiety xx

jojo2316
03-04-09, 11:06
Breast cancer is my HUGE fear so I've researched it a fair bit! The kind of breast cancer that causes pain is immflamatory breast cancer....... and you are right, ibc often doesn't include a lump....... BUT it doesn't at all sound like the type of pain you have...... It includes reddness and swelling and mimics an infection, like mastistis.
Remember breast pain is very common and it is very rarely caused by breast cancer.
But do go to your doc s/he will be able to reassure you, I'm sure.......
xxxx

jojo2316
03-04-09, 11:13
P.S..... I recently had a breast ultrasound (to try and alleviate my bresat anxiety!) and the consultant said that as I approach my mid to late 30's (I am 32 at the mo), I may start to get weird pains in my breasts. She said it is very common, and people often worry about it, but it's all about hormones, not cancer. She said to expect it!

LisaLisa
03-04-09, 12:40
Hey

This is the next day I know so you might be feeling a lot better I hope but it was just to say that stress can make your body really achey. Is the feeling like an overused muscle almost like you have done to much at the gym? if so then its definately stress hormones and monthly stuff to blame. The last post about inflammatory breast cancer is very true , it is the breast itself that is sore and extremely swollen and red and the skin goes like orange peel and it was be extremely obvious very quickly, you would not have a chance to see the intermediate stage before it gets bad, not with that.

Your okay!

Lisa
xx

kittykat
03-04-09, 13:19
thanks for the replies again, ive just gotten up as i took some diazepam just to calm me and its making me feel so groggy. I still have the pain but no redness, as for swelling how would you know would your breast be hard feeling, as mine is not and it looks roughly the same size as the other one. I couldn't get an appointment today so am just having to wait till Monday, I am still really worried i was counting the days and it's been 14 since it kicked off. When im sitting its not sore, definately when i move it i feel it or certain ways i turn in bed, but i know its not exercise that's caused it. I'm 37 so I dont know if that's got anything to do with it, i just wish it was Monday, can't even eat much as my stomach is churning .

belle
03-04-09, 13:30
When im sitting its not sore, definately when i move it i feel it or certain ways i turn in bed

Muscular.

The fact it hurts when you move it, is a big sign that its nothing sinister. IF it was, you've had pain pretty much all the time.

I've pulled muscles before and not known how i've done it. Especially around the boob/rib area.

Stop googling - BIG mistake :)

x

kittykat
03-04-09, 13:44
I know googling is bad, I also read that prominent veins can be a sign as well especially if just in one breast exactly what i have, i have 2 in the breast that is sore, there not raised or swollen just noticeable like the veins you can see on your hand ,im so sure i have the start of it as i have all the symptoms, really freaking out, so scared, just wish i could see a doctor sooner x

LisaLisa
03-04-09, 15:16
Hey

Honestly you will be fine. You are very very very anxious and your mind is playing tricks on you promise. Adrenaline causes loads of weird aches and pains and you havent eaten or anything you will just keep feeling worse and worse if you dont give yourself a break, you dont deserve to keep telling yourself you have this problem, you dont have ANY of the symptoms from your description AT ALL!! You most likely, if you are anything like me, are just acutely aware of the harmless ache because you are sooooooo worried about it.

Its okay its just HA!!

lISA
XX

kittykat
03-04-09, 21:49
I also just noticed that my sore breast is a bit larger, i really do have a lot of the symptoms, ive just had a huge argument with my hubby as well telling me to calm down but i cant, im so scared still , what can i do to get rid of this fear going round and round in my head and why is my diazepam not calming me down? x

belle
03-04-09, 22:16
I've had LOADS of symptoms in the past to MANY illnesses and its funny, 'cause as soon as i read about another symptom, i could bet a million pounds within a day (maximum) i WILL have that new thing i read about!

The mind is a very powerful thing and will cling onto all the things you fear and make them reality, thats what it does.

You read about visable veins, you have them, you read about one breast larger than the other (although that is perfectly normal and so is prominant veins) and you have them...

If you're that worried and you seem to be that way, tell the doctor you think you have breast cancer and see what he does then.

x

eurotrashcub
03-04-09, 23:16
"I have pain in the right upper part of my body, therefore it must be cancer"

Read the statement and imagine one of your friends tell you that. What would you say?

Chances are that your pain is muscular. Tense your musles around the area. Does it get worse when you do? That would prove it is muscular but even if does not get worse, it does not mean you have cancer.

Try to relax and think objectively. And if it does not go away in another week or so, why don't you call NHS direct or see your practise nurse or GP if you are really worried about it? This will reassure you.

And do not google!

In a month you will be laughing about this health anxiety, although unfortunately you might have moved on to another one!

Hugs and chin up!

Stressed32
04-04-09, 00:41
What about coffee & caffine...they make boobs hurt too.

eurotrashcub
04-04-09, 16:38
Does it? I know nothing about boobs!

kittykat
06-04-09, 17:32
Okay , went to the doctors there and told her about my boob how i've had the pain for a fortnight anyway ended up breaking down in floods of tears talk about feeling like an idiot and explained that I just hated feeling like this how everything had gotten on top of me, she asked what could have caused me to feel like this again ( wasn''t my usual doctor) and told her I was struggling to cope after my mum dying etc and i was constantly almost ocd checking again and thinking everything was cancer and the anxiety was crippling at the moment, basically told me that I shouldn't be feeling like this after 6mths and "" should be getting over it"" .....she then examined my breasts and said everything felt fine but if the pain persisted that it would have to be looked into more. I've came out with a prescription for fluoxetine and still feel completely worried as she never really said what could be causing the breast and underarm pain. I've to go back in another month as the fluoxetine needs to be reviewed , i'll make sure it's my own doctor but if it was an inflammatory breast cancer would it spread in that month and be untreatable, help........:weep: Lastly can I just say how great you guys all are if it wasn't for everyone on here I honestly don't know where i'd be just now, so hugs to you all :hugs: xx

sahara
06-04-09, 18:55
Hi Kittykat,

I am sorry I can't give you any advice over your boobs, but the Dr is wrong wrong wrong. You don't get over your Mum dying in 6 months. Rubbish.

My Mum died at the end of November and it has triggered all my HA again so I understand so much where you are coming from.

I miss my Mum soooo much it hurts every day. She got diagnosed with lung cancer and died 12 days later. It has been the worst 5 months of my life. My world has been turned upside down.

Within 5 days of her dying I had pains everywhere in my chest, connvinced myself it was lung cancer, spoke to my Dr and he reassured me and said that most people get these symptoms and oh boy within 3 days I had those instead. (he probably said the wrong thing to me, but he was only trying to help and he is the best Dr ever)

Our minds are very powerful things and then can create all sorts of symptoms pains and goodness knows what else. Well 5 months later all those wicked symptoms have gone and I have found something else to worry about my health totally not to do with lung cancer.

My Dr has told me off for being to hard on myself. He siad why are you expecting to be over loosing you Mum so quickly, it takes a very very long time.

Hugs xxxx

sahara
06-04-09, 18:59
Within 5 days of her dying I had pains everywhere in my chest, connvinced myself it was lung cancer, spoke to my Dr and he reassured me and said that most people get these symptoms and oh boy within 3 days I had those instead.

I meant to say my Dr said you don't get the symptoms I was describing and said if I had lung cancer I would get symptom blah blah instead. So I got those symptoms as well. Hope that makes better sense.

kittykat
06-04-09, 19:37
Thanks for that Sahara, and i'm sorry that you've lost your mum as well not easy, i just wanted a bit piece of mind but i've really not gotten it and feel i've been fobbed off with the prozac,as soon as i told her i was anxious i don''t think she took me seriously she wasn''t even going to examine my boob and underarm.....i mean something is causing the pain, can''t do the cbt because it''s the same therapist and i didn't get on with her that well so don't know if i can try another therapy like a psychologist......next time i'll definately go to my own doctor as he's brill but just wanted an appointment as soon as possible as i was worrying all weekend and guess what i still am x

nic44
07-04-09, 00:01
Hi! Ive had exactly the same symptoms. Had general aches and pains for about 2 months in left boob, tingling arm pit and prominant veins in that boob. Went to the docs last month and she did an exam and said i was fine. Was still concerned though and worried myself sick last week. My partner, in desperation with me, found a breast clinic near us and made me an appointment and I went to see them today. She gave me another exam which was fine and said not to worry about the veins, they were perfectly normal (mine are probably a bit darker than the ones in my hands).
As some other people have said, I was also told that its quite normal to start getting breast pain at this age (Im nearly 33), due to hormones. She said take evening primrose oil (which I have been taking for a couple of weeks now), wear a sleep bra if necessary and avoid too much caffeine. Also she said ill fitting underwired bras can cause this type of pain too (I think Im guilty of this too :S).
Try not to worry, I have made myself so ill worrying about this, yet over the weekend, I was kept busy and the pain isnt nearly as bad now - I cant believe it!!!.
I think I had got to the point were I was so anxious about it that I was literally just sitting and waiting for the pains. It was totally occupying my life. I was even checking my boobs in the mirror about 20 times a day, checking the veins. Ive been to see so many people about this now that Im gonna try to trust them. Ive got to...I want my life back.
I know its hard but try to relax.
xx

smithy431
07-05-09, 14:04
Hi Kittykat
Hope you don't mind me responding.
I've always had problems such as yours (except the veins) especially around the 'time of the month' and a bit after. Badly fitted, especially wired bras do not help! This may sound REALLY weird but I've even read about putting cabbage leaves round the offending area, which I have done myself overnight, and it really DID relieve it for a while. (my husband was ready to have me sectioned though!) When you go through this you try absolutely everything, people have just about convinced me now though that it it hormonal.