PDA

View Full Version : Does anyone think this is a bit dodgy? help!

CJH86
03-04-09, 19:27
Hi, would really really appreciate some opinions of this :)

Im at university and over the xmas holiday period i had a lot of stress with my sister being ill and my nan being committed. I suffered a massive relapse in my panic disorder and anxiety, probably not helped by the stress. Consequently i was on high doses of benzos for a couple of months and barely able to leave the house at times, panic attacks constantly, unable to concentrate, exhausted. The problem was i had some university coursework due in and i handed it in a week late......i did the proper thing by requesting an extension from my personal advisor (who said at the time ok) then sending a medical cert (was signed off for a month) and filling out the correct forms however etc etc

....well this week i found out they had denied my request and i get zero marks in my coursework, obviously i was very upset and baffled as i thought they couldn't say no to a medical cert? :weep:I tried to send an email and sort this out informally but i was told my advisor wouldnt budge on the matter and id have to make a formal appeal i.e. stand up infront of a board of people and explain myself, which will be very upsetting for me...and not good for my anxety!!

Now imagine how i felt when i found out today another girl who had a bad cold was given an extension and another friend of mine was when she didnt even have a med cert (she just emailed and asked for one!)....its kinda starting to make me think as my Dr's Cert was not covering a 'physical' condition i haven't been given any leeway, well thats how it seems:mad:

One more thing, and i did mention this to a fellow anxiety sufferer earlier today who thought this wasnt good (but i didnt read into it at the time)...well last year i was on a smallish dose of diazepam (2mg) to keep me calm and i was told by the same personal advisor (mentoned above) that i shouldnt do my laboratory sessions untill i was off the diazepam due to 'health and safety'?!...although coming to think of it we wern't doing anything that could have been dangerous and i said i wasnt affected by drowsiness:shrug:

Thanks in advance for any thoughts on this, im in an absolute state about it and think it seems really unfair...and way too much extra stress during the exam period x

faith
03-04-09, 20:25
it sounds like it is time for you to go and speak up for yourself and your health problems, it is the best way to sort things out you need to express all your thoughts and feelings to the tutors. similar stuff happened to me many years ago and I just ran away and I think it was the worse thoing I could have done for my self esteem when I thought I was being unfairly treated

Granny Primark
03-04-09, 20:55
I think have been treated unfairly.
I would be so angry if you were my child.
I think you should speak up for yourself.
Once again a physical illness seems to be more important than a mental illness.

CJH86
05-04-09, 14:03
Hi, thanks for the replies....my PD is improving and have finally come off of diazepam. Im pleased to say i feel strong enough to put my point across, i am in no way going to let it slip as i have worked incredibly hard to be where i am now....im a good student and i consistantly get good results for them, thats what makes me especially cross.

My uni faculty really should have known better (i study pharmacy) and they went against my Dr's advice which was for me to delay my deadlines for as long as i needed.

Believe me i would have rather had many colds than go through what i just have.:scared15:

june
05-04-09, 14:52
:hugs: First - write down all your complaint...
Check it through - make sure you have your dates correct.
Can you ask your doc for a copy of the med cert??
Your personal adviser should have helped you through this:blush:
How about the Student Union?
Can you get advice on procedure from them?

I really wish you all the luck in the world to get through this:hugs:
Don't let it stress you out - go at it like an assignment:mad: get the facts and present them CALMLY.
This may well actualy be good for your stress levels ( something to get your teeth into:yesyes: )
Best wishes
June

Allye
05-04-09, 16:41
I would speak to your Student's Union and see whether someone can help you

Take care

Allye

Anxious_gal
05-04-09, 17:44
I feel very much that they are bulling you!
seriously dening you even though you had a medical cert and then letting someone else off because they had a cold.
it's total discrimination!
you should appeal.
it's not fair!

CJH86
07-04-09, 14:22
Hi, thanks for the replies again. Im glad that people seem to agree with me for seeing red on this.

Im going to see somebody about it at the union tomorrow morning for advice on starting the procedure....really nervous about it, fingers crossed! x

june
07-04-09, 15:01
:hugs: Make sure you are prepared and you will not feel so nervous:blush:

Sort all relevant paper work and dates that you can remember (seeing your personal adviser - Date assignment was due - what that ass was!!
Date of your med cert etc)
Above all talk calmly - getting 'het up' does no good:blush:

Your bottles or packets of meds will have dates of issue on them IF they will help then take them as proof that you were on meds as you said!!!!
Best wishes
June