PDA

View Full Version : My Psychiatrist told me......

Georgesmum
03-04-09, 20:56
Hi all, I posted on here over a week ago re: fluoxetine and caffeine. Since I last posted Ive had a nightmare on this medication: anxiety went through the roof: it increased much worse that it had been b4 I went on the meds. I stopped taking fluox Saturday just gone, i couldnt take the side effects any longer! had only been taking it for a few days but whilst on it: crying, shaking, anxiety, drowsey, sick and dizzy. Monday this week i was in such a state, had to call doc, who called out crisis team to support me - saw Psych yesterday - he said that if you have anxiety then you shouldnt be on fluoxetine as it often increases the anxiety more than any of the other meds they can prescribe - and the experience i had on fluox doesnt surprise him - GP's he said need to be very careful what psych drugs they prescribe - told me if you have anxiety/depression or just anxiety then first they should try Citalopram. Anyway, off meds now and having counselling instead but may try meds again soon, gonna see how it goes. Anxiety is worse after fluoxetine! now scared of meds cause of their side effects! Psych said that if you have a prob with side effects they can start with a low dose of meds i.e. 5mg, or 10mg. Good Luck to all, wish you all the best Georgesmum x

homebythefence
04-04-09, 09:23
What was your initial dose?

ElizabethJane
04-04-09, 10:31
To Georgesmum: I have just read your post and I am very sorry that the fluoxetine left you in such a state. I have never been prescribed it but I have heard that it can cause increased anxiety. It is better to have psychiatric drugs prescribed by a psychiatrist in my experience. I am undergoing a change of meds at the moment and have experienced side effects but after two weeks except for the giddiness they have more or less gone. I think that it is good to try a different approach ie the counselling. You might be very sensitive to ssris or just fluoxetine but dont be discouraged about trying other anti ds should you need them in the future. I also think that most people suffer some side effects when they start a new drug. Yours were in the extreme. I hope you feel better soon.

Cat80
04-04-09, 10:57
I have bad anxiety and was prescribed 20mg a day of fluoxetine for it as my Dr said she had had good results with people taking it for anxiety. I'm almost 4 weeks in a feel sick and tired all the time and also really anxious, I am hoping this gets better as can't get an appointment at the Dr's for a couple of weeks.

Rhian_78
04-04-09, 11:40
hiya, i had exactly the same experience in january with paroxetine, i was ill with it and that was only after one tablet!! i am now classed as allergic to anti-depressants, which scares the hell outta me because i can't have beta-blockers either because i am asthmatic, bachs rescue remedy is my best friend!!!

Georgesmum
04-04-09, 15:38
Hi, thanks for your replys: I was on 20mg of fluox............you get sooooo much conflicting advice re: meds........and the anxiety increases the issues 10 fold!!!.........never had anxiety until recently....but boy! I've gained an appreciation towards those I know who've suffered with it. It can be a nightmare!! Georgesmum x

Oceanblue
11-05-09, 10:04
I was prescribed Fluoxetine, Depakote, Risperdone, Diazepam and Sleeping pills by two Psychiatrists afew years back.

I have Bipolar, Anxiety/panic.

Do you think they did the wrong thing?

I'm now going through another stage of illness.

Have recently been referred back to Psychiatrists, and they are slowly sorting out medications, one by one, the most important one I've recently had to take is the anti-Pyschotics, which is different from before. They are deciding on which other ones I should be taking.

Am seeing them later this morning.