PDA

View Full Version : please help!

DURAN GIRL 1970
04-04-09, 18:42
hi all, ive been on escitalopram 5mg since last november, after suffering really bad panic attacks,took a while to bed in after really bad side effects and three months off work.I had breast cancer three years ago, and was doing fine on these tablets, then three weeks ago i had my annual mammogram and after three weeks waiting i assumed everything was ok, i was then called back to have a ultrasound and i convinced myself i was ill again, thankfully all was fine just scar tissue.I had been doing ok till that point, but last wek all th same feelings of anxiety came back, and i felt physically really ill, i feel spaced out, shaky inside and incredibly tired.My doctor has upped my dose to 10mg but i am so scared to increase, i thought id got over the worse.
Ive even changed when i take them, to see if that helps with the mornings as thats when i feel worse(i tend to pick up late afternoon).I need to function as normally as possible for work, and i had months of being stuck in the house when i had chemo, advice please.........:weep:

Southern_Belle
04-04-09, 18:55
Hi Duran Girl,

It is only normal that you would have been scared to have been called back in after suffering with cancer. Heck, I would have been scared without having had cancer. I think you are having what I call a "blip" which is a little setback and you will be fine and the increase in meds will definately help out. It does take a few weeks for the meds to kick in though. Until then, pamper yourself with warm bathes, soothing music and perhaps meditation. I was also wondering if you ever got counseling during your cancer treatment? If not, it might be a good idea. I think you are very courageous and you will get over this setback. I do wish you well and am glad you are here.

Take care,

Laura

DURAN GIRL 1970
04-04-09, 19:25
thanks laura, your words were really kind, im just a bit despondent at the moment, thought i was well on the road to recovery.....

Southern_Belle
04-04-09, 20:14
You will be, I think that phone call just scared you so much and brought back terrible memories which I think is perfectly normal. Take it one step at a time and soon you will be back where you were. Big hugs....

Laura

alias_kev
07-04-09, 22:31
If its at all reassuring 10mg per day is a pretty normal dose, and it can go as high as 20mg per day. There are arguments about whether 20mg is better/stronger but certainly 10mg is the normal theraputic dose. 5mg is usually just an initial dose unless the patient has been higher and is now reducing. See this document section 4.2 (http://emc.medicines.org.uk/medicine/9360/SPC/Cipralex++5%2c+10+and+20+mg+Film-Coated+Tablets+and+10+mg+ml+oral+drops%2c+solution ./)

The document also confirms that it takes 2 to 4 weeks for the medication/benefit to stabilise.

I found that Esc' mainly controlled depression and only took the worse off my anxiety. But I had severe GAD (largely undiagnosed) with some phobias but not panic attacks only attacks of stress & panic.

I have some understanding of how you felt as I've been around people going back for a fuller breast scan. I think this is scarier than it should be since you get a callback if there is any anomaly on the initial screening as its not complete enough to tell what they are seeing. Also my father died last november during a period when I thought I was beginning to make progress. So life really can throw stuff at us.

PS: many of my other posts are about Esc' or my experience of it. So search for it or my posts and there is a fair bit to read.