PDA

View Full Version : Tension/Stress headaches.

agent orange
04-04-09, 19:39
I have been suffering from stiff shoulders and a stiff neck. Can this lead to tension headaches in the top,sides of my head. I seem to also sit at the computer in a tense way too. What I also want to know is this; can this last for weeks etc. I telephoned the doctor who said classic tension headaches and yes it can last for ages. I took nurofen, ibruprofen and it does not appear to have touched it. As I suffer from health anxiety, I am not sure if this is another stress/anxiety thing or something else. I have had it on and off for over a week now, It had gotten slightly better for a few days until today. Does this make sense?
Thanks..

Southern_Belle
04-04-09, 19:45
Hi Agent Orange,

Yes it does. How you set at the computer can tense up your upper body and can cause you horrible tension headaches. I take breaks all the time and stretch. Move your head around, shoulders up and down and also your arms. Also, a good soak in a hot tub can help too. Sometimes if you take too many pain relievers you can suffer rebound headaches that can be even worse. I also suggest you eat often and get out and about. Hope you feel better soon.

Take care,

Laura

agent orange
04-04-09, 19:52
Thanks Belle, I don't sit at the computer all the time, it still persists when I'm doing other things. You are right I am sure about the computer though.

Danny_dingle
04-04-09, 19:57
Hey Agent Orange,

I get this too. What I do is, just before I go to sleep at night, I smother all my shoulders (front and back), the top of my back and my neck with deep freeze (or any muscle pain relief stuff will work) then I lie on my back and put a pillow under each arm to support it, then I go to sleep like that. By the morning it has relieved the tension and that should help the headache too.

Also, hot baths and hot water bottles all help ease any tensed muscles.

Take care, hope you are feeling a bit better soon!

Danny xxx

agent orange
04-04-09, 20:01
Thanks you guys. Why is it that Ibuprofen does not touch it and why is it on the top of head and around my eyes and face etc, it is quite horrible. I have ad eadaches in the past but this last week it has been quite difficult to shift. Oh I'm sure I'm not dying lol.

Danny_dingle
04-04-09, 20:04
I think it is to do with your sinuses, and also because all the areas you just mentioned are the areas where the muscles are in your face. Maybe it is subconscious, but I bet you are tensing your face up at the same time as your neck and shoulders, so that'll be making you get the headaches.

Have you thought about maybe getting a massage? That would help a lot too.

xxx

Southern_Belle
04-04-09, 20:06
Hi again,

I suffer with migraines. Technically they are on one side of your head and usually I get get sick to my stomach. When I was younger I used to see lights going off like someone had just taken my picture. The headache would usually last 3 days. Now since I am older they last around 24 hours to 32. I've had every test known to mankind and they could not find a thing wrong except for allergies, hormones and that the barometric pressure causes them. We are talking 30 years of trying to figure out the cause! :-o I just wanted relief.

If the headaches continue you could have tests done but since you said they are a bit better I would wait and see.

I would do this though:

1) Do the exercises at the computer.

2) Keep a log of foods that you eat, because they could contribute.

3) Sleep a good 8 hrs.

4) See if you get headaches before bad weather.

Also, try anything that will work to relax you. Stress always plays a big part in anyones headache. Good luck.

Laura

Southern_Belle
04-04-09, 20:08
I agree it could be your sinuses, they are horrible too. If you press on your face around your eyes and about half way down your face and it hurts it could be a sinus infection. I would go to your GP at that point.

Laura

Rhian_78
04-04-09, 20:10
i get the same symptoms, i've even had antibitoics for sinusinits, which when i look back were all tension headaches, right across my forehead, side of my face, into my ears and behind, like a band. ibuprofen doens't touch them, neither does paracetamol, or co-codamol, so now when i get them, i try and change my posture, use a wheat bag on my neck and do some general relaxing exercises, i didnt realise until i found this site, jssut how many symptoms are stress related, and to be hoenst, the reassurance i have had from here, has helped my symptoms only in the last few days

hugs to you

Rhian xxx

agent orange
04-04-09, 20:14
I do suffer from sinus problems but not sinusitus very often. I think it could be a combination of stress/tension and sinus/allergy. If it was sinus, the pain I'm sure would not be on the top of my head? I have discomfort/pain around my eyes, temples and top, unless this is referred pain?? I do however suffer from a post nasal drip (where mucus flows down my throat from the sinus) Sorry. Also my ears pop a lot too? But I could also suffer from tension because of my neck and shoulders...

Southern_Belle
04-04-09, 20:17
A good trick to find out if it is only sinuses is to put a cloth as hot as you can stand it on your face and it will break it up. Or boil some water on the stove and put a towel over your head around the heated water (careful about this one though)! My point is to clear your sinuses, then if the pain eases up it is definately a sinus problem.

Laura

agent orange
04-04-09, 20:19
Can you have sinus problems without sinusitus?

Southern_Belle
04-04-09, 23:43
I would think so due to allergies. Not all sinus problems lead to infections. Again, I'm no doctor but my doctor always told me that you know it is a sinus infection if the mucus is green or yellow and of course if you are running a fever. Now, if you have any doubts regarding any of this I would just go to your GP for a checkup and see if it is your sinuses or allergies, both of which they can medicate. I do hope you feel better soon, I know how bad those headaches can be.

Best wishes,

Laura

Rhian_78
05-04-09, 02:51
hi, i am a nurse, i also have sinus problems and tension headaches

it is possible o ahve sinus problems wihout sinusitis, its actually called chronic sinusitis, especially with the post nasal dripu describe.

its worth getting cheked out, my cheek bones can also hurt at times

sorry for rubbish spelling, typing in the dark, lol

agent orange
05-04-09, 10:38
Thanks folks. I think it's a combi problem. I always have mucus which is clear or white, I have a lot of it after I have eaten dairy, especially chocolate. My wife thinks I have an allergy and but the doctors surgery do not test for such allegies. Perhaps I need to go to a homeopath to check this out. The headaches are not so bad that I cannot function, they're low grade and the pain is definately around the sinus, below the eyes and behind etc. I did go to ENT and they found no problems with those sinuses when they inserted a camera into the cavities. It also affects my balance too, (I never fall over or fall off my bycyle lol). Other problems are that I feel like I am in a goldfish bowl and when I stand the blood whoozes through my head and I can feel slightly dizzy. Now I have had an MRI to check for stuff and it was all negative, but it pinpointed problems with the sinuses, but on checking as I said earlier there was no problem found, i.e polyps, tumours etc. possible. I have not steamed very much as it is such a pain. Does this make sense?

viremarthius
06-04-09, 00:25
My doctor told me that 95% of headaches are caused by your neck/shoulders. I used to be crippled by tension headaches due to anxiety, but going to a deep tissue massage really really helped. It took a few sessions but by the fifth or sixth one my headaches slowly disappeared. You should give it shot.