PDA

View Full Version : google experts advice on a real symptom!

redballoons
04-04-09, 20:24
hi
my sister went to the optician today and he reffered her to the hospital because she has blood vessels growing in the retina of her eyes (?!) he said it is unusual at her age but didnt say anything else and she is too shy to ask questions!

she is only 23 so does anyonw know what this could mean?

I know its not anxiety related but i just wondered if anyone had any clue what this is here!

sophie

countrygirl
04-04-09, 20:40
I only know one cause but I bet there are lots of others hopefully not serious. Is she a diabetic by any chance as diabetic retinopathy is where extra blood vessels grow on the retina due to high sugar levels and often affects type 1 diabetics - my cousin has it and has had laser treatment for this a couple of times - sucessfully I hasten to add and no threat to her sight.

Whatever the cause they usually use laser treatment to get rid of them to stop any loss of sight.

As I say there must be lots of causes but the main thing is that it is treatable.

redballoons
04-04-09, 20:42
hi

she is not diabetic but my mother had type one diabetes - dont know if that is relavant or not!

she has had a number of problems with her eyes the last few years including ulcers on the surface of her eye which has scared it. she doesnt have much luck with her eyes!

sophie