PDA

View Full Version : I want to come off fluoxetine

cookyfemale
05-04-09, 23:31
I have been taking Fluoxetine for the past 9 years and would love to come off them as i think they are not helping my anxiety. I can cope with my panic attacks loads better now, i just want to live my life with out all these other side effects i get from taking this, like, the shakes, heartburn, low sex drive, being very indecisive, not really careing about things, waking up through the night with a racing heart and no energy. What i want to know is how do i do that, i know you have to start taking the meds one day then miss the next but i dont know anymore after that. Do I really need to see my doc about this?

deb141
07-04-09, 21:42
Hi

I have previously been on this drug twice and successfully weaned myself off them. I took one every other day for a few weeks, then cut to 1 every 3 days and so on til i was only taking 1 a week. It took a long time but i wanted to make sure i had no withdrawals. I felt no side effects coming off them at all. I did not ask my doctor for advice i just did it, but i am not saying this is what you should do, its your decision. Good luck

eurotrashcub
07-04-09, 22:07
Hello

I think that after such a long time, the best thing you can do is to speak to your doctor and wean slowly, otherwise you might get your symptoms back.

I would take it easy and spend a few months weaning instead of doing it abruptly.

I Have heard that taking it one day on and one off is meant to be bad for you as the levels of serotonin in your brain fluctuate too much, but then I am not a doctor...

I think it is better is you seek proper advice though.

Take care

dawnt
11-04-09, 11:10
Hi I have been on fluoxetine for just over six months. I too was fed up with the unwanted side effects, so I just stopped taking them. I dont know if this is right or wrong but I havent taken one since last monday, so five days, and have no side effects at all. I was pretty rough for over a week when I started on them so dreaded coming off. I wish now I had done it sooner I am going to try no meds and just try and get through this, well time will tell.....

leah2283
04-04-10, 22:42
i haven't been on flouxetine all that long only since the 4th dec 09 but i have decided that i don't want to take them anymore i read a lot on line about natural anti depressents so i bought some vitamin b12 and have for the past weeks mixed them on an every other day basis this past week i have taken the b12 4 times twice the tablets one day without either, and so far so good, i don't want to be dependent on them and since i found out they are prozac i really fear them, i don't know if i am doing it right but this week i am attempting to not take flouxetine at all.