PDA

View Full Version : nausea and nightmares

LittleWing
06-04-09, 08:10
I'm under a lot of stress at the moment with university studies and I feel like I can't cope.

Last year it was even worse - now I'm in my final year, I only have 2 months left and I just want to get through it sane. I don't care about my results, I just need to complete things on time, and get through it without going crazy like I did last year.

Talking about it makes me feel better.

Last year I thought I may not come out of the whole thing alive, I felt so alone. This year I have an amazing boyfriend - he's my best friend and the most supportive person, but he can never really know what it's like, and I don't want to rely on him too much otherwise I'll feel incapable of doing it myself.

I often get very nauseous, I have bad dreams and they follow me through the day - everything looks so ugly, everything seems like a nightmare, even simple, happy things like sitcoms... I don't know if this sounds strange. It's like everything is tainted, or covered over with a grey cloud - I'm always left with the feeling that something terrible is about to happen. I'm *so* scared when this happens - I'm worried I'll lose myself, I'll lose control, and I start shutting people out - I feel like no one can understand me and I don't want to bring anyone down.

I take rescue remedy throughout the day, so far it's helped to a certain extent. I found some that works in the night-time, and many times it's helped me with my nightmares.

I just need to get through this until the 21st May - that's my last exam. I know I can do it, I guess - if anyone has any tips or similar experiences I'd really appreciate knowing what you did to get yourself through it. How do you cope when you know you have to switch off your feelings - to a certain extent - in order to get tasks done?

I'm losing the ability to do simple things again, like going to the bank, or the supermarket, taking care of how I look or doing my laundry. Getting into the shower feels like it needs a half an hour plan...

I'm scared it will get worse.
Please help if you have any ideas - I'm sorry this is so long...

Allye
06-04-09, 09:35
Hi Littlewing

My thoughts:

1. Go and see your GP for a chat
2. See if your university does counselling (I know my student union could organise something but that was a while ago)
3. Try some relaxation CDs at night - I found Glen Harold's CDs very good. I was very sceptical but I tried one when I was at the peak of my PAs and not sleeping or having nightmares. I stuck it on thinking "this won't work" and then woke up an hour later - and that was during the day!!

Remember that exams are stressful for everyone - so you are probably not as alone as you think

Take care

Allye x

LittleWing
06-04-09, 19:39
Thanks - I appreciate your advice - I'll try out the CD.
LW xx

NoPoet
06-04-09, 22:36
Hi Littlewing

Sounds like you are stress-prone and you're under a horrendous amount of pressure at the moment. You need to take a step back from it as you are being flattened under its weight and it is shutting you down.

Spend time with your boyfriend. Go out for the day one weekend, just wander round doing window shopping or walking in the countryside. Your uni pressures can wait, you are entitled to a day off now and then!

You could use the old "rocks in a rucksack" cliche cos it works. Every problem, every item of stress, is a rock in your backpack. Take the backpack off now and then. You don't need to carry it everywhere.

Good luck with your exams. I'm sure you will do fine :)