PDA

View Full Version : alternatives to diazepam?

dange
06-04-09, 10:48
Hi guys, i suffer from ocd which has recently been playing up and now i get extremely anxious and panicky around my boyfriend as im afraid i will say things that will destroy our relationship. The doc has given me diaz which seems to be working but i cant be on it forever. are there any alternatives that are just as effective but not as addictive? i started taking citalopram a week ago and am waiting for that to kick in as well

Dange xxx

CJH86
06-04-09, 11:18
There are not really non-addictive alternatives in terms of something with the same effects as diazepam sadly (we'd all be jumping for joy if there was). For me personally diazepam was very effective when i was having anxiety and obsessive thoughts about my health (i was on it for a long time), but i came to the decison that wanted to stop taking it as i could see my addictive traits coming through.

Once the citalopram kicks in the anxiety and obsessive thoughts should start becoming less and less frequent, intially it may be making your symptoms worse and that is probably why the Dr has given you diazepam. Hang in there and hopefully things should improve as citalopram can take 2-4 weeks to kick in. Hope things start looking up x

alias_kev
07-04-09, 21:20
I've just started on Buspirone, which doesn't get mentioned very often. Too soon to say if its doing any good although nothing is worse than with my previous Escitalopram (same or better than Citalopram). A few lesser sideeffects feel improved as I come off the Esc'. I'm not too clear on its specific benefits for OCD (if any). I did notice the other day that Fluoxetine does list itself as especially useful for OCD (but not for GAD which the GP offered it to me for!)

Anyway the profile of Buspirone says that its medium to long term benefits are similar to the various 'Azepams BUT that it is not addictive or dependancy inducing. Its main limitations are that it is like an SSRI in taking about 14 days to get the benefits going and as its chemical effects are different from diazepam it doesn't help those withdrawing from 'azepams. The greatest benefit & problem with diazpam appears to me to be the almost instant aid that it offers. Pop a pill feel a lot better within an hour. Obviously thats a great help to someone in a crisis or in a temporary problem (eg. bereavement) but its well easy to get dependant and also addicted to that easy high. Anxiety induces avoidance patterns in our behavour and the 'azepams feed straight into that.

There are only a few posts about Buspirone in the forums so I've started a thread about moving to it. I'm updating that like a diary so others can know the ups & downs.

If its not prying does the OCD actually make you sad bad/upsetting things (as with Tourettes) or are you just (!) anxious that you might lose your boyfriend. Or are yu worried he won't be able to live with your OCD or anxiety. Fear of relationship loss is a pretty common emotion even amongst those who have no other anxiety traits. Its obviously pretty horrible if the thing you value and which you fear losing makes your feel terrified.

I know some people actually end relationships to get it over with because they are so convinced it will end, or keep their partner at arms length so it won't hurt so much later. None of those behavours is a way to have a happy time or keep the partner and are rather irrational (in the CBT sense). After all very few of us would avoid eating an icecream because it won't last forever. Sorry, I know that's a trivial example but avoiding happyness incase we feel unhappy later is a pretty unpleasant way of life.

I'm not saying that to have a go at you or upset you. I just want you to realise that if you really like this guy, and he's worth keeping (and if he's up to coping with you), you need to keep fighting your anxieties and hang on to him. Don't let the illness win. :hugs:

eurotrashcub
07-04-09, 22:01
Hello

Once the citalopram kicks in, you will notice you are clamer and you can stop taking teh diazepam.

I find large doses of valerian root quite effective as well. DO some research on the maximum amount you can take as in order for it to induce real anxyolitic effects, you need to take quite a bit. But it is safe and with no side effects (apart from an upset stomach if you take it without any food)

Good luck

dange
09-04-09, 19:37
My boyfriend is definitely a keeper, he knows about my ocd (mainly to harm myself) and has always been supportive even if he doesnt understand. its just my ocd has been making me want to blurt out stupid mistakes that i made in the past when i wasnt as happy in the relationship as i am now. I really like the guy, which is why i am so panicky!:hugs:

alias_kev
10-04-09, 00:16
My boyfriend is definitely a keeper, he knows about my ocd (mainly to harm myself) and has always been supportive even if he doesnt understand. its just my ocd has been making me want to blurt out stupid mistakes that i made in the past when i wasnt as happy in the relationship as i am now. I really like the guy, which is why i am so panicky!:hugs:
He sounds great! :yesyes:

I guess it depends what the mistakes were and how he might react to them. Secrets are not always a good thing but it could just be the OCD trying to find ways to harm the relationship. Kind of emotional rather than physical self harm.

You might be able to find some middle ground and share with him how worried you are that he'll reject you over mistakes you've made in the past, BUT WITHOUT BLURTING details yet!!! That might defuse some of your anxiety without letting the OCD win. ((But I'm only guessing and that's untrained advice.)) If he's coping with you and your OCD then he might be able to understand that without undermining your relationship. You could then have a pact about FUTURE mistakes and let the past take care of itself. If your illness truly led to the mistakes then you cannot have all the blame for them especially if you trying to get weller and do better.

On the general understanding side there are good information pages here (off the menu to the left http://www.nomorepanic.co.uk/NMPcms.php?nmppage=ocd) and at other places such as http://www.anxietycare.org.uk/docs/ocd.asp . It may help you and him to read some together. A sufferer does better with a supporter and the more they can both understand about the illness the better, in my view. It could help him understand you, your illness, etc better which is important.

Take Care.