PDA

View Full Version : Will this happen AGAIN!

Steph
23-06-03, 14:39
Hi :(
I am so pleased I have found this website!!
I have just had my first panic attack (SAT morn 3.30am 21st June) I had been out for the night with the girls....had lots to drink and also we had been smoking some puff - I have been doing this for years with no signs of PA! So I went to bed at about 2am i felt soooo relaxed and calm and then my boyfriend said he was talking to me and I was just looking through him he tried to move me but I was a dead weight, then I remember sitting bolt upright and with the most awful pain down my left arm - so now I think Im having a heart attack!! I suffer with peanut allergy too, so luckily I remembered to deep breath - but now my chest is going very tight and around my back too...then I start feeling like im going to pass out, and then that leads me to thinking if I pass out Im going to die!!! My boyfriend got on the phone and dialed 999 and he told them I was having a heart attack, and was getting advice from the telephonist on what to do in this case!! I then told my boyfriend I loved him coz I'm thinking that im gonna die- it all sounds very dramatic I know, but I was so scared!! The paramedics came and explained to me I was having a PA (so now I felt really silly!!) I had an ECG done anyway to check it was a PA..But then I couldn't get the events out of my head, so I didn't fall to sleep until 6.30am!!! Now I am v worried about this what causes them - I don't really have any stress in my life that I can say would make this happen...would it be smoking puff or drinking that caused it??? I am a very hyper person always active ( I don't think I had a lot of sleep the night b4 about 4hrs) on the other hand my boyfriend is a very stressful person so maybe that rubs of on me I can't make it out !! especially as I was sooooo calm b4 it all happened...will I get more too this is really worrying me - Does anyone have any answers??
Thanks Steph

SD

Elizabeth
23-06-03, 15:22
Hi Steph,
I would make an appointment to see your GP if you have not alreadu done so.
My attacks started back in January and I thought I could cope on my own, I lasted until March by which time they had taken control over me and had stopped me doing everything I use to love.
He prescribed me beta blockers and arranged for me to see a psycologist. The psycologist has been a great help, he explained why they happen, that the symptoms I get are not life threatening and nothing bad would happen to me as a result.
Despite all this the attacks still shake me but I am slowly beginning to understand them and not fear them quite so much.
I have found what gets me now is the anxiety of having another attack which in itself can cause the symptoms of the panic attacks.
What I would say to you is not to stop doing the usual things, like going out, shopping or to work, this was my big mistake and trust me it is alot harder to start doing these things again than it would have been to go out in the first place. The fear of having an attack in public and losing control is high but what I do when I am out is look for people who if I needed them to would help me , eg a shop assistant, work colleague. By telling myself this when I go in it reassures me, Three months later I have never had to ask for help from anyone and everyone is oblivious.
Hope this helps in some way
Let me know how you get on
Elizabeth:)

Steph
23-06-03, 16:21
Thanks Elizabeth,Do you really think there is a good chance then that I will have more PA??? then....Can it not just be a one off??? Am I in Denial??

Steph

SD

smudga
24-06-03, 05:24
Howdy yawl!! Elizabeth you could well have just the one panic attack and that's it. That happens to some. No one knows for sure why people get panic attacks. Some say it's to do with a chemical imbalance in the brain or someut, which I think basically means people are born with this imbalance. Others say it's to do with our llifestyle.

Even if u were to have another attack u know they are harmless. Nothing ever comes of them. As Elizabeth said, don't stop enjoying yourself etc. if you did happen to get another one. I don't let them get in the way of my lifestyle.

You weren't silly for thinking u were having a heart attack and having people come check on you. Plenty of others have done the exact same thing.

Later, John

nomorepanic
02-07-03, 23:11
Hi Steph - my first panic attack happened after a heavy night boozing so I guess it was similar to yours.

I left my panic too long and then it got worse so don't keep thinking about the next attack but if you have one then go to the docs and get help straight away.

I ended up seeing the emergency doc only two weekends ago cos I got panicky and then couldn't breathe etc. He patted me on the head and said "you will be fine - just go home and relax". I did feel stupid but I also needed to be told that I was ok.

Stick with it - hope it gets better for you.

Nicola

Shelley
11-07-03, 09:49
I think the worst thing about it all are the avoidance habbits we all have - best advice is what smudga gave...just get on with it and dont let it take over your life....wish someone would have given me the same advice

x Shell

Shell

Joanne
12-07-03, 01:21
best advice is what smudga gave...just get on with it and dont let it take over your life....

Exactly- don't I know it! But easier said than done. My anxiety takes over a simple task like queuing up for stamps- I know I shouldn't be so silly- but I cant shake it of.
Because I think and analyse everything i do- I can't be so happy go lucky. I'd give £1 m to be like that.

bishop
12-07-03, 10:12
the best advise is what smudge gave,take one step at a time,you are in control but i also know that is not easy,don t rush ,one day at a time take it easy and good luck

Steph
14-07-03, 08:50
Well just thought I'd let you all know that I have had another PA yesterday, Sunday, I have a severe food allergy to nuts and some fruits and I have to carry an epipen (injection of adrenalin) around with me just in case! Anyway I felt a bit strange eating my fetta cheese salad and started to think that I had eating something that was gonna start of my allergy reaction, so I was trying to be calm I went upstairs started to feel faint couldn't breath felt really tingly all over, I tried to shout to my boyfriend but of course he couldn't hear me, then I came back downstairs and got my injection out and gave it to him to administer! WELL he completely messed it up the liquid came spurting out of the injection all over the settee - so now I panic more !! We both got into the car to go to hospital (coz I'm still thinking I am having an allergic reaction!) So after about 5 mins in the car I realise that Im not having an allergic reaction as I am getting no other symptoms for this, but have in fact just had my second PA! I felt like a fool..... and am really upset about it.,.. I have booked an appointment at the doctors so do you think I should just suggest to get counselling or to get some sort of medication!??

SD

Steph
14-07-03, 08:52
Sorry I forgot to add that I had been drinking the night before and had, had a few too many, would this be anything to do with why I got this PA?

SD

Shelley
14-07-03, 08:57
If you're not feeling constantly anxious and the panic attacks are infrequent...I'd ask for councelling...try and find out why this has started happening..drugs just mask the problem, you're at the beginning of it all, it's the best time to get it sorted out....dont let your doctor fob you off with antidressants or other such drugs and if he offers to Seroxat also know as Peroxatine...dont take it, if he does try and offer you medication...ask questions...is this habbit forming, are there any side effects, would there be withdrawal symptoms when I dod stop taking it..

Shell

Shelley
14-07-03, 09:01
I feel quite sh*ty the day after a boozy sesh...but have started taking Mega B complex - it's good for the nervous system and this weekend I have felt a lot better then normal - but yes is the answer drinking does make it worse

Shell

Stiki
15-07-03, 11:15
Steph,

Yes I always feel worse after a bit of a session drinking. It's obvious really as it lowers all your defences. I normally have an upset tummy if I drink too much and as a PA is based on the fight or flight thing then your body tries to empty itself, pumps all that adrenalin which pushes the blood pressure up, you feel dizzy because the alcohol (which is still in your system for at least 8 hours depending on the quantity consumed!!) is suddenly pushed all round your body and then you get the shakes, feel sick etc.

What you have to hold onto at the beginning of experiencing PA's is that it is only your mind playing tricks on your body. The symptoms are definately real and you're not imagining anything but your brain locks onto something and starts your body rebelling! It's just chemicals going wild in your brain and you have already messed with the chemicals by drinking so much.

What I do if I want a bit of a session is the following day I do nothing. Rest, curl up on the sofa, watch telly and pile gallons of water down my neck. You have to eat too, just keep it plain and simple and hopefully the PA's wont take hold.

If one starts again then start reading something, anything! Do the alphabet game like Countries - A is for Argentina, B is for Belgium - make it difficult for yourself so your brain has to work hard and it will help distract it.

The problem is your brain is habit forming and once the PA's take a hold it takes a lot of will power and control to retrain it and stop it from reacting incorrectly.

Just take it easy, rest up after going out (and before you go to bed drink at least 2 pints of water) it's the wisest thing to do.......... honest. (Apart from not drinking!! but we all want some fun now and again)

Don't worry

Stiki

Steph
15-07-03, 11:57
Thanks for your advice everyone I will let you know after tomorrow how I got on at the Docs - AND I am def not going to be palmed off with tablets! x

SD

Steph
17-07-03, 15:34
Hi
I went to the Doctors yesterday and your right he did try to put me tablets but not anti-depressants, he said that the tablets he was going to suggest are ones that you take when you have the PA (don't know what they are) but I refused, so anyway he has put me forward for councelling but I won't get the appointment for a couple of week (at least it's a start) He also advised me to carry a paper bag around with me to breath in (which I have heard before actually)
I must say though he was very good and supplied me with lot of information (but I had already got it from you guys anyway) HE also advised me to mention to my partner that he needs to re-assure me when Im having a PA that it's all ok etc... So had a chat with my partner last night and he was very good about it all phewwww!!
Anyway thanks everyone
Steph

SD

Shelley
17-07-03, 16:31
HI Steph

I went for hypnotherapy last night and it was great, but one thing she did tell me is that breathing through your mouth really helps when the anxiety starts (that bit before the panic sets in), well today at an interview I did it and guess what...it works, apparently you're body cannot tense when you breath through your mouth and the best of it is, coz I didnt freak out at the interview I haven't felt anxious all day.

It's great to hear that your partner was cool about it all, mine is pretty clueless and not really been too supportive - dont get me wrong he hasnt been horrid about it, he just hasnt been the one I have wanted to call when I have felt the onslaught!

Keep thinking positive Steph and you're half way there.

x Shell

Shell

nomorepanic
17-07-03, 22:23
Steph - I have had a paper bag in my handbag for over 9 years - lol. It has holes and all sorts in it so would never work but you just don't get decent paper bags anywhere nowadays - lol

Hope the counselling goes ok

Nic

Steph
18-07-03, 12:05
Shelley
I have yet to see if my partner will be ok - its all just talk at the moment... I kinda feel that if I was out on my own I wouldn't call him to be honset, I am very lucky that I do have a very supportive sister so she would be the first person to call...
So who advised you on hypnotherapy then? What do they actually do in the session?
Also do you know what they will do at my councelling session??? x

SD

Steph
18-07-03, 12:06
Nic

So have you actually used the bag?? - does it really help?

SD

Shelley
18-07-03, 15:00
Hi Steph

First off - councelling I cant give advice on - I have only the initial interview which basically consists of speaking to a Psychotherapist to find out if I am eligable for councelling or CBT waiting lists being what they are on my side of town means that I'll have to wait anyting from 6 months to 9 months bit of a pain, thats why I have gone for the hypnotherapy - the woman I saw was wonderful - its not a wonder cure but it's a step in the right direction - I have used hypnotherapy for smoking (giving up that is) so have actually tried it before....I know that people in here will say it's easy to say "just get on with things or confront it head on" at the moment you have only had two..it gets hard the more you have not easier..you need to take a really strong attitude of THIS IS NOT GOING TO BECOME PART OF MY LIFE YOU CAN **** OFF IF YOU THINK THAT YOU ARE...I had no idea what was happening to me at the time and I didnt discover this site until I had been suffering for nearly 2 years, I'm almost sure that if I had I wouldn't suffering now.

I'm lucky that I have a good friends that I can ring and understand...can you believe my mate D got child locks on her car so I would feel safe...lol

Do you actually know what started the PA...have a think and if you can pin point it, it will be easier for a hypnotherapist to pin point and work with.

OMG this was a bit long winded...too long at the pub at lunch time..oh well it is friday...hope

xx have a lovely PA free weekend

Shell

nomorepanic
18-07-03, 21:50
Steph - I used to use it - I always forget nowadays - but yes it does help.

Even if you don't use it, it is kinda like a security blanket.

Nic

Jo
21-07-03, 16:03
Hi Steph - sorry I haven't replied! If you are interested in counselling or C.B.T, have a look at the forumn entitled 'anxiety managment', which gives people an insight into what happens in a C.B.T session. I am attending a group in my area, so I thought it would be helpful for others to provide a diary of each meeting (Sarah has also provided a diary).

I too, like Nic, carried a "panic pack" (I used to rely on it a lot at the beginning, not so much now) which included: a brown paper bag, a few sweeties, a little book entitled "Don't Panic" by Eve Russell, and a small bottle of rescue remedy - the stuff you pop on your tounge. It was definately my security blanket!

Jo x

Steph
22-07-03, 14:53
Well I am now on my third PA guys!!! Just had one in Marks & Spencers at Marble Arch !! BUT I must say it wasn't as bad as the other two.... I remembered all the advice, so I started thinking about something else and got on the phone to my sister, who made me chat about other stuff!
I started to get a funny feeling in my nose first of all then the normal stuff happened felt like I was gonna faint and very breathless! It was horrible... anyway don't want to think about it for the rest of the day just in case it happens again! But at least I controlled it better this time.
Sx

SD

Shelley
22-07-03, 16:07
Well done Steph you managed to control it...rather than let it take a hold - you did all the right things!!! - and next time you start to feel it you'll do what you did today but at the earliest stages

Once again well done!

x

Shell

Meg
22-07-03, 17:47
Hi Steph,

Well managed indeed..Keep going - it gets easier

Did you manage to catch the thoughts/images you were having seconds before any symptoms hit you ?:)

Steph
23-07-03, 12:46
Radar not too sure what you mean, but I did like I said felt my nose getting really itchy and my heart started pounding!! everything seemed to be getting really busy around me (but I don't think it was)
What is it you exactly mean like did I get hallucinations or anything???
Im not gonna let it bother me one bit I will still go out shopping You see Im not an anxious person or a quiet person, in fact I am very confident, this is why I find it so hard to take in that I get these PA's.......;)
Thanks for your encouragement Shelley, you know what it's down to you lot really coz I wouldn't have had a clue on what do if you lot hadn't of told me - so thanks again x

SD

Meg
23-07-03, 13:43
Many times there is a thought that pops through your mind just before the symptoms start. Not a hallucination or anything like that but often a real thought of self doubt/ self preservation. Like Shelley said earlier , can you pinpoint.... what it was in M+S that scared you - either something you saw , something you thought. One for me was always - what if - I get trapped in the loo.. dressing room --escalator etc.

The sooner you can idenify what it is that pushes your adrenaline button the easier it will be to deal with it.

Confidence is wonderful to have and will give you the drive to beat this condition quicker but often confident people still have inner doubts and fears which they rationalize very well usually. Give it a ponder and see if you can recall anything.

Steph
24-07-03, 14:43
No sorry I can't think of anything that triggered it of - only that I had the weirdest sensation in my nose !! Sounds funny don't it?? I shall try and make myself aware next time......
I understand what you’re saying about the confidence bit totally too.... If you don't mind me asking but you seem very knowledgeable about all this sort of stuff are you in the medical/counselling profession or something similar?
;)

SD

Meg
24-07-03, 16:17
Hi Steph,

Well, I'm a registered nurse who's had panic and anxiety myself.

I've been pretty much completely over it for a period of time now but as I'm really open about it I've had no end of people referred to me from work and my local area and increasingly through others by phone, so I seem to have an involuntary vocational practice going on in my spare time. I do have a counselling qualification that I did way back, but do not intend to have a change of career as such, as I now work happily in research.

Recently , some of these people I help have asked me to put together some fact sheets/ self help guides, so as part of my latest research project/course I am trying to gather the extent of what's out there and what is needed in that vein.

Thus my questionnaire that Nic so kindly agreed to put up on the site - incidentally - I'd love a completed one from you !!! [8D]

I hope that answers your question ?

Steph
31-07-03, 12:51
Radar
Thanks for that... I knew you knew your stuff!
I have filled out your questionnare...
I still haven't got an appointment yet for counselling suppose they must have lots of others to see so I will hang in there and wait... Had a little PA the other day at work - but it didn't progress into a full blown PA like the others... I was wondering maybe it was because my subconcious mind was telling me no this is not gonna happen here!!
Also had far too much to drink on Friday night [xx(]and felt fine the next day no PA !! So it maybe not the drinking that brings mine on?
Stephx

lou lou
17-07-08, 18:29
Hi your experience sounds very very similar to mine, i had been out the night before & had had a lot to drink, i was fine all day when i suddenly got palpitations, then i started to panic & got tingling in both my hands so i was panicking even more so my mum called an ambulance, who did an ECG & said i was fine but my pulse was 147 so tried to calm me down & gave me oxygen, i overheard one of the paramedics say that i had something called SVT i just assumed that this was something like a heart attack, & this played on my mind for nearly 2 years, i finally got told not long ago that SVT simply means a fast heart beat & nothing more & that thousands of people have the same thing.
I haven't had another attack like that one, i have developed panic attacks though which i (in a way) hope is post natal depression, i say i hope because the thought of living like this makes me feel even worse!
Good luck i'm sure you'll be fine!
Lou
xx

wendyj5
17-07-08, 18:48
Sounds like you are having anticipatory attacks. I have them as well. If I sit here and dwell on the last attack or any for that matter I will throw myself right into another attack. If you are finding it hard not to think about it then you may need to go see a Dr or a therapist to see about some meds that will help you get through until you have time to understand exactly what panic attacks are and realize that yes they are scarey, but that can't kill you. But it is very important not to stop your activities, try your best to go on doing everyday things just like you normally would.