PDA

View Full Version : Help please...cipralex to citalopram to cipralex again

MamaCass
06-04-09, 12:50
Hi all,

I have been on Cipralex for a number of years and although ive had hard times i was feeling much better in myself.

I had a job in a nursery which proved to be very very stressfull for me and i have my wedding this July. Today I had to give up my job and now im at bottom again.

I went to the docs about 12 days ago and she said i looked stressed so she said she will try me on citalopram...i hated it was on it for a week and now im back to Cipralex. Im feeling anxious, worried, sick, not sleeping ect.

Could this be due to the side effects again or just down to the excessive worry, stress. Any advice would be greatly appreciated. Thanks.

leesavee
06-04-09, 17:01
hi there...
i originally started on citalopram and now on cipralex..the first week on citalopram was hell for me..but when i changed to cipralex a week ago i havent had any side efects and feeling the cipralex work much better for me.maybe the cipralex works better with you
take care

bab
07-04-09, 13:51
what does of citalopram were you put on? cipralex is more potent so if you were on 10mg of cipralex and you were put on 10mg of citalopram you were maybe feeling withdrawals? i would say from experience that cipralex is a better drug than citalopram as its pretty much the same but fewer side effects so if that doesnt work for you, maybe try a different one altogether

MamaCass
07-04-09, 14:29
Thanks for the reply, ive been on cipralex since october 06 an it was only 25th march this year the doc changed it to citalopram 20mg, i took them for 8 days but didnt like them so now im back on 10mg Cipralex.

Just tired and feeling generally exhausted.

alias_kev
07-04-09, 21:35
Most of the writeups I've seen for both citalopram and escitalopram talk about them having atleast a 2 week period for taking or losing affect. So if you took the citalopram for 8 days you probably got into the worst part of the differences between both drugs. You got 8 days of sideeffects into citalopram and so I reckon you've got as long to flush it completely out of the your system. But thats only a guess.

They talk about these having a half life of about 36 hours for the active part of the medication. So the blood level halves every 36 hours. Some medicine writeups admit that these sorts of drugs can effect the brain for a different period than the apparent blood/body levels. eg. I've just started buspirone and the writeups explicitly state that the active chemical process and its half life appears to be very different from the apparent biological levels. Its very different from the SSRIs you mentioned BUT does show that anything is possible.

MamaCass
07-04-09, 21:49
Thankyou for your reply :D