PDA

View Full Version : Low iron levels a link with anxiety??

tizwiz
06-04-09, 18:18
Hi Everyone
I was just wondering I have very low iron levels and have had on and off for years. The GP has never been able to tell me why - but I have often wondered if it is linked to the anxiety/depression in some way because the lower the iron level the lower my mood. I've talked to loads of people over the years that have suffered with anxiety problems and alot of them have problems with iron levels also. Its a bit like the chicken and the egg thing - was it the anxiety that came first, or the iron problems.:unsure:
Please let me know if anyone else has had similar problems. As I would love to find out why this is happening.
Thanks

fed up with it
06-04-09, 18:29
Hi i am debating this one too, actually at the moment i am very low and i am scared to take iron as i had some itching on my leg and my fear is allergic reactions. I am experiencing low mood, anxiety and now unreality type feelings that i cant get rid of. Also do you have a dread of things like mine is the future at the moment.

Southern_Belle
06-04-09, 18:38
Hi,

I have also been anemic throughout my life for unknown reasons. The last time it was so bad if my numbers had been a point lower I would have had to have a blood transfusion. I ultimately had to take liquid iron for over a year and see a Hematologist. I never saw any difference in my anxiety. I will say though I do have a thyroid issue which makes my anxiety levels up and down too so perhaps that is why. The iron deficiency made me very very tired and worn down and prone to getting colds and most anything that was around. I hope you both get better soon.

Take care,

Laura

tizwiz
06-04-09, 18:55
Hi i am debating this one too, actually at the moment i am very low and i am scared to take iron as i had some itching on my leg and my fear is allergic reactions. I am experiencing low mood, anxiety and now unreality type feelings that i cant get rid of. Also do you have a dread of things like mine is the future at the moment.

Hi Carol
Wow that was quick.Thanks for your reply I too hate taking iron as it makes me feel sick and my stomach bubbles all the time. Im not sticking to taking it very well for this reason altough I do try when Im feeling brave:blush: The GP told me I must take more vitamin C as this helps the body absorb the iron I can do that by drinking orange juice so thats not a problem lol.
And yes I do have a dread of bad things happening most days and I do have that horrible unreality feeling, my mood is very low at the moment and the anxiety is through the roof. Also I have weird and unsettling dreams every night. I intend to see if I can find out more about this iron thing and I will keep you posted.
By the way if you are afraid of iron side effects you can buy a liquid form from health shops and chemists that is less likely to cause you any side effects. If your'e anything like me you will try a tiny amount first to see what happens and gradually build yourself up to taking a full dose. Try asking the pharmacist and tell her/him of your fears they should be able to offer some advice. And find one that is right for you. Theres nothing worse than feeling tired and faint when your'e already anxious!
Good luck.
talk to you soon
Tiz

tizwiz
06-04-09, 19:12
Hi,

I have also been anemic throughout my life for unknown reasons. The last time it was so bad if my numbers had been a point lower I would have had to have a blood transfusion. I ultimately had to take liquid iron for over a year and see a Hematologist. I never saw any difference in my anxiety. I will say though I do have a thyroid issue which makes my anxiety levels up and down too so perhaps that is why. The iron deficiency made me very very tired and worn down and prone to getting colds and most anything that was around. I hope you both get better soon.

Take care,

Laura

Hi Laura
Thanks for replying that was quick!! Im getting to that point now and really don't want to have to go to hospital:scared15: or have a blood trasfusion.
I've just convinced myself that this is because of a long period of stress and anxiety/depression. It never seems to be as bad when Im having good periods in my life. Its a very odd coinsedence (think that is spelt wrong lol)#
I suppose if the iron levels are making you feel very tired and run down then its not going to help you with the anxiety at all is it? In fact I think it adds to it becaue I feel faint alot and Im always afraid i will pass out in the street. Which then makes me anxious. I wish that liquid iron was available on the nhs as it is quite expensive isn't it? I've heard a lot of people say its a lot easier to tolerate than tablets. I've upped my vitamin C intake though which is also supposed to help so I've got everything crossed that the next blood count has gone up!
Good luck with controlling your thyroid problem I hope you can stabilize it.
I will look into this iron thing a little more I think and I will let you know if I find out anything.
Kind Regards
Tiz

Zsofi
06-04-09, 20:12
Hello,

I have a very very low iron level too. The problem is that even if I take iron my body is not able to build it in... I remember a few years ago when my gp saw my iron level, looked at me and asked : "How is it possible that you are still alive?" Huh, thanks..
Just as Laura I have a thyroid issue as well, and I was also always wondering if these things are connected to anxiety or not.
Please let us know if you manage to find out anything, I'd be very interested!

Zsofi

charlotte83
06-04-09, 20:46
My iron is low too. Maybe it doesn't help anxiety but I'm not sure if it would be a cause on its own because lots of people get low iron and don't get anxiety.

I can see how it could defintiey make things worse, especially when you get a panic attack and already feel like you can't breathe. There will be even less oxygen going round the blood f your iron is low.

julia
04-09-14, 22:30
My iron is low 10 and high anx and thyroid prob s...interesting

MyNameIsTerry
05-09-14, 03:21
My iron is low 10 and high anx and thyroid prob s...interesting

Yeah, GP's just think its all stress, they tend not to rule out physical issues or deficiences and just look to anti depressants and referrals for CBT. Its incredibly lazy of them!

There are links between various physical problems and anxiety/depression such as diabetes, gluten intolerance, candida overgrowth and anaemia.

Think about the fact you iron to prevent fatigue. Also, you need vitamin C to help absorb & transport the iron. So, you could experience bouts of low mood through such fatigue which could lead to other things such as depression and worry which leads to anxiety. So, you can have all the therapy in the world but it won't change the physical issue, only your reaction to it which in the case of some illnesses, won't do that much.