PDA

View Full Version : So scared...gynae problem??

enigmatique
06-04-09, 22:35
For over 6 weeks now I've been having pelvic pain and some bowel issues, the GP keeps saying it's IBS (I've never been diagnosed with this before) but I've tried colpermin, colofac, spasmonal, dietary changes, mint tea etc etc and nothing's touching it. The latest is my period is nearly a week late which is really unusual for me, I thought it was coming on today but all I've had is a bit of spotting and (sorry TMI) bloody discharge, again this is really unusual for me, and I don't have my normal pre-period cramps. My GP did a pelvic exam and said everything seemed normal but I'm still so scared that I've got a nasty infection or something worse. I'm so worried :sad:

countrygirl
06-04-09, 23:20
why don't you go back to your GP and ask for a swab so infection can be ruled out but it more likely to be wonky hormones. How old are you??
I started with weird gyny things in my mid 30's that went on for a few years then had about 5 yrs back to normal but last 2 years I am def menopausal ( I am now 47yrs old). I was getting late periods then spotting for months then flooding period about 18 months ago and went thorugh all the gyny tests:weep: and in the end was told it was just my age and the menopause.

I have gone over 4 months without a period and like you the last 3 days I have had slight spotting and don't know what is going to happen next.

I had a routine pelvic ultrasound only a month ago that was normal.

Maybe ask your Dr for a pelvic ultrasound as this will ruleout fibrioids or thickened womb lining as being a cause neither of which is anything to worrya bout.

enigmatique
06-04-09, 23:22
And I wish my doc would send me for some tests or something. All she's done is a pelvic exam and palpated my abdomen, obviously it's great that neither shows anything bad, but surely you can't tell everything from just that? I've been in pain for 6-8 weeks now, pretty much constantly, I thought maybe they'd do some blood tests and a urine test at least, and maybe a stool sample to check for gut infections. But she just said IBS - I thought you weren't supposed to diagnose IBS until other things had been ruled out :wacko: ARGH STRESS!!

enigmatique
06-04-09, 23:29
Sorry countrygirl didn't mean to ignore you - we cross-posted. I'm only 23 so it's unlikely to be menopause, or to be honest really anything nasty unless I'm really unlucky, but of course at the moment I believe that I'm the 1 in a million. I KNOW the pelvic exam was normal, but then I worry that it's one of those things you can't detect with a physical exam. I was wondering about asking for a ca125 blood test (tumour marker) but I'm also scared to raise the possibility because then it becomes real :(

I plan on going back to my GP asap, hopefully tomorrow if I can get an appointment (my surgery seems to have a really random booking system!). She said give the spasmonal 10 days but not to take it for any longer cos the body can get too used to it. The 10 days is up and I'm not any better so I guess back I go...

The doc did say she didn't think it was hormonal because none of my symptoms seemed to be cyclical, but that was before my periods decided to go funny.

When I'm rational I'm able to convince myself that it's IBS but when I'm tired and in pain - the pain is worse in the evenings unfortunately, just when I have time to brood about it - I get into a worry cycle.

Sambapati85
06-04-09, 23:51
That is exactly it.. at night when i am alone as well .. is when i start thinking , and dwelling on these problems. I would say that your symptom are just stress and health anxiety in general... and i know whenever someone says that the first thin you think is something is not right with my body. I feel the same way people tell me its anxiety you are fine.. well i am not make believeing th symptoms they are real.. and because of these symptoms it is hard to get better when you are constantly worrying. I would say you need reassurnce, but once you get this reassurance the problem will still be there. Goback to your doctor and tell tem that you think that there is somethign seriously wrong and that you want a Ct scan.. that would be th most accurate testing you could get. What will happen is you will get the results back everything good ,, andthen you will qestion the accuracy of the test.. the problem is in our minds.. if it was physical the we could have it cured or treated.. but it is mental and his is a little harder of a problem.

enigmatique
07-04-09, 00:10
I hope you're right! The thing that's niggling at me is that the doc said something along the lines of she doesn't want to rule out that my anxiety might have a physical root i.e. something wrong with me making me anxious rather than the other way round. So even though she says she thinks it is anxiety, part of me is thinking "but you said..." and I never quite stop worrying. Whereas really I should pay attention to all the times she said 'I don't think your stomach problems are anything to worry about' lol.

Sambapati85
07-04-09, 00:19
Yea i hope i am right too .. you and me and all the rest of us healthy anxious people shouldnt have to deal with this. You know i dont quite trust doctors too much.. i mean it is your body. you know when something is rong or something is not right. people are misdiagnosed all the time.. your anxiety not physical.. you are making it seem phyical byconstatly dwelling on it , and i do the same thing i cant help it. do you have close ones . that can comfort you and help you? boyfriend close friends or anything? if you get a ct scan and it comes back clear then you will know what the problem is..its just believing that it is your mind.. its hard..i can safely say to some extent i know what it is like to actually have alif threatening disease by feelingthe way i feel all the time.. This has been the wost last 2 months in my entire life.. anyone who s suffering from a severe disease my sympathies.

enigmatique
07-04-09, 12:09
Well I went to the doc and she wants to do a swab for various pelvic infections, which I'll have done next week, and she is also probably going to arrange a scan (partly but not wholly to put my mind at rest) although she said she wants to consult with her colleagues first, apparently this is standard practice when they refer someone or if they have a tricky case. She seems to be taking it seriously at least, but not SO seriously that it would suggest it could be something really awful. I mentioned my fear of ovarian cancer and she didn't laugh (especially when I told her my aunt had breast cancer in her late 20s) but she didn't seem to think it was that likely either...I don't know how much of that was just her not wanting to scare me though :(

If I have the scan it'll be about 3-4 weeks she said, and my Mum said that in her experience if the doc was seriously worried, even if she didn't want to tell me that she was worried, then she would rush it through sooner than that.

I'm cycling between being reassured and even more stressed out than I was before :wacko:

Sambapati85
07-04-09, 13:13
well its good that yo uare going to get the ct scan .. soo you can relax a littleand know what is going on. The doctor is not going to hold back. in med school they are taught how to deal with patients and how tell them properly if there is somethign wrong.. she is a professional she is not going to willingly lie to you and put you at risk. Your mom is right. your condition will be something minor.. i can assure you if they did a blood test and your white blood cell copunts are ok and everything cancer is not an issue.! just try and relax a bit!!

penny79
07-04-09, 13:31
I hope you're right! The thing that's niggling at me is that the doc said something along the lines of she doesn't want to rule out that my anxiety might have a physical root i.e. something wrong with me making me anxious rather than the other way round. So even though she says she thinks it is anxiety, part of me is thinking "but you said..." and I never quite stop worrying. Whereas really I should pay attention to all the times she said 'I don't think your stomach problems are anything to worry about' lol.
Hi Ladies,

Have any of you had any internal scans to check ovaries or any investigations for your fallopian tubes?

I was diagnosed with blocked tubes, left side i have a toxin filled hydrosphinx which cause discomfort especially around ovulation, i also suffer from PID which is what caused my tubes to block and also suffer IBS, think this is due to the swelling that pushes on my bowel!!

Penny x

enigmatique
07-04-09, 13:37
I haven't had any kind of scan yet although I did have an internal examination which didn't turn up any abnormalities, so that's reassuring. I don't know whether the scan I'm going to have is a CT or ultrasound or what, I didn't think to ask - I'm crap when I'm at the doctor's, it's like my brain dribbles out my ears :wacko:

I just don't know what is what any more, I'm so tired and so fed up of this I can't even seem to keep track of my symptoms. I just want it to go away :(

Star0833
05-05-09, 03:10
Yes, I just had another ultrasound to check on a complex ovarian cysts. It's a little bigger and now they call it a hydrospinx. I too have days where I have problems with my bowels and I feel like I'm going to pass out. I told my dr's but they say Oh I've never heard of that before. My CT of the abd says bowels are normal. I believe that the cysts is pressing on my bowels as well. Now my BP has gone up and Blood sugar is low, I think it's the cysts. I haven't felt well for over a year now. This week I'm going to get serious about having this thing taken out. I've missed a lot of work these pass three weeks. I feel dizzy and I get very sharp pain from that thing. Star

Dreamer029
05-05-09, 04:22
At this stage of the game they shouldve already ordered a pelvic ultrasound. They shouldve done that after culturing for infection. I know healthcare works a lot different in the USA, but here it wouldve been ordered already. 6 weeks of pain is significant and needs to be explored along with your other symptoms. Hopefully the scan will sort out the problem.

Good Luck,
Lauren