PDA

View Full Version : Fear of the dentist

Madwoman
11-08-05, 09:08
Hi everyone,

Madwoman is back, I need your help guys,

I went on holiday last week and had a terrible time anxiious all the time and to top it all I broke my tooth.

I am in loads of pain and desperately need to see the dentist, I have an appointment tomorrow but I am so nervous/anxious and I am working myself into such a state I dont know what to do.

Ive got my rescue remedy on stand by and my lavender joss sticks but all ive done is shake this morning I feel physically sick and I cant keep off the loo.

HELP friends xx

vernon
11-08-05, 11:00
Hi Tracie, I fully understand I have had a horrible life long fear or dentists and only been a few times in my whole life (I am 56 now). I had been suffering toothache most days for about 2 years this time and to scared to even phone a dentist really Ill just thinking of it. I was also supposed to have eye surgery that I have been cancelling for over 3 years and even though I was registered blind and the surgery would have gave me some sight back I just could go. Anyway 5 weeks ago I finally went for the eye surgery it was much less than I expected as I was sure before going I would die. Anyway Ii got the eye surgery done and my site was Instantly much better, then the old toothache was still there, still so scared of phoning and in pain every morning on waking. And every time I ate, so, I looked up some Dentists on the net and in Yellow pages but this time phoned told them I suffered anxiety and was real scared of dentists, I also asked if the dentist would use the gel that freezes the gums before injecting. I found a dentist I thought would be caring and booked. I went god knows how but I did, I was shaking and shaking even more once in the chair but wanted it out of the way. I remembered my wife being phobic about needles and a nice nurse told her to twiddle her toes like mad and only think about how hard she could just concentrate on twiddling her toes and think of nothing ells, I tried this and it did help lots, I had the 2 teeth out that where hurting me and now feel so happy for the sake of a couple of minutes of discomfort, as if you ask for the gel you don’t feel the injection. Hope this helps a bit, and just think how good you will feel when it’s done? Take care. Vernon

PS let us know how you get on.

Madwoman
11-08-05, 11:34
hi vernon,

thanks for replying,

I get knocked out at the dentist, once that needle goes into my arm i dont know anything about it, its just getting me there in the first place and getting me into the chair.

I used to have a general anaesthetic but somebody died so they dont use it anymore, its just a large dose of some relaxant stuck in your arm, then you have the needles in your mouth. I will have to fo home and sleep for a few hours but if the tooth is taken out then thats another problem cos i hate blood especially my own.

I know im a total pussy, ive had 3 kids but i really cant help myself, i even have to get my teeth polished while im out or it never gets done, i havent been for 2 1/2 years and them it was when i lost a crown so i had to.

im just dreading it, what a state.

luv madsXX

nomorepanic
11-08-05, 12:03
Hi Madwoman

Try this previous post by Charlie - she is so funny that it will at least cheer you up ...

Day of Doom - Return to the Dentist II (http://www.nomorepanic.co.uk/showthread.php?t=4122)

Good luck!

Nicola

"Nearly all happiness comes into our lives through doors we don't even remember leaving open"

vernon
11-08-05, 13:04
Tracie I fully understand realy and I am the same the waiting and getting there is realy the worst. I used to have genral but am more scared of it now as you hear about people not waking up lol. And morso now I am older. The hospital gave me some sedative before my surgery and it was real good It realy made me that I didnt care lol. and anyone on this site will tell you how many times I canceled that, but now I have done it I think different and it can be done and its only our own thoughts that scare us. Take care. Vernon

Meg
11-08-05, 13:08
New here - fear of a panic attack (http://www.nomorepanic.co.uk/showthread.php?t=4331)
been (http://www.nomorepanic.co.uk/showthread.php?t=4408)
I didnt freak out at the Dentists!!! (http://www.nomorepanic.co.uk/showthread.php?t=609)

Meg
www.anxietymanagementltd.com

Your anxiety is the human representation of the pictures that you paint using your many vivid colours of revolving and reoccurring thoughts.
How big is your gallery ?

Madwoman
12-08-05, 10:35
thanks meg,

I have been to the dentist this morning but have to return this afternoon, they can save my tooth and will sedate me, I feel a bit better about it at the moment but I was in a right state this morning.

luv Txx

vernon
12-08-05, 12:21
well done tracie, hope it all goes well which I am sure it will

Meg
12-08-05, 15:26
Thinking of you xx

Meg
www.anxietymanagementltd.com

Your anxiety is the human representation of the pictures that you paint using your many vivid colours of revolving and reoccurring thoughts.
How big is your gallery ?

Madwoman
15-08-05, 09:10
well folks,

I made it in one piece 4 fillings and a scale and polish later im here to tell the tale.

The worst part of the episode was the checkup before the treatment cos once that needle went in my arm I didnt know anything else about it.

Still a bit sore though!!

Thanks for all your thoughts and reassurance guys.

love Trace xx

Meg
15-08-05, 09:46
Well Done for going through with it

Meg

bubblestar
16-08-05, 12:24
Hi

i know exactly how you feel. Ive put of going to the entist for so long because i get so anxious that now i need 5 fillings and some root canal work done... :( Dont think its helped that whenever i feel sick i start eating mints for the distraction and to help sooth the nausea! so now im paying for it. The intial appointment was ok, but last wednesday i had my 1st appoinment for the work to be done.. was a help of a state before i went but i made myself go.. (with my mum dragging me through the door!)
My dentist is a really nice man, which helps.. he was really understanding. Think that helps if your not good at the dentist to find a dentist that understands.. he was talking me through everything as he did it and was telling me how long left we had til it was over, and the dental nurse held my hand!! was a bit terrifying to start with, but once i sat in the chair and got on with it.. it really wasnt as bad as id set myself up for. Went in for the worst bit 1st. so now next week iv just got some easy bits to do.. then the root canal last.
When he had finished i was relaxed and felt fine. Still got 4 more consecutive wednesdays to go! but now i know i relaxed for that one, hopefully itl be ok.
Just remember that your fear is far stronger than actually doing it will ever be, take a deep breathe and beleive in yourself and youl manage just fine, if i can do it...i think any1 can!

Best of Luck

N xxx

Madwoman
16-08-05, 12:49
I must admit though bubbs, I do feel a bit of a lemon 43 and scared of the dentist, plus i'd got me mom to take me!!

still we cant all be bravehearts eh!!

good luck your'e braver than I

luv trace xx

gonemonkey
19-08-05, 03:41
hi all,
i had a big fear of dentists too. But after two of my teeth got so bad- I was begining to look like shane macgowan- I went. The first appointment was the worst and it wasn't helped by the fact the dentist said afterwards (he's Polish with a strong accent) 'We'll put you to sleep and do them all'. I thought he meant he was going to take them all out! I'm only 31! Anyway after much panic (and me explaining that I could not under any circumstances be put to sleep) he told me I had 2 root canals and 5 fillings to do. This was a few months ago and I've only got 2 fillings to go now. Every appointmnet goes better than the last. Unfortunately because I'm having so much work my mouth and jaw feel a bit sore which to my mind means only one thing- Cancer! So I cure one fear only to make another worse! Ah well...
night night
xx

FEEL_SORRY_FOR_ME
15-02-06, 02:36
[Wow!] I feel the same way too!
I have not gone to my Dentist for nearly 4 years.
Any advice on how to get me to go?
FEEL_SORRY_FOR_ME [Ugh]

I need lots of moral support!

nomorepanic
15-02-06, 20:03
Try this ....

Dental Phobia (http://www.nomorepanic.co.uk/NMPcms.php?nmppage=dental)

Nicola