PDA

View Full Version : length of attacks

lrforge
07-04-09, 13:23
What is the general length of your panic attacks? I had not had onefor a little while, last night it came and was here for about 3-4 hours. Now this morning, I feel jumpy and anxious like I did last night before they started...

CJH86
07-04-09, 13:58
An individual one doesnt tend to last more than 30 mins apparently, but you can have them run together and wax and wane for hours....mine do and i dont tend to notice when one ends and the next one starts. It the ones that run together for long periods of time that give aftermath and can make you feel on edge for a while afterwards, its the adrenaline i'd assume x

bel25
07-04-09, 21:04
Mine vary- sometimes i'll get a sudden skip of a heart beat which comes for a few seconds and goes. Or i'll get a bit dizzy, depersonalised, shaky, racing heart and occasionally a shortness of breathe, which lasts longer- say 1-3 hours. If i'm in a really bad state though, i'll think about it all day and although i won't have continuous PA i'll get bad anxiety inbetween many attacks. Depends on how bad you feel i think.

NoPoet
07-04-09, 23:59
Usually they don't last long for me, but about a month ago I began to suffer severe anxiety and panic attacks which seemed to last for hours. Since starting citalopram my anxiety attacks only last a few minutes or moments. I've become much better at spotting the warning signs and controlling them so it isn't just the pills that have improved the situation.

Jaco45er
08-04-09, 06:43
They are supposed to only last at high intensity for 15 minutes or so, but I am not so sure. I can remember being in states of panic for longer.

The aftermath of a panic attack leaves you in anticipation of another one. They are so distressing (but not dangerous) that your mind (and therefore, your body) go into a state of anxiety fearing another.

The hardest thing in the world to do is to say convincingly to yourself "OK I have had a panic attack, it maybe a long time before I get another, and even if I do get another one soon, it won't harm me", but if you can try and work towards that mental attitude, eventually the fear will lesson until they just drop off.

TC

Jaco

Nicola_lou
08-04-09, 16:52
mine last about 20 mins that when im really bad shaking cant breathe on verge of calling an ambulance. i have had about 4 in a row before when i was started on anti depressants so dtopped taken then. but you are also high with anxiety before and a long time after them. my