PDA

View Full Version : Sensitivity to Sunlight?

TC
07-04-09, 16:30
Hello. I was wondering if anyone else has experienced an increased sensitivity to sunlight since taking Fluoxetine?

I used to never burn in the sun. I had season passes to amusement parks for two or three years, and the sun never affected me. I barely even tan. But I went to the park again after I started taking Fluoxetine(at age 22), and I burned to a crisp! And just yesterday, I was out in the sun for maybe an hour and my face was so red the next day. It's strange, but the medication is the only thing that changed about me, so I figure it's the culprit. Has anyone else experienced this?

sharona
26-05-09, 12:16
Hi

Yes I have as well so it must be the meds. I also have to wear glasses when driving as the sun really hurts my eyes.

Hope this helps

Sharona

PoppyC
26-05-09, 12:22
Hi :)
I am on citalopram and my eyes are really sensitive to the sun. I feel like they are very dry,sore and itchy, and I go around squinting a lot - not very attractive I know, plus it causes wrinkles! :scared15: :lac:
I never used to get sore eyes before taking the tablets.
I too wear sunglasses now and find this helps, and also use eye drops, eye cream, and splash my eyes a lot with cold water which helps too. :shades:

TC
24-05-13, 13:51
I'm not sure why I didn't reply at the time (I got overwhelmed very easily with life) but your feedback did help.

I'm posting again now because even though I've been off Fluoxetine for around five years, the way it changed my sensitivity to sun is permanent. I got sunburn just yesterday from driving when it was very overcast and even rainy. It's ridiculous. I hope nobody takes this medicine without being sure they need it.

ChristopherT
24-05-13, 14:18
Sounds like a possible rare side effect from the Fluoxetine. I'll keep an eye on my Sunburn. I have fair skin, and only be on a couple of months, but haven't really noticed.

You might just have to do daily sunscreen ritual, and hope it goes away and maybe speak to your doctor. I was surprised a couple of years ago, I got super bad sunburn on my legs, and i grew up on the beach and never had that when I was younger. So it may just be a physical thing, or it may not be. Either way, sounds like you need to cover up a bit more now. Hope everything else is going okay though.

ladybug51
24-05-13, 15:27
Hi all, yes me too. It does say in the paperwork that comes with the meds that it is a possible side effect. I just invested in a Higher SPF in suncreams. Now all in need is the Bloody SUN!!
:D

Edie
24-05-13, 15:41
I haven't experienced this, but it can happen as a side effect. Assuming it's not giving you any other problems, I personally would be inclined to put up with this and invest in a high-factor sunscreen. Which is what us fair-skinned people have to do anyway :)

OncewasSupergirl
24-05-13, 18:43
I'm on fluox n I came out in a rash on the one day we had some hot sun haha! Definitely a side effect, although I did think it would wear off once you'd finished the tablets! X