PDA

View Full Version : Am I sufferiung with anxiety?

happyday
07-04-09, 19:54
I go to sleep but wake up after a couple of hours and have great difficulty going back as all sorts of things go through my mind. I often worry about all kinds of things many trivel. I find I feel dizzy light headed sick and my heart races awayI feel thirsty. i have no energy or enthuasism to do anything. help what can i do to hrlp myself?

MoodyBlue
07-04-09, 20:37
Hey, it sounds like anxiety to me! Has something triggered this anxiety or are you prone to these kind of feelings? I ask because mine is always triggered by a stressful situation, and if I try to concentrate on the positives, those feelings kind of sit in the background. Hopefully, once the stressful situation has sorted itself out, or I have managed to take myself out of it, all the feelings of anxiety disappear completely. Have you tried any of the self-help books? There are some recommended on here, and I'm reading one that I find really useful. It's about thinking about life in a more positive way, it's certainly helping me and I'm a glass is half-empty type of person.

Chin up!

CrystalStar
07-04-09, 20:46
That old saying about counting sheep in the middle of the night really does help, stupid as it sounds.

If you wake up and can't get back to sleep, close your eyes, breath slowly and deeply, imagine that you are looking at the flame of a candle in the dark and then slowly count backwards (in your head, of course!) from as high a number as you think you'll need. Even if you start at 1000 I bet you won't get to 0! Works for me every time.

Good luck.

alias_kev
10-04-09, 00:59
A chronic (ie. not short lived or narrow) class of anxiety is GAD - Generalised Anxiety Disorder. There is good info on the left menu about this and related problems and symptoms. The NHS also have an online page/test called "GAD 7" which can be useful for accessing your level of anxiety: http://www.patient.co.uk/showdoc/40026141/

If this is all new to you and a recent thing then you may just have some normal life anxiety or stress and it will pass. Consider if you've had any recent upsets or concerns at work, home, relationships, etc. Its like sadness or grief - its perfectly natural and even healthy in some contexts but after a duration or in other situations, or with no real cause its almost certainly a problem even if it doesn't warrant medication. It would probably do you good to talk about it with a trusted friend or failing that us or your GP.

Anxious_gal
10-04-09, 01:45
look up anxiety. if you tend to worry a lot then that can lead to anxiety.
go to your doctor or see a therapist.
just because if you don't learn to relax and not to worry , the anxiety may get harder to manage
i get dizzy a lot, heard races, i get thirsty a lot too, so don't be concerned about your symptoms they are perfectly normal

Plumpetals
10-04-09, 08:22
It definitely sounds like anxiety to me. Insomnia was one of the first (and major) symptoms of my anxiety. I know it’s hard to stop thoughts flooding into your mind – even if you know that they are trivial – but try to find something to distract you. I used to try and read or watch TV, but I actually found those strategies more stressful! Try doing a crossword puzzle or a numeric puzzle (like Sudoku). I found that since I have to think about the solutions to the puzzles, it distracts me from my problems. It has really helped me – hope the suggestion may be something helpful for you too. Good luck!