PDA

View Full Version : Sooooo frustrating

sahara
08-04-09, 11:16
Just a rant really. 4 weeks since my smear test. No results yet, but not suprised as they are probably really busy, but I can't decide what I am worrying about more, the actual results or whether they are even going to arrive.

I am so angry at the nurse saying that the lab might not look at my smear test.

I mean how long do wait before I question whether they have or haven't. I can't sit here and wait forever can I??
:weep:

Emira7
08-04-09, 13:42
Hey
I wait about 4-6 weeks at my practice for test results. And what you have said must be right, I am sure they are really busy due to heightened awareness and all that.

Why did the nurse say that? Surely they have to look if a sample has been provided.

Hugs
Emira
xxx

gemma85
08-04-09, 14:04
i had a smear test over 4 weeks ago i igot my results to day everything was ok thank god as i have had problems before. but if there was sonmething wrong u would of heared because when i had problems about 3 years ago i had my results in a week. no news is usualy good news :)

sahara
08-04-09, 15:04
Thanks ladies,

My nurse said they might not read it cos I went early and they may just bin it.

I went early because of wanting to try for another baby and my Dr said it was fine to do so.

But the nurse was really rude and said she will do the smear but didn't know whther the lab would bother looking at.

Thats why I am worried - I mean I could wait for weeks an weeks how would I know if they didn't read it?

Do I wait 6 weeks 8 weeks what what if nothing turns up? I really dodn't want it done again :weep:

ANNIEW here said they would read it (she is lovely and a nurse) but you know what anxiety is like you can't help but worry they might not esp now the nurse said that :weep:

sahara
08-04-09, 15:53
Hi Gemma I meant to say where abouts are you if you don't mind me asking?

(glad your are all OK)

I am Kent, Sevenoaks. Last time I had a smear I had to wait 9 weeks. I am just so fed up

xfilme
09-04-09, 04:21
I had two recently. The first one took two months, and the second took just one. The nurses at your surgery will be used to anxious calls over results... so best do what I do and ask if they mind you calling once or twice a week until they have arrived. But bear in mind, most of the time, the results are posted directly to you from the lab and then sent to your gp after. So more than likely you will hear first. No news is always good news, because they rarely send smear test results out if everything came back normal. So I would keep calling either way so that if the test results come back as expected, saying everything is normal, you will save yourself the worry that they might still be in the post.... its a stupid system. I had a rant at my doctor just last week about exactly the same issue. Bloody inconsiderate if you ask me x

sahara
09-04-09, 08:18
Thanks - Unfortutantely it was the nurse who was horrible to me and said the lab might not read it so....it the worry that nobody is looking at my smear and I won't get results back, because I guess they don't write to you and say sorry you are year early for your smear so we binned your test :mad:

Its sort of confusing because I could be chasing results that aren't there if that makes sense.

The Nurse said the lab might not even look at it because I am a year early. So how long do I wait before I question that?

Thats whats worrying me more? Am I going to have to get another one done!

Every time I get the post and the re is no letter I say phew, but then I think welll I might never get one because they haven't looked at it and I am going to have to go through it again.

I wosh I could get in touch with the lab and find out - if they haven't I would just pay private and get it done that way.

I guess this my OCD and HA working together quite nicely for me here :weep:

Trish
09-04-09, 11:25
I would say that if your smear has been sent they would have to look at it even if it was a year early....the lab wouldn't know that your Gp hadn't requested it, would they?

I think it would be more than their jobs worth for them to disreguard it.

Trish.

xfilme
09-04-09, 11:58
I totally agree with Trish. They have to do all tests sent through. The lab do not question why so it would be irrelevant to them if it was done early or late. Your nurse would not be allowed to throw your results away... instead they would deny it in the first place. She has nothing to gain through scrapping your test as her share of the work would already be done. Just be patient... there is a high demand right now and it often takes some time. Im sure everything will be just fine xxx

sahara
09-04-09, 12:34
Thanks Ladies - being patient was never one of my strong points, but I must learn to be.

Thanks for reassuring me though. Thinking about it logically if they didn't read them and it turned out I had a problem they would be in so much trouble it wouldn't be worth their while.

I can just feel myself obsessing about it - just when I was doing so well with my OCD :blush:

I am really hoping it won't be 9 weeks like last time. My poor Dr feels the same - last time I phoned him at least once a week 4 weeks after it was done for 5 weeks until the results came in!!!!.

Lucky he is patient i guess!!

eurotrashcub
09-04-09, 12:41
Is this a bit of the Jade Goody effect and everyone going beserk and having the test done at once?Maybe they are just really busy...

Also I am so sure that any test thats hows something really serious, means it goes on the top of the pile and you get contacted straight away.

Also do not poay too much attention to what one single nurse says, I get a different answer about procedure everytime I call my GP. It is just her opinion. I think that we should trust the health service to have a procedure that allows for your to be contacted straight away when there is a red flag result.

My experience is that if things are fine, doctors do not care. Buit as soon as something really serious arises, they will be calling you and advising you to make sure they do their job properly and that they do not get sued!

gemma85
10-04-09, 13:14
hello sahara, i'm from merthyr tydfil in wales. any news yet?

sahara
10-04-09, 13:56
Hi Gemma,

No news yet - no post today, I think we get post tomorrow.

I am being really daft, but feeling really scared about Tuesday cos we don't get post on Monday, dunno why just feels more scary not having had post for a couple of days - how stupid am I LOL

Thank you for asking!!

I love Wales - beautiful country