PDA

View Full Version : Thought I was better but I need your advice

j2
08-04-09, 14:38
Like many of you I have dealt with HA for years. Recently I really had been doing much better but the last couple of weeks I have felt nauseas and seemed to have lost a little weight. I have also had a really bad taste in my mouth and recurring upper abdominal pain. I simply thought it was my GERD acting up. I was proud of myself for not google-ing or freaking out. Well, I spent all last night rushing to the bathroom with diarrhea. This morning I come into work and check out a news website and what do I see, a whole headline about terminal illness and how people that are my age (37) are getting diagnosed with pancreatic cancer and dying 4 months later. I am beyond the pale with anxiety. Somebody please help me convince myself this isn't terminal and I am going to be fine.

justbananas
08-04-09, 16:18
first - it's a very rare cancer to begin with and especially rare at your age. the news is just always looking for some sort of story - and it's wrecked your head because you're attaching it to your recent symptoms. sounds like you should get checked out because you don't want to get dehydrated and it seems like you have a bacterial or viral infection of some sort, or it could just be stress or IBS. apart from that, you're fine!

j2
08-04-09, 19:57
I know what you are saying about it being a rare disease but I can't get it out of my head. I do appreciate the reassurance, I can use all that I can get right now. I just wish that my anxiety had an off switch.

justbananas
08-04-09, 22:26
i just went through a long bout with pain and nausea as well - i really think it was just underlying anxiety rather than an acute infection because it went on so long. the minute i stopped focusing so much on it.. it lessened until it went away completely. those articles are always going to freak us out because it triggers thoughts for you. you are healthy and you probably just think you are losing weight. you would know if you were really sick - it wouldn't be a maybe thing.