PDA

View Full Version : Hi Everyone

Cheryllynn
09-04-09, 04:13
My name is Cheryl and I was really relieved and hopeful to find this website. I have a fear of driving which is causing me huge anxiety and bringing on panic attacks every time I get behind the wheel. I have put off learning to drive because of this fear and now at the age of 40 am trying for the first time. I have had two lessons with an instructor who is really patient with me but i just find that as soon as i get anywhere near traffic i freeze. Forget everything i have been taught and just want to get out the car and run. The panic starts with a cold sweat and then progresses until i feel i cannot breathe. He has said to me that my driving itself is good and i catch on fast but am just finding it so hard not to let the fear take over. Would be really good to speak to others who feel the same and hear how you coped.

Cheryl

Patty
09-04-09, 09:13
Hi Cheryl, :hugs:

:welcome: to NMP. It's great that you've joined. There is so much information & help here.

I also have driving anxiety so I understand how horrible it is. WELL DONE for going to driving lessons that's brilliant!! The way that I am trying to deal with it is by gradually putting myself in the situations that I fear and staying in them until the fear goes down.

Best wishes :flowers:

Southern_Belle
09-04-09, 14:17
Hi Cheryl,

Welcome to NMP. Many here will understand how you are feeling and you will get their support.

Take care,

Laura

diane07
09-04-09, 17:51
A huge warm welcome to nmp

You'll get loads of advice and support here and make some lovely friends along the way

best wishes

di xx

kittykat
10-04-09, 09:53
Hi there and :welcome: to the site, lots of good advice and support here, and the chatroom is very good as well, take care xx