PDA

View Full Version : Outta the blue

Gryphoenix
09-04-09, 23:03
Okay, I had one of my first 'sort of' out of the blue attacks. I can trace where it came from but it really did hit me for a loop. I had eaten a bit of chocolate after dinner and had been feeling generally anxious all day, when I felt like I had to go to the bathroom ('no 2 if that's not tmi!' ) and it hit me with a huge surge of adrenaline. No caffine all day, either. It kept coming a few times and before I knew it my heart was racing like crazy. This scared me but I managed to pray and distract myself and fifteen minutes later I'm as right as rain, though shaky like crazy and feeling tired.

How can I prevent these? Usually I am situationally panicky, but without a situation to 'run' from this freaks me out. I kept getting flashbacks of my last panic a couple of weeks ago and thinking catistrophically--what if my heart doesn't slow down, yadda yadda yadda. Logically I knew it would, but the panic still hit me. I have no idea where those random adrenaline surges came from, how can I prevent those too? I don't want to panic every time I have to use the loo!

eurotrashcub
09-04-09, 23:10
The best way to p[revent panic attacks, at least when they start and until you have had time to learn to cope with them is with SSRI medication.

They will reduce rthe number of attacks and its intensity. Once you have been stabilised you can start to work with a therapist to learn how to cope wioth them as they occur. STop the automatic thoghts that make them worse, learn how to let the panic attack just pass etc... But this takes time and practise. YOu can be weaned off the SSRIs slowly once you feel in control. Or you can take them long term if you need them.

Panic attacks are naturally sudden, the surge of adrenaline come sout of the blue and the feelings are very unpleasant and alarming but they are physically harmless. IT is worth taking that intoc account and ensure this fact sinks in.

Exercising, getting enough sleep, eating well, avoiding stimulants and avoiding stress in general are common sense approaches to reduce the amount of panic attacks you have.

Good luck!

Dahlia
11-04-09, 17:48
Hi there - I noticed you said you had eaten chocolate before this attack. Chocolate does contain caffeine, and if you are sensitive it could be what made you need the loo in the first place, and also account for the panic attack. I had the same thing earlier in the week when I had eaten chocolate.

Dahlia