PDA

View Full Version : Been prescribed diazepam for over 2 months

Tori Frances
09-04-09, 23:19
I have been seeing a psychiatrist for my anxiety and depression who has been prescribing me with diazepam. I know its ok for short amounts of time but I have been taking it every day for 2 months now. This is because my old antidepressant, (clomipramine), stopped working for some reason and have had to start a switch to Citalopram which is proving a traumatic process.
Has anyone else had to take diazepam for longer than a few weeks - as in been prescribed it by their doctor? Is this ok given my circumstances or should I get a second opinion? Don't want to make things even worse for myself - they are proving pretty unbearable already.

eurotrashcub
09-04-09, 23:25
Hello

I have taken diazepam for longer than that at some periods. If your psychiatrist has prescribed it, it is fine. IT will help you until the citalopram kick in.

If you are worried talk about your doctor, but discontinuing diazepam while you are changing meds is a bad idea. Take it until you feel better and then wean off it

JUst make sure when you discontinue it, you do it slowly. ALternatively, you can start to use it just when you really really nbeeded as opposed to regularly

I only use it when I really cannot cope. Like once every coupl e of weeks or so.