PDA

View Full Version : breast lump....

hc91
10-04-09, 09:11
I'm 17, and I recently found a smallish lump next to my nipple, it is quite hard but smooth, and it seems to slip from my fingers when I try to pinch it.
I went to the doctors, scared to death, and she said that she thinks it is a fibroadenoma, and that it is highly, highly unlikely to be anything serious at my age. She said that I could go to the breast clinic and have some tests if I wanted, just to put my mind at rest.
But, because I have been so worried about this, she said that if it would just worry me more I don't have to go to the breast clinic, I can just come back and see her in a couple of months. I decided to just do that, but now I'm wondering whether I made the right decision - should I of gone and had some tests? If she thought it was something serious, she would of insisted I go wouldn't she?
I thought that going to the doctor would get rid of this horrible anxiety that I have been feeling, and it did for a day, but now I feel like I'm back to square one again.

abi
10-04-09, 09:43
Try to be reassured that Dr did not insist you go to breastclinic for now......and put it out your mind the best you can for next few days. Then you could go back to your Dr next week and say you still feel worried and make a decision at that point ,after discussion with her, as to whether to go to the clinic?

I had a very similar sounding lump 5 years ago (I was 27) and it turned out to be a fibroadenoma. The breast clinic was really not a bad experience..they reassured me a lot with each stage of the care/consultation.

Hope this helps.:)

the_nub
10-04-09, 10:53
I had a big fibroadenoma in March last year. It was about 2/3 the size of a golf ball. I SHAT myself when I found it. Breast clinic removed it because it was big. Whole process quick, brilliant, fairly painless. It was ace.