PDA

View Full Version : afraid to live

anteater
12-08-05, 16:55
Started a couple of years ago really. Had been through six years of stress and coped, so I thought. Two years ago I went to New York for the weekend. On the last day, I started feeling giddy, put it down to jet lag and then thought I was dying. In a foreign country, without my kids alone - really believed I would end up being shipped back to blighty in a plastic bag!

I thought it was a one off and six months later it happened again. I was out with a friend and I made him call an ambulance. The ambulance took forever to come and so long that the attack came and went. After that they have steadily come on more and more. Usually when I have a hang over but now at any time. In the supermarket, driving, in meetings, on holiday with my children, at home.

I am not living right now just existing and trying to come to terms with this. My work is suffering and I am starting to panic about that too. All a bit of mess really. I am a complicated person, always saying 'yes' when I should be strong and say 'no', this hasn't helped.

I am more positive since finding this site and am determined not to let
this beat me.

kairen
12-08-05, 17:42
Hi Anteater,

Its all about giving your brain positive thoughts, I was like you and in the end i eventually lost my job as i would get to work and only be able to stay until dinner time, that was many years ago, and like you i had good spells where i would be panic free for a while, but it always came back, this time it has been different after finding this site and reading all about panics and anxiety on this site i understand why and how they happen, i feel i am in control, im not saying i will never have another panic attack but i know it wont last and i can stop it, even the thoughts now are getting easier to dismiss, i did not realize how negative my thoughts were, every day my first thought would be oh no another day of feeling rubbish, i cant cope with this, etc,

I try so hard now to change the way i think about things, i try to think about all the good things in life, I constantly tell myself, im doing great, im happy and calm, yes sometimes i look a bit mad walking around asda with 2 kids sayin I AM HAPPY I AM CALM I CAN COPE WITH THESE TWO MONSTERS, out loud lol, but i truly believe it has made a big difference to me,

do hope this helps a little bit, there is a light at the end of it all

kairen x

Meg
12-08-05, 18:27
Glad you're both feeling stronger since being here with us . Kairen I don't think I'd heard about your great progress so well done for that.

Ant-

First Steps to overcoming Panic and Anxiety (http://www.nomorepanic.co.uk/showthread.php?t=942)

The Battle that Rages in my Head (http://www.nomorepanic.co.uk/showthread.php?t=4149)

Lets try to keep our thoughts in perspective (http://www.nomorepanic.co.uk/showthread.php?t=283)
Mind Games (http://www.nomorepanic.co.uk/showthread.php?t=1789)
obsessive thoughts & anxiety (http://www.nomorepanic.co.uk/showthread.php?t=3096)
Still suffering this damn "suggestive" thing.. (http://www.nomorepanic.co.uk/showthread.php?t=4288)

Meg
www.anxietymanagementltd.com

Your anxiety is the human representation of the pictures that you paint using your many vivid colours of revolving and reoccurring thoughts.
How big is your gallery ?

kimmy
13-08-05, 11:50
HELLO. when i started my panics it was out of the blue. i thaught i was going mad! anyways it went on blahblah. i went to see a counsellor and we spoke about it all. she spoke to me about affermations, they are positive statements you say to yourself throughout the day , you can print them up and put them places, like your fridge and cupboards and things. i used to say to myself whilst doing my breathing, "im calm, im safe and im in controle" eventually thee positive statements begin to change the negative statements, like is "it" back, how do i feel and so on. if you can say them allowed or just over in your mind. just choose something relevent to you, you can look for examples on the internet. i did come across a statement which meant so much to me, it was

"to change your world, is to change your thaughts"

it says it all. i wish you all the best for the future, you need to learn and remember thaughts cant hurt you, and thats all it is!!!! feel free to pm me, i actually feel sooooooooooo much better, and i still say my statements.

florence
13-08-05, 17:34
Hi Anteater

Wow, the way you describe your problems, it feels as if you r talking about me... I believe we have very similar fears, I can relate totally what you're going thru.
I really hope you'll get loads of support here.
All the best.

Florence.

**To accomplish great things, we must not only act, but also dream; not only plan, but also believe.**

anteater
15-08-05, 12:15
Guys, This has been the first weekend I have started to cope with my panic - thanks to you and this site. I have started to use the 'positive thought' processes you describe and it IS making a difference. Twice over the weekend, the attacks started but I was able to stop them and actually went shopping on Saturday and ENJOYED IT!! You are an inspiration, THANK YOU.

Meg
15-08-05, 12:30
Hurrah Anteater

Thats great news !!!

Energy Follows thought .....

Keep experimenting

Meg
www.anxietymanagementltd.com

Your anxiety is the human representation of the pictures that you paint using your many vivid colours of revolving and reoccurring thoughts.
How big is your gallery ?

Sue K with 5
15-08-05, 12:32
Hi ya

you have come to the right place for the support you need, saying no is the hardest word to use, we tend to try to keep others happy in the hope we will fill fullfilled so you are not alone there.

Thing is it always back fires on us. Stay strong and remember your not alone with this. there are certain ways to combat the panic attack and councelling is a good way to start. Deep breathing helps me combat the worse attacks and I know how hard it is but you just have to keep going

please pm if you need to chat

tc sue with 5

scknight

kimmy
16-08-05, 14:14
WELL DONE ANTEATER. keep up with the positives, they do change the negatives honest BUT just remeber you probably will have bad days, but now you know you can do it, it gets sooooooo much easier. xx

nomorepanic
16-08-05, 14:24
Great news Ant

Glad the info on here is helping you to improve!

Nicola

"Nearly all happiness comes into our lives through doors we don't even remember leaving open"

pips
16-08-05, 17:17
Hi Anteater i'm so glad the sites helping. Keep up those POSITIVE thougts! Your doing great!

Take Care,

Love PIP'S X X