PDA

View Full Version : Anxiety Is The Pits

thebronko
28-12-03, 14:07
Been suffering with anxiety now for just over a month..
Happened right out of the blue with no warning..

Was smoking cigarette when i took a wild panic attack..thought i was having a heartattack, felt really sick,sweating,faint...etc

Needless to say havnt had a cigareete since...even the thought of it makes me feel dizzy.

Been to the doctor several times convinced something is seriously wrong with me, the feeling are weird..light head,dizziness,breathless even wake up in the middle of the night thinking i cant breath...Scary...

Doctor as prescribed Citalopram 20mg...Been taking this drug for about a week now..helps with the symptoms for a little while but i am told you have take the drug for upto 4 weeks before the symptoms start to ease..Side affects seem pretty harsh...feel spaced out after taking one...weak legs,sore throat..etc..

Have cut these tablets in half as i feel 20mg is too much...dont want to stop taking altogether..

Does anyone have any experience of Citalopram and could give me some advice?

Also is there any link between Diabetes and Anxiety...I keep thinking something must have started my body feeling like this and it must be physical.

I am new to this feeling and cant stop thinking about it....Please help.

benoo5
28-12-03, 15:31
hi bronko,

and welcome...at the top right of this page,is a search facility,if you enter citalopram,you will read dozens of posts on this medication,and its side affects,and in a lot of cases,many posts about how it has helped.

also,if you go to the home page,you will see a link to an article,on anxiety,written by charlie,it will give you a lot of answers...one good thing has come out of this,you have stopped smoking....bryan.

kate
28-12-03, 16:39
Hi Bronko,

Thats the trouble with panic, it just happens "out of the blue" as you have discovered.

We all think that the synptoms have a physical cause,but providing that your GP has given you an examination and ruled out any physical cause,the next step is to accept that the symptoms ARE anxiety, easier said than done of course!

With regard to taking meds, this is of course, a personal decision that only you can make. When I first started suffering with anxiety and then depression, over 20 years ago, I was prescribed Prothiaden, an older type anti depressent. I was not aware of side effects of taking the meds and I didnt suffer any. I stayed on them for approx 2 years, was weaned off them gradually over about 6 months, and suffered no side effects coming off them.

I have been prescribed drugs more recently,but have decided not to take them. My personal choice of course.

If the side effects are particularly troublesome to you, go back and see your GP,explain your worries, and ask him to explain the side effects to you. He/she should then be able to reassure you that the effects you are experiencing are temporary and should subside within a week or two.

Above all, just remember that we have all been there and are always here to support you.

Kate x

Meg
28-12-03, 17:25
Robert,

Have you any realistic reason to think diabetes may be an issue ???

Meg

Watch your thoughts, they become your words...
Watch your words, they become your actions... Watch your actions, they become your habits... Watch your habits, they become your character... Watch your character, it becomes your destiny...

thebronko
28-12-03, 21:00
Radar,
Sometimes a good meal helps with the symptoms....sometimes not eating at all helps....

Anxiety makes you worry about all different issues because you feel really strange and cant put your finger on why that is. You start clocking things you have done against the way you feel to find some kind of connection..

Robert

Meg
28-12-03, 21:15
Robert ,

Use the search facility at the top of the page to check the previous posts on hypoglycaemia...eat little and often if this affects you at all.

Meg

Watch your words, they become your actions... Watch your actions, they become your habits... Watch your habits, they become your character... Watch your character, it becomes your destiny...

thebronko
28-12-03, 21:52
Thanks Meg,

Have read up on the hypoglycaemia....didnt even know it existed even though it makes perfect sense..

A lot is related to your eating habits and i must admit my eating is not exactly consistant...

Find it hard to eat much in the mornings due to the sicky feelings most days but try with toast and orange juice (not tea or coffee)

Due to the nature of my job, i usually wolf my lunch down or dont have any at all which makes me very crabit about 4pm onwards....

thanks again meg feel as though i am understanding some of the problems related to anxiety/panic...
Robert

Meg
28-12-03, 22:07
Robert,

So don't have toast which can be hard and rough to force down and only gives minute energy , try a yogurt or just a banana and then have something else a couple of hours later. A handful of dried fruit and nuts is easily carried and can be of a great help . Fruit part for instant energy and nuts for longer term. Not salted version .

If you're feeling sicky - watch for trapped swallowed air. Try a fizzy drink- not coke- and see if a good burp helps.

Vit B complex and Omega 3 if you're not eating well. www.questvitamins.co.uk

Meg

thebronko
28-12-03, 22:26
Meg,

You are a wealth of knowledge and agreat help to me personally...Thanks

Meg
28-12-03, 22:38
Robert

Also bear in mind that if you were a heavy smoker, you will be experiencing withdrawal symptoms from nicotine which may partially explain the current symptoms. That is not an excuse though to have another one ever again !!

Take care of yourself.

Meg

nomorepanic
29-12-03, 21:21
Robert

A lot of us associate our first panic with what we were doing at the time. I was driving so my biggest problem is guess what - driving!!

At least yours is associated with something that you should consider giving up anyway - lol. It certainly will help your health.

I have a big problem with drugs and I always imagine I will get every side-effect so I do!

As for the drugs - they told me to give it about 6 months for full effect so you may have to wait sometime for some real effects or you may be lucky and get them straight away.

Good luck

Nicola