PDA

View Full Version : Hello

sodapop
13-08-05, 10:47
Hi

I posted for the first time on another thread yesterday and Meg suggested that I leave a post here as well to say hi and let you know my story.

I have been suffering anxiety attacks for the last four months. I think that I have had them on occasion previous to this but just didn't know what they were, but the recent spell seems to have been sparked off by an incident that happened when I was abroad with my boyfriend. I was very hungover and thought I was going to faint (I didn't but it was very scary). I know now that that incident was probably due to low blood sugar, but I was then so scared of fainting or feeling faint that I was feeling anxious every day, especiallyif I had to travel anywhere (unfortunate because I have to travel an hour on the tube to get to work each day !).

Ironically I was beginning to feel much better over the last two months, with a combination of self help books and homeopathic remedies - a few attacks but I dealt with them without too much bother and knew them for what they were and felt good about things. However, I felt ill at work on Wednesday (a bit hungover again) javascript:insertsmilie('[:I]') and it seems to have sent me right back to where I started if not worse. I have felt anxious non stop for the last two days. Nauseous, dizzy and trembling at the thought of leaving the house. Tearful and can't concentrate. Terrified at the thought of going to work on Monday. Frightened of life. It feels like I am being punished for being over confident in the last two months and thinking I was better.

I think that the time may have come to go to the doctors as I'm not sure I can deal with this alone and I'm worried about the strain it is putting on my wonderful boyfriend ! I am not keen on the thought of meds but I need to get some relief from the voice in my head that is permanently commentating on how i feel because it's exhausting ! I think that CBT might help - how long have people found it takes to feel the benefit of CBT ?

Thanks for listening everyone. This site is a great resource and reading other people's success stories really helps.

Sodapop

seh1980
13-08-05, 10:48
Welcome aboard!! :)

Hope we can offer you some good support :D

"Life is too important to take seriously" Corky Siegal

Peru83
13-08-05, 11:12
<center>WELCOME</center>

Hi Sodapop,

You have come to the right place, And no your not being punished because you got over confident, it's just something that happens.

I don't really blame you for not wanting to take meds but don't rule them out completely. I've been on meds for 8 weeks now and have only had 1 panic attack! I do still get anxious and suffer depression but I do feel that the meds are definatly taking the edge off how I'm feeling. Good for you though if you do manage to do it without meds there are alot of people here that don't take meds and manage. I'm just saying that sometimes you just have to accept that you need a helping hand.

Hope that you start to feel better soon, why not come into the chat room at nights. Were a barmy bunch but good for a laugh or just to talk about problems

look forward to chating to you.

Take Carexx

Claire

"Of all the things I've lost I miss my mind the most!"

Karen
13-08-05, 11:21
Hi Sodapop

Welcome to the forum.

Karen

It is not easy to find happiness in ourselves, and it is not possible to find it elsewhere.

Mcched
13-08-05, 11:35
Hi Sodapop

I suffer from anxiety too and had my first huge panic attack back in March. Since then I have been trying to deal with the bad gremlin on my shoulder that keeps asking if I am ok and how do I feel and telling me that I may faint. Have you ever fainted?? I haven't so now I tell myself well if you did what would be the worst that could happen?? Not a lot really.

I went to my doctors but refused meds and am on St Johns wort at the moment. It takes about 6 weeks for them to start working but at the moment I feel better and am now getting myself back to a near normal life. (I was scared to go out on my own in case something bad happened)

Have you tried rescue remedy by bach, its fab, its like my comfy blanket and you just spray iton your tongue when you get anxious!!!

Maybe try counselling, I find that it helps and sometimes there are things that could be causing you to panic.

I think I have always had an eliment of panic in my life but sometimes it gets uncontrollable.

You have come to the right place as I have had lots of support and its good to know that you aren't suffering alone.

Welcome aboard

Nikki

sodapop
13-08-05, 11:43
Thank you all so much for your messages. It helps a lot to know that other people have been there (and worse!) and got better...Sometimes its hard to believe that it will pass.

Claire, thanks for your message - I'm definitely not going to rule out meds and I'm so pleased to hear that they are helping you. To be honest, I'm usually the first person telling people that AD's are nothing to be ashamed of so perhaps it's time I took some of my own advice !

Jake, I just wanted to say that I read your post yesterday and I hope you are having a better day today. I'm so glad that you can get some support from posting on this site and if you need to chat just give me a shout !

Sodapop.

nomorepanic
13-08-05, 15:08
Sodapop

Love the name by the way.

Welcome aboard the forum - good to see you here.

I did CBT many years ago and it was a big help but I think the NHS waiting lists are horrendous at the moment - sometimes up to 18 months!

If you don't want to go on meds then we can support you in other ways as well. Diet and exercise are 2 good things to look at first as is correct abdominal breathing and a good relaxation CD.

Hope we can be of some help anyway.

Nicola

"Nearly all happiness comes into our lives through doors we don't even remember leaving open"

Piglet
13-08-05, 16:18
Hi Sodapop,

A big welcome to the site and maybe we'll catch each other in the chatroom sometime.

Love Piglet[8D]

"Supposing a tree fell down, Pooh, when we were underneath it?" said Piglet.
"Supposing it didn't," said Pooh after careful thought.

Meg
13-08-05, 20:57
First Steps to overcoming Panic and Anxiety (http://www.nomorepanic.co.uk/showthread.php?t=942)

http://www.nomorepanic.co.uk/symptoms.htm

CBT Questions (http://www.nomorepanic.co.uk/showthread.php?t=222)
Maxine's cbt progress. (http://www.nomorepanic.co.uk/showthread.php?t=2308)

Meg
www.anxietymanagementltd.com

Your anxiety is the human representation of the pictures that you paint using your many vivid colours of revolving and reoccurring thoughts.
How big is your gallery ?

pinkscrumpy
14-08-05, 21:45
welcome to the site sodapop

:D:D

MANDIE XX

pips
15-08-05, 15:25
Hi Sodapop,

A BIG warm welcome to the site I do hope that it helps you.

Take care,

Love PIP'S X X