PDA

View Full Version : That Mood Switching Moment

Plumpetals
11-04-09, 07:49
You know that moment, when everything is going well (or just ok) and then all of a sudden something switches in your mind and you suddenly feel anxious?
Shoulder and neck muscles tense up, hands suddenly clench, breathing becomes short and slightly constricted, jaws tighten, teeth grind, and you just can’t move …

What irritates me the most is that it’s often the simplest, almost insignificant, things that make me react this way. Why?

Last night it happened. I had just come into my office at home when my partner called out and asked me to do something. It was a simple request. No pressure. No big deal. Yet my reaction was to feel tense. I guess I had just wanted to take a moment for myself and that had to be put on hold, but my physical reaction seemed so disproportionate. I had no reason for really feeling so tense. I felt trapped … and it’s a trap that I created for myself, which just makes me feel worse.

So, I just took a deep breathe, put on a (tense) smile, and walked to where he was. Trying to calm myself down in my mind from having a potential anxiety attack for a reason that I didn’t know and I reason that I definitely couldn’t explain to him. It took me a LONG while before I felt somewhat relaxed.

I hate feeling this way. I hate feeling so out of control.

starlight78
11-04-09, 11:29
Hi Plumpetals,

I understand what your saying.. i can be ticking along during the day everything ok, then suddenly something will change it and i'll be off on some trail of bizarre anxious feelings and if i dont catch it it will move to a panic attack.. I find Clare weeks books really helpful in making me realise that i dont need to be in control of my thoughts and feelings all the time, i just have to accept them for what they are... it helps, but i still have a way to go.
Wishing you lots of happiness and luck x

krog
11-04-09, 14:27
You know that moment, when everything is going well (or just ok) and then all of a sudden something switches in your mind and you suddenly feel anxious?
Shoulder and neck muscles tense up, hands suddenly clench, breathing becomes short and slightly constricted, jaws tighten, teeth grind, and you just can’t move …

What irritates me the most is that it’s often the simplest, almost insignificant, things that make me react this way. Why?

Last night it happened. I had just come into my office at home when my partner called out and asked me to do something. It was a simple request. No pressure. No big deal. Yet my reaction was to feel tense. I guess I had just wanted to take a moment for myself and that had to be put on hold, but my physical reaction seemed so disproportionate. I had no reason for really feeling so tense. I felt trapped … and it’s a trap that I created for myself, which just makes me feel worse.

So, I just took a deep breathe, put on a (tense) smile, and walked to where he was. Trying to calm myself down in my mind from having a potential anxiety attack for a reason that I didn’t know and I reason that I definitely couldn’t explain to him. It took me a LONG while before I felt somewhat relaxed.

I hate feeling this way. I hate feeling so out of control.

Brilliant post :)
It could have been written just for me !
I sometimes think of my anxiety as being on a hair trigger.
The slightest disturbance can set it off for little or no reason.
What highly strung folk we are :D

Plumpetals
11-04-09, 14:52
I’m glad that there are people out there who can relate, though I wish we didn’t have to go through it.

Starlight, I do try to ‘reason’ with myself by reminding myself that I don’t need to be in control over everything or that I can work through this in a logical manner. Unfortunately, it’s easier said than done! I, too, have a long way to go!

Krog – Thanks for your reply! We definitely are high strung!!

BobG
12-04-09, 22:51
Hi,
I can definatley relate, any request from anyone asking me to do anything feels like amassive deal, then i get anxious and almost angry that im being expected to do something!

Anxiety is such a horrible thing, it intrudes on every single bit of our lives. For me, i wouldnt say i have panic attacks as such, for me it seems like one big long attack, that never seems to end. Many years ago i suffered from what seems like classic panic attacks, huge wave of fear, feeling faint, racing thoughts- but then when it passed i felt really good - elated almost. They then passed for a number of years. Now they seem much more subtle, i dont feel them coming on most of the time, just wham - right in the middle of it and it seems to hang around endlessly.

My biggest fear of anxiety is the feelings of unreality - which thank god seem common. Before i found this site i had no idea that it was such a common thing, or that anyone else had ever had it! For me its the worst part, everything seems so distant and like im watching everything through a haze, truely terrifying. Does anyone have any hints for dealing with depersonalisation?

Thanks all, good luck to everyone

Anxious_gal
13-04-09, 00:29
I so know what you mean! Like I was in a supermarket, it was really busy but I was ok, then I got anxious, suddenly I felt overwhelmed! I became sooo sensitive to everything! the people in my way, noise, lights, my own symptoms!
then i went outside I couldn't even stand the humming of the cars!
but it is good to notice how anxiety effects you as it's easier to calm down and be like I'm ok it is just anxiety!

Plumpetals
13-04-09, 04:25
BobG – There are periods when I’m feeling constant anxiety. I don’t know which one is worse, to have a panic attack or to feel a relentless drizzle of anxiousness. While feelings of unreality are not my main problem, I have experienced it a few times – usually when I’m under a lot of stress and just need to take a moment for myself … Though instead of making time for that moment in reality, I kind of just drift away and everything seems so distant. Unfortunately, instead of making me feel better/calmer, it usually makes me feel more disoriented.

Mishel – Having an anxiety attack in the middle of a random place, like the supermarket, is so scary! But I totally agree with you that it’s a positive step when you can recognize what is happening to you and find a way to calm down and move forward. It’s not always easy, but for me, it’s the only way I can keep going.

Thanks for your replies J

nicros
13-04-09, 14:34
Hi
I too do all of this. I deal with derealization by counting which I know is an OCD but it really helps me. Wherever I am I can always find something to count, such as floor tiles in the dentists or wallpaper patterns in the Dr or things on shelves in super markets, it just stops me concentrating on the feeling and therefore making it worse, It eventually calms me down.