PDA

View Full Version : is medication the only solution....

kirgray
13-08-05, 11:49
Hi Everyone

Ive been wandering has anybody actually felt better doing alternatives instead of taking medication?. Im far too scared to try medication Ive done CBT, rescue remedy, I take herbal pills but I am still having very up and down times-is there anything else I could try?. XKX

Piglet
13-08-05, 12:22
Hi Kirgray

Well I'm not taking any medication and I do think its possible - but its an awfully personal thing and equally dependent on the circumstances of the moment.

I did have prozac for 3 months 6 years ago but like you wanted to try the alternatives but would hope to always keep an open mind on it.

Have you tried any essential oils - I have always sworn by lavander oil on a cotton wool ball in my pocket for breaking my chain of thought and relaxing me. I am also adding neroli to this list as I am finding that beneficial too. Have you read the remedies page by Meg/Nic etc which I found very inspiring when I first read it.

If I think of anything else I'll let you know.

Love Piglet

"Supposing a tree fell down, Pooh, when we were underneath it?" said Piglet.
"Supposing it didn't," said Pooh after careful thought.

kirgray
13-08-05, 13:08
thanks piglet, yes I got myself down to boots with my reward card and got the botanics lavender oil. Its luvly gives me a really deep relaxing sleep, boyf has also been pinching it and putting it on his pillow!!!. I will try the cotton wool thats a great idea, could I buy neroli from boots?.

I know that the medication is there if needed but I feel that would be for me my last resort only because I am so scared of taking it....I know it does wonders for a lot of people....

Its the dizziness and headaches I have real issues with, any suggestions will be great XKX

Meg
13-08-05, 15:34
Is it possible to beat anxiety without medication? (http://www.nomorepanic.co.uk/showthread.php?t=4488)
Strategies for coping (http://www.nomorepanic.co.uk/showthread.php?t=2680)
Some of my symptoms and explinations. (http://www.nomorepanic.co.uk/showthread.php?t=4495)

Meg
www.anxietymanagementltd.com

Your anxiety is the human representation of the pictures that you paint using your many vivid colours of revolving and reoccurring thoughts.
How big is your gallery ?

Piglet
13-08-05, 16:24
Hi again Kirgray,

I get my essential oils from my nearest health food shop - I've never looked in Boots but you could try there first.

Another thing alot of us do is drink water alot and carry a bottle of it around with us.

I did a post a while ago that was called 'whats in your anxiety toolbox' that you may like to read, think its in the misc forum or could have been in the remedies one.

Love Pigx

Meg
13-08-05, 17:05
What would be in your 'Anxiety Toolbox'? (http://www.nomorepanic.co.uk/showthread.php?t=3938)

kirgray
13-08-05, 20:58
Piglet and Meg-thankyou for the anxiety tool box post!!fantastic idea-Piglet I want yours!!, I am going to start it tommorow with my cotton wool ball and the neroli oil!! thanks guys XKX

pennyroyaletea
18-08-05, 18:39
I can strongly recommend yoga, meditation and even hypnotherapy.
Hypnotherapy has enabled me to explore deep relaxtion which I then try to revisit when I'm in situations which make me have panic attacks.
Give it a go.
Yoga - hatha yoga is great because it centres you and helps you learn more about breathing as a form of relaxtion.

pennyroyaletea
18-08-05, 18:41
Although saying that ... I didn't have the strength to go to the yoga classes until I'd been on Citalopram for about 4 months because I was so scared of having a seizure ... but now I've done it a few times I know what I can get from it so I focus on that and not the anxiety.

Meg
18-08-05, 19:11
Thats the spirit .... well done.

I went twice a week whenI was acute but had to have someone come with me as I was so afraid.

My partner came once as there was noone else available and sat at the back of the room all suited and booted writing out reports and everyone thought he was the Ofsted inspector and I didn't feel up to explaining my need.

Meg
www.anxietymanagementltd.com

Your anxiety is the human representation of the pictures that you paint using your many vivid colours of revolving and reoccurring thoughts.
How big is your gallery ?

pennyroyaletea
22-08-05, 14:33
Heheheheh! that is hilarious!

Piglet
22-08-05, 14:37
Lol Meg - I like that!!

Love Pigx