PDA

View Full Version : New & very worried

jsmith_79
11-04-09, 18:12
Hi,

I found this forum through search and so glad I have. I'm so worried that something horrible is wrong with me and wondered if anyone could help. To be honest I think I might have a Brain Tumor or some kind of Brain Cancer. :weep:

My symptoms have been going on for 6 weeks and are weird vision - goes blurred in my left eye quite a lot and is really scary, Headaches - this is everyday but not really bad all day and sometimes not until the evening, sore throat with a pain in my ear, feeling light headed everyday and some muscle aches.

I have been to the doctors and they decided to do some blood tests which came back normal and she looked in my eyes (and I've also had an eye test) which was normal). The Dr has also checked my throat and ears and they were fine too. I asked for a Brain scan and she said NO and that it's not a turmor but anxiety but the meds she has given me are not working and I still feel the same.

What can I do? She won't listen to me and I don't want to die :weep:

Sorry for the moan and thanks for any help.

Jane.

nomorepanic
11-04-09, 18:22
:welcome:

It is not a brain tumour if you have headaches as they are not a symptom of brain tumours.

Have a read of the Symptoms page on the left and you will see that most of what you have can easily be explained.

Also read the medication page too.

jsmith_79
11-04-09, 19:32
Thanks for the reply. I appreciate your comment but on the Bupa website and NHS Direct they say that they do cause Headaches that are usually bad in the morning and get better as the day goes on. Mine aren't always bad in the morning though, sometimes it's all day and sometimes it's just morning and/or evening time. Put this with the bad vision and I'm worried!

countrygirl
11-04-09, 20:22
Most brain tumours will cause signs that are visible to an optician - hence looking at the back of your eye - opticians pick up most brain tumours as any pressure in the brain shows in the back of the eye - I know 3 people who were totally symptom free but an their routine eye test the optician was worried about pressure at back of eye and sent them for further tests.

Also alot of brain tumours first symptom is a siezure (fit) which is why anyone who has a fit for first time is given a brain scan.

I think everyone on here has had your symptoms - the time to be worried is if you have serious problems with coordination - have a fit- lost sight in an eye and other serious symptoms.

If you really can't get past this fear and can afford it then you can have a mri scan of brain for as little as £250 privatley but do still need a GP referral.

katiewoo
11-04-09, 22:44
i feel the same...constant headaches etc etc....makes you feel that the drs dont believe you / and or are missing something...!
i dont want to die either...but i keep telling myself, well if im going to die then i cant actually do anything about it....and im wasting any time i do have left! haha....its a vicious circle....somethimes i feel like that perfectly logical, other times i feel like im driving myself insane and am going to die immenantly! :(
xxx

melody
11-04-09, 23:58
Hi,

It could be what's called a cluster headache. This is where you get sharp pain behind one of your eyes. Any longer term headache will cause dizziness. I get a lot of headaches. I have had the same headache for 7 weeks. It won't go away until I stop freaking out. Easier said than done huh! There isn't a cure for these. Treating symptoms includes having a nap if you need to, cooling your face down, breathing exercises. Close your eyes and try to get the tension out of there that has built up by relaxing them under your eyelids.

Life is hard when you are in pain all the time. It feels like no one understands and everyone expects you to do everything everyone else can do, even when you feel horrible. You are probably letting how crook you feel influence your thoughts. You're in terrible pain, you feel in an awful mood, so something must be terribly wrong??? Not true!!!

Pain can sometimes be your bodies way of screaming at you to slow down and have a rest from the constant activities some people do to try to block out the anxiety. Have a rest, lots of water. Eat well to keep your energy up.

I hope you feel better soon :)

Summer74
12-04-09, 00:12
Hi Jane,

Could it be that you have a very tense neck and/or shoulders?
I think my health anxiety actually started from that. I had some of your symptoms plus a horrible choking feeling in my throat, and the more I surfed the interweb for a suitable diagnosis (the list is endless), the worse I felt - partly because of the anxiety and partly because the more time I spent on the computer, the worse my neck & shoulders got - what a vicious circle.
I didn't even realise that was the cause until a friend offered to give me a massage and she was really shocked how tense I was! I used to feel so dizzy that I couldn't walk straight. Anyway, a month off the computer and gentle exercise did the trick (it was about 2 years ago), but I wasted months freaking out about it, please don't make the same mistake :)

nomorepanic
14-04-09, 12:57
Interesting what the BUPA site says as I have a book all about headaches and another medical book and both say that headaches are not a symptom of brain tumours so who do you believe?