PDA

View Full Version : Even more worried

AmandaL
12-04-09, 10:42
I just started propranolol today, and this is my first try with treating my anxiety with medication. I found that I freaked out on it, before it kicked in I was having a panic attack. It just felt so weird after it kicked in, my mind was in a frenzy and I felt like my body was just building the panic attack up. I've also noticed that around 15 or 20 minutes after taking it I get really scary thoughts, much worse than just my usual worry. Should I stop taking it and wait until Monday to talk to my doctor?

I'm so scared that I'll never feel better again.
Somebody please help me.

Jaco45er
12-04-09, 11:09
Hiya Amanda

Try not to worry. Propranolol just slows the heart down a tad and helps calm a racing heart and palpitations.

They do not act like an SSRI type med and do not act on the brain. as such.

If you are really worried, have a word with your Doc. As for stop taking them, if you are only taking them for anxiety and not other reasons (high BP etc) then there would be no harm in stopping them until you speak to your doc on Monday but I stress you should always follow your Docs advise first.

I am not a fan of meds, and had a terrible time on SSRI's but I do pop the odd propranolol to stop my heart racing and my BP going through the roof with anxiety.

One side effect with these Beta Blockers can be vivid dreams and sleep disturbance, but apart from that the other effects seem to be with circulation.

It might be they have lowered your BP and that's why you may feel a touch dizzy and then you are maybe stressing and adding to it.

Either way, if you are stressing over taking them, you might be more relaxed once you speak to your Doc.

Hope you feel better soon

Jaco

AmandaL
12-04-09, 18:36
Thank you so much!